University of Nebraska to Waive Tuition for Families Below Nebraska Median Income

• Mavric changed the title to University of Nebraska to Waive Tuition for Families Below Nebraska Median Income

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I commend them for doing this especially in relatively short notice.

However, I would prefer it to be a sliding scale.  Say, if you are from a family 60,000 or less, it's free.  then, from 60,000 to 80,000 it's scaled to the point of if you make 81,000 you're out of the program.

It's really going to suck for the kid whose family makes 61,000 per year.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....if a football player comes from a family that makes less than 60,000 so he gets free tuition and he walks-on to the team, does this scholarship count towards the 85?

An interesting question.  But I'm assuming they're emphasizing "tuition free" because they would still have to pay for room & board, books, etc.  And he wouldn't be getting the stipend dollars that scholarship players do.

So I wouldn't think that would count.  But who knows.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's great.  It will really help out kids whose families might not now be able to help pay for school.

I'm interested in knowing where they are coming up with the money.  

Probably going to raise out of state tuition even higher. :(  Luckily I think I should only have 1 semester left till the daughter graduates.

I just told my daughter about this. Her response was, “well, they should increase the admissions standards then” :lol: