Palpable Buzz College Football Moves to Spring 2021- Impact to Nebraska?

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Wait.  A statement like that caused confusion??!!??  Whoda thunk it?

Since UConn football is a bit of a wandering in the desert, I'm thinking their stance on things isn't exactly emmanating from much of a leadership post. We might need to remind the UConn Prez that Gino's view here doesn't resonate much...

• Haha 1

With the possibility that the fall/winter time could be significantly worse with seasonal illness and the pandemic I just don't see how you can push the season back. It seems like you're moving it further into a time when we could see lock downs again.

I'd think it makes more sense to move it up into a summer season when it seems more likely that infection rates will be relatively low. Maybe like a July-Oct season.

10 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Ironically UConn has made a NY6 bowl more recently than Nebraska 

Sure, there are always statistical outliers; but I'm of the opinion that if you were to ask 100 random college football fans who (between UConn and Nebraska) would have more input and/or relevancy in the college football landscape, it would probably be 100-0 UNL.

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

With the possibility that the fall/winter time could be significantly worse with seasonal illness and the pandemic I just don't see how you can push the season back. It seems like you're moving it further into a time when we could see lock downs again.

I'd think it makes more sense to move it up into a summer season when it seems more likely that infection rates will be relatively low. Maybe like a July-Oct season.

You can't do a summer season because most schools have already closed campus for summer school.  And the presidents and ADs have made it clear that they are not holding a season if the students are not on campus.

• Plus1 1

I think we will have a season.  Even states like NY and NJ are talking about opening back up.  I know someone at a testing sight up there and the number of people coming in for testing is way down so they are sending volunteers home.  I know people have their views on this whole thing but if you just look at the numbers of how many people have actually been infected and the deaths (even being inflated because they are pretty much ruling every death due to corona virus) the death rate isn't even a percent.  Too much money is on the line.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

You can't do a summer season because most schools have already closed campus for summer school.  And the presidents and ADs have made it clear that they are not holding a season if the students are not on campus.

I totally get that and I agree that's not likely to happen. I just think a summer or early fall season would actually be better because the CDC director was saying yesterday there is a good chance we see a second wave in the fall/winter that is even worse than this first one. If that's the case there is no way we are having a spring season.

7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think we will have a season.  Even states like NY and NJ are talking about opening back up.  I know someone at a testing sight up there and the number of people coming in for testing is way down so they are sending volunteers home.  I know people have their views on this whole thing but if you just look at the numbers of how many people have actually been infected and the deaths (even being inflated because they are pretty much ruling every death due to corona virus) the death rate isn't even a percent.  Too much money is on the line.

Don't want to get political , but the bolded is just plain false.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

• Plus1 4
18 hours ago, Red Five said:

Don't want to get political , but the bolded is just plain false.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Because the New York Times says it's false?  Come on man...  It has been widely reported by multiple outlets that there is at least some inflation of the death totals as any death where someone had the virus is counted as a Covid-19 death.  I'm not down playing the seriousness of the virus but when stage 4 cancer victims are counted as a coronavirus death, it's a little skewed.  It's a bad sickness that I witnessed first hand in a close friend.  There were a couple days where he was really concerned.  In the end, he pulled out of it just fine just like 99+% of healthy people will.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Because the New York Times says it's false?  Come on man...  It has been widely reported by multiple outlets that there is at least some inflation of the death totals as any death where someone had the virus is counted as a Covid-19 death.  I'm not down playing the seriousness of the virus but when stage 4 cancer victims are counted as a coronavirus death, it's a little skewed.  It's a bad sickness that I witnessed first hand in a close friend.  There were a couple days where he was really concerned.  In the end, he pulled out of it just fine just like 99+% of healthy people will.  

exactly what I was getting at.  There have been doctors and nurses that have said they were told to rule it as covid-19 even when it wasn't really the main cause of death.  Kinda like if I pushed you off a building and said "I didn't kill him, the ground did".

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If a stage 4 cancer patient is hit by a bus, it effects the survival rates of cancer patients.

This is how these numbers work.  A person with AIDS doesn't die from 'AIDS" they die from pneumonia or other complications.  But AIDS is listed as a factor.  Just like they note that patients have underlying conditions.

• Plus1 3