Tribalism and the Truth

40 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not sure I follow this particular passage.  I’ve never heard before that conservatives think people are bad and we need to protect them from themselves.  Most conservatives believe people can inherently take care of themselves, have free will, but may need a hand from time to time 

I don't disagree with what you are saying Archy.  I think the perspective of the speakers are the conservatives are more concerned with putting in place laws that keep order in a society. - Once laws/rules/regulations are in place - then have at it as you mention.  And by laws and regulations, I'm not talking about all of the govt regulations on businesses - different topic - I'm talking about the general laws that govern a society.  So when they say they see people as bad, I think they mean that enough rules need to be in place 'to keep the honest guy honest'.  

Here are the rest of other biases that are mentioned in the podcast 

8. Complimentary Bias:  If people are nice to us, we hear them - if not, then we tune them out

9. Confidence Bias: Our brains prefer a confident lie to a hesitant truth.  We mistake confidence for competency.

10.  Conspiracy Bias:  When we feel shame, we are vulnerable to the stories that cast us as victims of an evil conspiracy by some enemy or other.  We like stories that cast us as the hero or the victim but never as the villain.

11. Comfort,  complacency Bias:  Our brain likes data that allows us to be relaxed and happy and rejects data that requires us to work or adjust.  The brain is lazy but is very fast at being lazy.

12.  Catastrophe, normalcy or baseline Bias:  Our brains are wired to set a baseline of normalcy and assures us that what feels normal has always been normal and will be normal in the future.  We minimize threats, warnings, and are vulnerable to disasters - especially slow moving disasters (think climate change!!)

13.  Cash Bias:  Our brains are wired to see within the framework of our economy and we see what helps u make money and survive.  It is hard for us to see anything that interferes with us making money. 

29 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying Archy.  I think the perspective of the speakers are the conservatives are more concerned with putting in place laws that keep order in a society. - Once laws/rules/regulations are in place - then have at it as you mention.  And by laws and regulations, I'm not talking about all of the govt regulations on businesses - different topic - I'm talking about the general laws that govern a society.  So when they say they see people as bad, I think they mean that enough rules need to be in place 'to keep the honest guy honest'.  

Sounds better to me how you put it than the “expert” :)

• Plus1 1