Which game means more to the direction of the program- Iowa or Wisconsin?

Which game means more to the direction of the program?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It was sarcasm, pointing out that everyone else is in the same boat. No one else is practicing, so our lack of practice alone doesn't put us behind anyone else. 

My kids also question my sarcasm :)

53 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It was sarcasm, pointing out that everyone else is in the same boat. No one else is practicing, so our lack of practice alone doesn't put us behind anyone else. 

Meh. I think helps the more established programs because they already have a working system.  They already have good teams, so it makes it harder for other teams to catch up.  But I think it really hurts teams with new coaches and coordinators.  So I think we're in the middle.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:41 PM, seaofred92 said:

Late in the season in the midst of a brutal 5 game stretch, the Huskers play back to back games against Iowa and Wisconsin on the road. Which game, to you, would a win mean more for the direction of the program? 

11/14 @ Iowa: Stanley is gone, and Iowa loses a bunch of guys from last year’s team that eeked out a win in Lincoln. Iowa has won 5 games in a row dating back to 2015 in this series.

11/21 @ Wisconsin: They bring back Jack Coan but lose Jonathan Taylor. Wisconsin has won 7 in a row in this series, and Nebraska has only won 1 time EVER in Madison- 1966. Wisconsin has been to 4 of the last 6 B1G Championship games. 

I don't think you can pick one or the other at this point.  We are in a position where we need to break out and beat both of them to get some recruiting momentum.  True breakout season.  You win and the cred starts to come back.  

• Plus1 1

As an outsider, thought I would provide some remarks...

Wisconsin has established itself as the dominant program in the B1G West.  They rank Top-10 nationally in wins over the last decade and been to the B1G Championship six times; Iowa, Nebraska and Northwestern have one appearance each.

If you're Nebraska, and trying to move the program in the right direction, beating Wisconsin is nice, but I don't think it has the same significance as beating a rival.  Nebraska beats Wisconsin, and Wisconsin still has a good chance to reach Indianapolis.  Nebraska beats Iowa, and starts doing it consistently, the Huskers become a mainstay near the top of the West with Wisconsin.  That's when you begin looking at taking the next step against Wisconsin.

Just my .02.

• Plus1 1

Fair assessment badgers007.  I can agree with you but I also think the gap is fairly small between you and Iowa in the last couple years.  I thought they had you beat last year late in the 4th.  Either game would be big for us this year as that stretch is pretty brutal. 

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Fair assessment badgers007.  I can agree with you but I also think the gap is fairly small between you and Iowa in the last couple years.  I thought they had you beat last year late in the 4th.  Either game would be big for us this year as that stretch is pretty brutal. 

Iowa is a competitive program - I wasn't trying to diminish that.  Under Kirk Ferentz, they are a consistent eight-win team with a double-digit win season every four years, on average.  Those numbers make Iowa an annual B1G West threat, but have just one title appearance to Wisconsin's six.  Though Wisconsin can't beat Ohio State, the Badgers take care of business everywhere else.  Iowa, save 2015, finds ways to slip and fall short of B1G appearances.

The 'gap' between Iowa and Wisconsin may be smaller than numbers suggest, but put me in the boat that thinks an Iowa win is more of a program-changer than Wisconsin, whose margin-for-error is larger (currently, of course) than every program in the West.

Again, I am only an outsider.  You all have better-perspective than me of ways Nebraska can make a 180.