OLB Patrick Payton [Florida State Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

13 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Payton commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

Oh, but wait we are terrible at recruiting and the sky is falling.  

This is the type of talk that kinda irks me. Yeah it's nice to be optimistic, but we also need to be realistic. He's a 3* recruit. Does he have the chance to become a "monster" if the stars align? Of course. But we also need to look at how he compares to the recruits that other teams are getting. Even with this pledge, we're still only #29 in the recruiting rankings. When we start finishing in the Top 12-15, then I'll be satisfied with our recruiting. Let's not act like every recruit we land is the second coming of [[insert NFL all-time great here]]. We've finished 4-8 & 5-7 the past two seasons and haven't won a conference championship this century. I'd say the sky fell a long time ago.

• Plus1 2

Cane fan take:

Not a take in this class, unless we missed on our top targets & we're not taking more than 2 pass rushers this class. 

He's a player that's a year or two way & needing development before he can make an impact. Needs a redshirt & a full season in the S&C program. 

Is lengthy splash play kid but needs to learn better hand fighting technique & has to get stronger functional upper body strength. He's a raw pass rusher that relies primailry on atheletiscm.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This is the type of talk that kinda irks me. Yeah it's nice to be optimistic, but we also need to be realistic. He's a 3* recruit. Does he have the chance to become a "monster" if the stars align? Of course. But we also need to look at how he compares to the recruits that other teams are getting. Even with this pledge, we're still only #29 in the recruiting rankings. When we start finishing in the Top 12-15, then I'll be satisfied with our recruiting. Let's not act like every recruit we land is the second coming of [[insert NFL all-time great here]]. We've finished 4-8 & 5-7 the past two seasons and haven't won a conference championship this century. I'd say the sky fell a long time ago.

You are entitled to feel like that.  Don’t care about his ranking.  We have been looking for players built like him for awhile and have not been able to land them.  You can look at those 2 records or you can look how young we are and how close we are.  Either way I guess.  

Some people are never happy.  We could have a class loaded with good skill players and people will complain about where are the Lineman. We need to get better in the trenches.  Well, this class we have 3 OL that we really wanted l, and 3 LBs which we desperately are in need of.  Signing day is a long ways away.  I will hold off judgments on the class until then. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You might want to stop following recruiting.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 7
4 hours ago, Treand3 said:

1st Team All Miami-Dade county performer. Underrated yet good get. If our local kids don't want to be N, get the national kids that do.

I like this get.  Nebraska is a national college football brand.  I think it is better for college football when Miami is good but their fans seem to dwindle when their team is bad (FSU too).  There's lots of other schools like this we compete against (some in conference too). 

• Plus1 2

17 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We have 6 commits. I count 19 teams ahead of us that we have a better average star ranking than. I bet if you wait until the end we we will be much closer to 15th than 29th. Hell, I bet we finish closer to 12 than we do to 29. 

What this does is fill a major need. Frost has done an incredible job his first 2 cycles at recruiting the players we need to fill holes (sans this specific need, we have struggled a bit here). Every class it seems we get many of the key positions that we need that year, while at the same time bringing in more talent than we have seen in a decade or more. It seems like common sense but its actually tough to do. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

I bet if you wait until the end we we will be much closer to 15th than 29th. Hell, I bet we finish closer to 12 than we do to 29. 

I'll take you up on that bet. 

All I'm saying is, it just seems like every time we land a recruit people act like it's some amazing feat. But in comparison, other teams are doing the exact same thing, and better. 3* guys are ok, but we need primarily 4 and 5* guys if we expect to win championships. Like it or not, every national champion in this century, with the exception of 2010 Auburn, has had multiple Top 12 classes in the years leading up to their championship season, including at least one in the Top 5. Just look at how many guys teams like LSU, Bama, Clemson, & Ohio State had drafted compared to us. Stars matter. 

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'll take you up on that bet. 

All I'm saying is, it just seems like every time we land a recruit people act like it's some amazing feat. But in comparison, other teams are doing the exact same thing, and better. 3* guys are ok, but we need primarily 4 and 5* guys if we expect to win championships. Like it or not, every national champion in this century, with the exception of 2010 Auburn, has had multiple Top 12 classes in the years leading up to their championship season, including at least one in the Top 5. Just look at how many guys teams like LSU, Bama, Clemson, & Ohio State had drafted compared to us. Stars matter. 

You're right. Everyone agrees we've got to ratchet the talent levels in Lincoln up quite a few notches if we're going to get back to playing for championships.

But it's always a chicken & egg discussion. What happens first? Recruiting top talent or winning? Frost has actually done really well given the circumstances, bringing in the 23rd/17th/20th rated classes his three years here per 247 rankings.

Given the piss-poor performances on the gridiron in that time, that's really quite good. Nebraska has definitely fallen to the point where we should be OK with top 25 classes for now.

He's getting his chosen talent in. Now he's got to really show he can do something with it. Winning will beget more winning and that makes it way easier to recruit.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I get what your saying, but I'd be willing to bet that he ends up as a 4-star. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a high 4-star. He has everything that a 4-star OLB has - plays against high competition, has great production and he had a great frame. His only knock is his weight. But his weight actually is that bad - 5-star OLB Terrance Lewis is listed at 205, whereas Patrick Payton is listed at 210. 

Great addition and he will end up being one of the gems of this class. 

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, lionsfan93 said:

I get what your saying, but I'd be willing to bet that he ends up as a 4-star. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a high 4-star. He has everything that a 4-star OLB has - plays against high competition, has great production and he had a great frame. His only knock is his weight. But his weight actually is that bad - 5-star OLB Terrance Lewis is listed at 205, whereas Patrick Payton is listed at 210. 

Great addition and he will end up being one of the gems of this class. 

Agree on the weight.

If there's one position where I feel OK bringing in a guy who is really light and needs to hit the weights it's pass rushers. Would rather get the most athletic dudes possible and bulk 'em up once they get here.

• Mavric changed the title to OLB Patrick Payton [Florida State Commit]
  • Mavric unpinned this topic