OLB Patrick Payton [Florida State Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

13 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Payton commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I would be shocked if he signed with us 

Come on.  He is a Florida guy, we know he will sign with us but transfer to a Florida school after a semester.  JK!

Excited for this guy.  Has the build of a pass rusher and is very twitchy.  Would really help our secondary out by getting a rusher of his caliber.

• Haha 2

Payton racked up 17.5 sacks as a junior at Miami High. He began his prep career playing some safety before eventually being asked to rush off the edge. While there was a time when it appeared that he was destined to be a 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level, there's a chance that he could grow into a more traditional pass-rushing 4-3 defensive end as he's up to 6-foot-5, 210-pounds and has a frame that should allow him to add 25 pounds or more.

Nebraska landed a commitment from Payton back in May, but the Cornhuskers are already having to play some defense. Payton confirmed after he helped hold Miami Palmetto to just 88 yards of total offense in a 17-7 win on Thursday that he continues to hear from the folks at Florida State, but added that nearby Miami's coaching staff also reached out last week.

"They just said that they are going to keep in contact," Payton said of the Hurricanes.

While it might hard to turn down an opportunity to play close to home should Miami push for a flip, Payton maintains that nothing has changed with Nebraska, although it should be noted that he has never visited or toured Lincoln.

Something that will be interesting to track over the next two months is whether or not Payton utilizes the Early Signing Period as he made it seem like he could wait to see if the NCAA decides to once again extend its temporary recruiting period.

"I don't know," Payton said. "I could take some visits if we can take some visits."

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This is the type of talk that kinda irks me. Yeah it's nice to be optimistic, but we also need to be realistic. He's a 3* recruit. Does he have the chance to become a "monster" if the stars align? Of course. But we also need to look at how he compares to the recruits that other teams are getting. Even with this pledge, we're still only #29 in the recruiting rankings. When we start finishing in the Top 12-15, then I'll be satisfied with our recruiting. Let's not act like every recruit we land is the second coming of [[insert NFL all-time great here]]. We've finished 4-8 & 5-7 the past two seasons and haven't won a conference championship this century. I'd say the sky fell a long time ago.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'll take you up on that bet. 

All I'm saying is, it just seems like every time we land a recruit people act like it's some amazing feat. But in comparison, other teams are doing the exact same thing, and better. 3* guys are ok, but we need primarily 4 and 5* guys if we expect to win championships. Like it or not, every national champion in this century, with the exception of 2010 Auburn, has had multiple Top 12 classes in the years leading up to their championship season, including at least one in the Top 5. Just look at how many guys teams like LSU, Bama, Clemson, & Ohio State had drafted compared to us. Stars matter. 

#FreezingColdTakes

• Plus1 4
  • Mavric changed the title to OLB Patrick Payton [Florida State Commit]
  • Mavric unpinned this topic