Roster Building

10 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

What is considered a hit and what is considered a miss?  I also think during a coaching change and when there are changes in scheme that has an impact on your success rate so not too sure I will get too shook up on this.  

I'm not sure anyone is going to get "shook up" about this.  It's information for discussion.

And...yes...coaching changes do make an impact on this.  But, when you go back to 2009 and a pretty high majority of our top recruits don't pan out...well...that's both a symptom and cause of the problem. It's a vicious circle that has to be broken.

What I don't understand is, what are "guys"?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

And here is a major part of our problem. Pretty hard to build a good roster when this is happening. 

I definitely think this is a problem.

But I have no idea how he came up with his "hits".

For 2009-2016, here's who I would say are pretty close to "hits" (how many he had in parenthesis).  I suppose he has a lot of these guys as "guys" but if you're a multi-year starter that would seem to be a pretty good "hit".  Unless he's only going to call a guy a "hit" if they're nearly an all-conference type of player.  He didn't even list all the guys that made NFL rosters as "hits".

QB (1) - Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong

RB (2) - Rex Burhkead, Ameer Abdullah, Terrell Newby, Devine Ozigbo

WR (5) - Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, De'Mornay Pierson-El, Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman

TE (0) - Cethan Carter

OL (1) - Jeremiah Sirles, Brent Qvale, Jermarcus Hardrick, Zach Sterup, Tanner Farmer, Nick Gates, Jerald Foster, 

DT (1) - Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins

DE (2) - Randy Gregory, Carlos Davis, Khalil Davis, Ben Stille

LB (3) - Eric Martin, Lavonte David, Josh Banderas, JoJo Domann

DB (7) - Dejon Gomes, Ciante Evans, Damion Stafford, Mohammed Seisay, Nate Gerry, Joshua Kalu, Lamar Jackson

And apparently Jaimes is the only "hit" from 2017-2019?  Obviously a lot of those guys are still working their way up but no Adrian Martinez?  Cameron Jurgens? Cam Taylor-Britt?  Wan'Dale Robinson?  Seems like his bar is pretty high.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What I don't understand is, what are "guys"?

Seems like those are players who pretty much did what was expected.  Solid contributors but not stand-outs.  Looks like you had to do something pretty special to be a "hit" instead of just a "guy".

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

For 2009-2016, here's who I would say are pretty close to "hits" (how many he had in parenthesis).  I suppose he has a lot of these guys as "guys" but if you're a multi-year starter that would seem to be a pretty good "hit".  Unless he's only going to call a guy a "hit" if they're nearly an all-conference type of player.  He didn't even list all the guys that made NFL rosters as "hits".

WR (5) - Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, De'Mornay Pierson-El, Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman

TE (0) - Cethan Carter

OL (1) - Jeremiah Sirles, Brent Qvale, Jermarcus Hardrick, Zach Sterup, Tanner Farmer, Nick Gates, Jerald Foster, 

DB (7) - Dejon Gomes, Ciante Evans, Damion Stafford, Mohammed Seisay, Nate Gerry, Joshua Kalu, Lamar Jackson

And apparently Jaimes is the only "hit" from 2017-2019?  Obviously a lot of those guys are still working their way up but no Adrian Martinez?  Cameron Jurgens? Cam Taylor-Britt?  Wan'Dale Robinson?  Seems like his bar is pretty high.

I would agree with this.  I have been trying to decipher his numbers.

So...what is a "guy"?  Is it someone that falls in the middle between a hit and a miss?  That's kind of strange.

edit:  I see your answer above.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

TE (0) - Cethan Carter

For OL I would say Spencer Long was a hit. He had an injury midway through his senior year, but he was arguably the best olineman we have had since 2010. He was our last All Conference offensive lineman. 

Just now, HuskermanMike said:

For OL I would say Spencer Long was a hit. He had an injury midway through his senior year, but he was arguably the best olineman we have had since 2010. He was our last All Conference offensive lineman. 

Yeah, I'd say you're right.  I was only looking through the list of scholarship recruits so I missed him.

• Plus1 1