QB Riley Leonard [Duke Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

17 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Leonard commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/plus/after-a-talk-with-scott-frost-alabama-qb-riley-leonard-really-likes-nebraska/article_d349a123-32cd-5eaf-81f9-9f1805a148dd.html

Fairhope football coach Tim Carter said Leonard is “deceptively fast” and has run a time of 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He’s smart and well-spoken. Now college coaches known for developing quarterbacks like Frost and Duke’s David Cutcliffe are seeing the potential too.

“I can’t think of two better coaches in college football that understand and recognize strong quarterback play,” Carter said. “For Riley, it was a great compliment. And he really likes Nebraska.”

Leonard’s relationship with the Huskers began in late January, when Frost made a surprise visit to the high school on the same weekend as the Senior Bowl in nearby Mobile. Now the courtship is ramping up, with the prospect set to take a virtual tour of the school Thursday. NU’s 2020 quarterback signee, Logan Smothers — also from Alabama — contacted him Tuesday and began a dialogue.

While the recruiting shutdown has given Leonard clarity that football will be his college future, it leaves doubt as to whether he will be able to visit his chosen school before committing. He still plans to declare before his senior season, in part because he knows most schools like Nebraska will only take one QB in the cycle.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Would we take him and Haarberg?  Is this an offer to get Haarberg to accept quickly?

I personally would only take 1.  They have 3 schollie Qb's on the roster and 2 walkons.

I like the concept of 1 schollie qb per class with a goal of having 4 on the roster.  

To me  Haarberg and Leonard are the same with similar build and speed.    I seem them as guys who are more throw first but can run a little when needed to keep defenses honest.   

I say take the first one that accepts.    

39 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I personally would only take 1.  They have 3 schollie Qb's on the roster and 2 walkons.

I like the concept of 1 schollie qb per class with a goal of having 4 on the roster.  

To me  Haarberg and Leonard are the same with similar build and speed.    I seem them as guys who are more throw first but can run a little when needed to keep defenses honest.   

I say take the first one that accepts.    

Counterpoint: with the rate of QB transfers, I want a QB room as full as possible. If this means 5 on scholarship, then do it. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Counterpoint: with the rate of QB transfers, I want a QB room as full as possible. If this means 5 on scholarship, then do it. 

The downside there is I think it would increase the transfers even more. Guys are going to transfer, that's just how it is. But more guys are going to transfer in that case, and then we're allocating 5 scholarships for a group where we know 2-3 of them likely won't do anything for us. The walk-ons can transfer as well, but they're at least more likely to stick around. All scholarship guys isn't going to keep the room as full as a mix of scholarships and walk-ons.

And to keep it at 5 scholarship QBs would be really tough - Say you've got a perfect distribution, Sr/Jr/So/Rfr/Fr. 2 are probably transferring - at least one of the oldest 3 for playing time, and likely the So. or rFr. depending on whose ahead there. Now to get back to 5 scholarship guys, do you just recruit 2 more the next class? Or try and find a grad transfer willing to be a backup? I'd take a walk-on whose been in the system a few years over either of those options.

• Plus1 1

First you need a great starter.  “Depth” is not worth much if the guy is not starting material.  Almost no freshmen QBs are ready to be counted on as a starter to perform at a winning level, particularly when your offense is so heavily dependent on great QB play.  

Bring in players who are intelligent and exceptionally football smart and as athletic as possible for this offense.  

It seems to me the problem with the offensive schemes Frost wants to run is that “average” or above average caliber QBs are not good enough for 9 win teams. It takes great players playing great at QB for this offense to score points efficiently (big plays etc) vs just basic efficient consistent sustained drives.  A lack of fundamental run game and traditional ball control - first down churning plays - type plays.  Its kind of hard to put your finger on the missing ingredient in this offense I guess but there is just some core element(s) not coming thru in my view.  I understand that there are missing parts (special playmakers) all over the team but there still remains something amiss in our QB play despite having Adrian (the supposed best in the country?) at Frost football. 

• Haha 1
On 5/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

First you need a great starter.  “Depth” is not worth much if the guy is not starting material.  Almost no freshmen QBs are ready to be counted on as a starter to perform at a winning level, particularly when your offense is so heavily dependent on great QB play.  

Bring in players who are intelligent and exceptionally football smart and as athletic as possible for this offense.  

It seems to me the problem with the offensive schemes Frost wants to run is that “average” or above average caliber QBs are not good enough for 9 win teams. It takes great players playing great at QB for this offense to score points efficiently (big plays etc) vs just basic efficient consistent sustained drives.  A lack of fundamental run game and traditional ball control - first down churning plays - type plays.  Its kind of hard to put your finger on the missing ingredient in this offense I guess but there is just some core element(s) not coming thru in my view.  I understand that there are missing parts (special playmakers) all over the team but there still remains something amiss in our QB play despite having Adrian (the supposed best in the country?) at Frost football. 

Please wait until our front 6 are solid and then evaluate the situation from that view point regarding QB position

• Mavric changed the title to QB Riley Leonard [Duke Commit]