RB Gabe Ervin

HuskerBoard Predictor  

12 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Ervin commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

Awesome!  Welcome Gabe!

Good blend of speed and power.  I like backs that can make that sharp cut to get through a crease.    Plant that foot and get vertical go!  Those are productive guys. 

This has been a good thread for me.   A player I wanted  committed and I learned some stuff from other posters in the thread. 

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to RB Gabe Ervin [Nebraska Commit]
  • Mavric pinned this topic

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Has a good set of offers but a low 247 rating. Hopefully he turns into the player his offer list suggests. 

Nebraska's recruiting has been adding solid developmental pieces but needs to start adding more high end talent. 

Just Why?

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Has a good set of offers but a low 247 rating. Hopefully he turns into the player his offer list suggests. 

Nebraska's recruiting has been adding solid developmental pieces but needs to start adding more high end talent. 

Just wait. Just wait. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

Just Why?

I thought the purpose of a message board was to express my opinion with other football fans.

My opinion is that Nebraska football will not be served well by getting into a battle of development with Wisconsin and Iowa.

My hope is that the class finishes like last years, which is possible but hopefully doesn't come down to signing day. 

• Fire 1

Sometimes I think recruiting sites put to much stock in 40 times & combine testing.   There are other things like vision (seeing creases develop)  or balance that play a big role and aren't measured at camps.    Another thing is ...can they make that first guy miss or break that first tackle?  T.O use to say that about Kenny Clark.   Clark wasn't the fastest or biggest but he had great balance and with his combination of talents he often beat that first guy.   I think Mr Evin has good vision.   He isn't one of those backs that's always bouncing outside,  instead he's hitting a crease. 

1 minute ago, flatwaterfan said:

Sometimes I think recruiting sites put to much stock in 40 times & combine testing.   There are other things like vision (seeing creases develop)  or balance that play a big role and aren't measured at camps.    Another thing is ...can they make that first guy miss or break that first tackle?  T.O use to say that about Kenny Clark.   Clark wasn't the fastest or biggest but he had great balance and with his combination of talents he often beat that first guy. 

They do...because that is easy.  Remember that they are a business and the more info/stars/grades they can give out the better it is for business.  

Watching game film and/or attending games is not easy.  Having 100 RB's line up and timing them is super easy.

So they have a model they follow and it works for them.  When recruiting sites first started, like Edgy Tim out in IL...that dude was actually hitting up 4-5 games every Friday to watch a quarter here and there and then write about the players and sort of rank them.  It was a slow a$$ process that really only covered the Burbs of Chicago.

Rivals and 247 isn't going to invest that type of manpower and really, why would they?  You might see a game where the kid sucks...or where he is amazing...you might see a game where the kid got in trouble that day at school and now he isn't playing that night and you have wasted your night.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I thought the purpose of a message board was to express my opinion with other football fans.

My opinion is that Nebraska football will not be served well by getting into a battle of development with Wisconsin and Iowa.

My hope is that the class finishes like last years, which is possible but hopefully doesn't come down to signing day. 

You must develop, even 4 star recruits 

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

They do...because that is easy.  Remember that they are a business and the more info/stars/grades they can give out the better it is for business.  

Watching game film and/or attending games is not easy.  Having 100 RB's line up and timing them is super easy.

So they have a model they follow and it works for them.  When recruiting sites first started, like Edgy Tim out in IL...that dude was actually hitting up 4-5 games every Friday to watch a quarter here and there and then write about the players and sort of rank them.  It was a slow a$$ process that really only covered the Burbs of Chicago.

Rivals and 247 isn't going to invest that type of manpower and really, why would they?  You might see a game where the kid sucks...or where he is amazing...you might see a game where the kid got in trouble that day at school and now he isn't playing that night and you have wasted your night.

Fantastic point.  Never thought of it that way.   

2nd time in this thread that I have learned something.   

• Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This isn't completely directed at you but you speak on something that has been on my mind.

For me, its not so much seeing who develops better versus Iowa and Wisconsin. Its more so being able to develop what we get in general. Hasn't been a lot of that this past decade. Both of them recruit in a away where they aren't going to make a lot of top lists of blue chip prospects, as it comes with a certain game/circumstances that they don't want to engage in, risk not filling their needs and not filling much of their classes by seasons start since they like to use their time focusing on in season affair. Particularly, Wisconsin has been closing on higher end kids but many of them are either: in state/neighboring state, commit early due to WI scouting or have an existing connection to the program already. Iowa has seen an increase in their in state talent.

Conversely, I feel our ceiling is a bit higher than both as a recruiter, so if all things on the field were equal, Nebraska would be far and away more capable of adding that high end talent you speak of in larger quantities imho. For Nebraska currently, this class may not reach last year or the year before, but it should have filled needs, but I still want to see what happens if there are visits. Going forward it won't take much to get into the top 20 as long as there are tangible results to support. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

This young man can break the opponents ankles.. something we've not seen since Ameer. I'm excited to see how he develops.

As for the recruiting talent. I think it's been said and it's something I agree with. Just win. Winning will attract winners. Of which, not all are 4 & 5 star recruits.

Article about him on 24/7 from Wiltfong describes him as one of the most athletic RB’s in years. Tracking football algorithm gave him a 4.6 out of 5. 

Wiltfong, in the comments, replied to a couple fans who asked why his 24/7 rating was so low. Said the article forced him to do more research. “Should get a bump in his rating”

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to RB Gabe Ervin