The "Jason Peter Has An Opinion" Thread

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wouldn’t you respond if someone is trying to call you out in front of the whole state of Nebraska?  Everyone knows who Peter was referring to. 

Not necessarily.

If "no one" really cares what Peter has to say, why bother?....

John Gaskins, formerly of 93.7 The Ticket in Lincoln and now doing sports radio in South Dakota, spoke to Clester Johnson about his son's decision. Clester didn't mince words about the state of the program.

After crediting Frost, Lubick, and Held as "great coaches" who did a "fabulous job" recruting Keagan, Clester said:

"At the end of the day, what it comes down to is winning. Kids these days, you know, 17-year-old kids, think about this...

"If you go back five years when Keagan was 12, OK? That's when you really kind of start to understand football and college football and try to pay attention to it a little bit more...

"Kids today, they like winners. They like people who are winning. They like people who seem to have their stuff together. CJ and Cade, my two oldest sons, when they grew up, they liked USC. They liked Reggie Bush because at the time, those guys are winning...

So, people have to understand that it is not my Nebraska. It is not the same day, and even if you raise kids in a home where they know that you are a Husker fan...

"At the end of the day, you can see they are not winning. They're not going to bowl games & they have to say to themselves, Do I want to go down there? If they have that opportunity, do I want to go down there & be a part of that, & when do I think things will get going again?..

"Then it is just a huge speculation. Will it be a couple years? 2, 3 years? One of the things Keagan said to me: 'If you went to Nebraska 30 years ago and had been on a .500 team, for 3 years?' that can't sit well with guys who are there. That has to wear on you after a while...

"So, I think one of the things he wanted to do was go to a place he felt like where things were rolling pretty good, and if he can enhance that, that's the quickest way to get to the championship atmosphere."

• Plus1 1

I can't blame these kids or their parents for looking elsewhere with what we have seen in Lincoln the last few years.

If the kids are looking for a solid, stable, consistent program with winning records, a sense of identity and that consistently puts a bunch of players in the league there are lot better options than DONU. We've had losing records 4 of the last 5 years. Outside looking in, there sure seems to be a lot of turmoil within the program seeing the high attrition rate and the "not buying in" rhetoric we hear so much about. I really get no sense of identity for this team for the last few years (decades?). And our rate for placing kids in the NFL has been pretty abysmal.

Unless they are dead set on going to NU there are objectively a lot better choices out there.

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

This is Mike Riley telling that kid to go to OU all over again.

I don't hold that against Riley. He gave the kid sound advice over his own best interest :lol: 

Riley was supposed to be recruiting players to Nebraska, not pushing them to Oklahoma. Clester Johnson is giving guidance to his son, big difference. 

• Plus1 7

My original take was that Jason was referring to other’s who don’t necessarily have a stake in it other than just being a former player.  In other words, not specifically CJ.  It would be strange to call out the father of a recruit in that way. I guess I’m not convinced that’s who he meant.   Who cares though. Winning will cure all. 

1 minute ago, C-4 said:

And as always, the biggest idiots are the ones who jump to conclusions (and just so everyone is aware, my comment is directed at @ColoradoHusk).

Or Jason is backtracking on his comments, when he realized was in the wrong.  I’m fine with being an “idiot” in this case, but I’m not the only one who linked Jason’s Tweet to Clester. 

Honestly, my best guess...

There are a lot of ex-Skers that are in Nebraska that played with Frost or played right around the same time as Frost...And they are probably making a great living...but they are not making 5 million a year.  I am sure a lot of them talk s#!t on the program.  I would.  So would most of us.  We would all love to be making 5 million a year and ripping on the program/guy that isn't "getting it done".