2020 Gopher Opponent Preview: Nebraska

Definitely more research put into this than the normal previews, actually knows a lot about who is expected to contribute among the newcomers. A couple things I disagree with here and there - I don't think our ILBs were pretty good last year, I'm really not concerned with the DL since there's a good mix of experience and young talent. But seems pretty fair, a lot of times these are pretty ridiculous but they make good points about the teams being different by the end of the year and the potential for the offense to take off.

I don't see 10-2 for Minny this year, but I definitely didn't see 11-2 last year so who knows. I'm really curious about their defense, they lose a lot. It's one of those things though where a Minnesota fan can point to a bunch of talented guys we haven't seen yet, and non-Minnesota fans can point out we have no idea how good they are. I expect fairly significant regression, but maybe the Fleck train is just rolling.

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely more research put into this than the normal previews, actually knows a lot about who is expected to contribute among the newcomers. A couple things I disagree with here and there - I don't think our ILBs were pretty good last year, I'm really not concerned with the DL since there's a good mix of experience and young talent. But seems pretty fair, a lot of times these are pretty ridiculous but they make good points about the teams being different by the end of the year and the potential for the offense to take off.

I don't see 10-2 for Minny this year, but I definitely didn't see 11-2 last year so who knows. I'm really curious about their defense, they lose a lot. It's one of those things though where a Minnesota fan can point to a bunch of talented guys we haven't seen yet, and non-Minnesota fans can point out we have no idea how good they are. I expect fairly significant regression, but maybe the Fleck train is just rolling.

I dont like PJ Fleck but he has already built something that makes me nervous.... He is also losing a lot of VERY talented players that saved his butt. Antoine Winfield basically saved them twice last year. They almost lost to Fresno State and South Dakota State.

He was a huge savior for them. They also lose Coughlin and Martin who were high level guys on the LB/DE space.

PJ is getting strong recruits right and left and he has enough hype built up that the fans might actually support.\

That all being said, I still think there record was a bit of a mirage. Dont get me wrong, they were a VERY good team last year but Iowa/Wisconsin showed where they can be beat.

If Fleck sticks around, I see them being a team that is very steady and then has big years every couple years when the stars align. Fleck has all the guys buying in and that is not good for the Huskers.

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont like PJ Fleck but he has already built something that makes me nervous.... He is also losing a lot of VERY talented players that saved his butt. Antoine Winfield basically saved them twice last year. They almost lost to Fresno State and South Dakota State.

He was a huge savior for them. They also lose Coughlin and Martin who were high level guys on the LB/DE space.

PJ is getting strong recruits right and left and he has enough hype built up that the fans might actually support.\

That all being said, I still think there record was a bit of a mirage. Dont get me wrong, they were a VERY good team last year but Iowa/Wisconsin showed where they can be beat.

If Fleck sticks around, I see them being a team that is very steady and then has big years every couple years when the stars align. Fleck has all the guys buying in and that is not good for the Huskers.

Winfield definitely seemed like one of those guys who just changes a defense by being there - he was fun to watch, I'm glad we don't play him anymore - and we only played him once. Tampa Bay got really interesting for me with Suh/Davis, and now Khalil and Winfield.

Not good for use shot term, but it will be nice when we get it turned around and the West isn't a joke. Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and us all being good makes things a lot more interesting. We have the farthest to go to make that happen, but if Fleck sticks around and Ferentz is smart enough to not try and name his son the next coach all 4 should be pretty stable.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, Big Red Viking said:

PJ is a joke and he will be exposed this season.  11 and 2 was all luck could easily have been 7 and 6.  He will be run out of town with his stripper wife within 3 years.

He seems like a complete tool to me as well, but I'm past thinking he's a bad coach. Teams change during the year - they were super shaky at the beginning but by the end that was a good team. And his teams have improved every year, aside from 2 straight 8-5 years at Western Michigan. He'll leave Minnesota on his own terms.

• Plus1 2

I think PJ is a decent coach, but I also think he’s slightly overrated. He didn’t have to build that program from the ground up. Jerry Kill had done a really nice job there, getting them to winning seasons and bowl games. It was not a program in shambles. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Fru said:

I think PJ is a decent coach, but I also think he’s slightly overrated. He didn’t have to build that program from the ground up. Jerry Kill had done a really nice job there, getting them to winning seasons and bowl games. It was not a program in shambles. 

For sure, he wasn't starting from the same place Frost was. But they never finished a season ranked under Kill/Claeys, and finished 10th last year. It's not like he hasn't made them better.

I get the hate, if I could have a beer with any coach in the big ten I think I'd pick Fleck last. And I am fully aware that Harbaugh coaches in the big ten.

• Plus1 1

I used to think Fleck was great. He came to our state football coaches conference and spoke (he was still at WM). Once he was hired here at MN I began to slowly dislike him more and more. It is all show with him. He flew a helicopter to watch a kid he was recruiting. It was unreal how much of an a$$ he was and thought we needed to stop our pregame and talk. Made it all about him!

We’ve had a couple of kids go there and listening to them talk about him is interesting. Cult like...put on the black adidas shoes, lay in a circle of rocks, and drink the koolaid type of cult.