Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

Looking through the board, it seems that we need something else to fight about other than Covid, the President, how much space ads take up on the screen and whether or not former players are hurting local recruiting. So, here's a thread to list, for discussion, what might be an unpopular opinion or two you have about Husker football, be it the current team, teams in the past, or the program as a whole.

I'll start: it's going to be at least another 5 years before we sniff winning the conference. 

• Plus1 5

Bootle is an overrated corner but is better suited at safety than Dismuke (bad coverage player, better at tackling but needs to wrap up). I would like to see Taylor-Britt & Clark at CB 1/2 then Bootle & D Will at S. I think that optimizes turnovers as well as the best 4 in coverage if they are gonna do something in a base 3-4. Please god do not let Taylor-Britt play safety again. So much better at corner.  

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll start: it's going to be at least another 5 years before we sniff winning the conference. 

There is very little evidence to argue against this opinion, based on the results on the field the lat couple of years, in comparison to the hype.

I'll take this unpopular opinion a step further: if Nebraska doesn't make an impressive showing in the next couple of years, we will never be "back." 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

Here's my biggest issue.. run the dang ball!! Stop playing fancy feet, stop trying to develop a 300 page play book. Instead, develop 100 plays that work and stick to those plays. Certainly a gadget play here or there but for heavens sake. Stop this mind set of.. if they do this, we'll counter and do this... Just be good at 33 plays with each having an audible or two of those 33 formations and perfect those formations and audibles.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

40 minutes ago, Ulty said:

There is very little evidence to argue against this opinion, based on the results on the field the lat couple of years, in comparison to the hype.

I'll take this unpopular opinion a step further: if Nebraska doesn't make an impressive showing in the next couple of years, we will never be "back." 

I agree that if Frost doesn't bring NU "back" it won't happen.  No other big time coach would ever come, only those using Nebraska as a stepping stone.

I'll take it a step further and say there has to be an impressive showing THIS year. A winning streak to start the year,  a winning record overall/decent bowl and either Iowa or Wisconsin must be a W. That doesn't happen, recruiting turns worse because of no on field results in 3 years and this thing teeters on going backwards again.

• Plus1 5
Just now, swmohusker said:

I love frost and think he has a chance to do something special here, but for the most unpopular opinion (to some) not named Riley or Callahan is maybe Bo Pelini was a pretty good coach too.  

Most agree with you. Pelini was a pretty good coach but the antics were just too much. That said, he averaged 9 wins a year. Nough said!!

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Just be good at 33 plays with each having an audible or two of those 33 formations and perfect those formations and audibles.

This. Plus take defense more seriously.  As in, it’s the most important of the three phases.   Simply aiming to outscore opponents will never win us a BIG title and may not even win the division most years. 

• Plus1 2