Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

2 hours ago, SFW said:

I can only remember 4 good skill players in the last 10 years and zero great players.

In my 50 years watching NU we’ve only had a few great skill players ever.

Osborne knew this and built the program on toughness at the point of attack.  Then every 10 years he got a couple of great skill players and bam something wonderful happened.  

Why Frost doesn’t get this is beyond me.

Ameer Abdullah wasn't great? 

4 hours ago, Decked said:

The downfall of the program was not the firing of Frankie..rather it was just a series of bad hires. 

Tomato tomoto. I agree it wasn't the firing of Frank and it was a series of atrocious hires but I'd refine that a bit to say it was the way and the timing of Frank being fired and that Pederson didn't attempt staff continuity and allowed Callahan to burn it down. 30+ years of championship program building destroyed with two horrendous decisions and one terrible hire. Pelini could've been a stepping stone to better days but then they stepped in it again with Riley.

Sorry, that probably isn't very controversial :lol:

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, SFW said:

I can only remember 4 good skill players in the last 10 years and zero great players.

Osborne knew this and built the program on toughness at the point of attack.  Then every 10 years he got a couple of great skill players and bam something wonderful happened.  

I think most people believe he does get it. He’s recruited some absolute monsters for the offensive line. Big tall long kids that if they dedicate themselves in the weight room will be a solid group. I don’t think the question is wether or not Frost gets it, but if his staff can develop the recruits and get them to reach their potential 

4 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I really like Ameer and he was good, but not great.

Good for sure... not great fumbled a lot.  Great runs basically started 4 years.  But overall good.  

Lawrence Phillips

Ahman Green

Mike Rozier 

They were great!

4 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Agreed

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I think most people believe he does get it. He’s recruited some absolute monsters for the offensive line. Big tall long kids that if they dedicate themselves in the weight room will be a solid group. I don’t think the question is wether or not Frost gets it, but if his staff can develop the recruits and get them to reach their potential 

Frost doesn’t get that pounding a superior talented team into submission and winning in the fourth quarter is where it’s at. 

He thinks he can out smart them and talent them.

That’s what he doesn’t get. 

• Plus1 1

Nebraska needs to run a faster tempo on offense. It has not been as fast as I would have thought by this time. 

Unpopular opinion: Chinander is going to be a good coach. He has to get with the B1G systems but he will adjust well with more depth and familiarity. The system is ran to score a lot and so we will see teams gain lots of yards. Scoring by opponents will also be down and the linebackers will improve a lot this year. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

He's 2nd in program history for career rushing yards at a place with historically great running backs...that's not great? 

I think we have different definitions of great. We've had a number of good running backs, but few great ones. I would agree with SFW on his three over the past 40 years. Nationally, Ameer wasn't in the top tier of running backs during his time here.  Not far behind though, probably 2nd tier. Some times the better player doesn't get as many college stats because they leave to the pro's early, injuries, competion at their spot early in their career, or they came from juco for example. Ameer was probably the best RB we've had here in quite a while, but we haven't had a great RB in a long time. We've had a number of good skilled position players, but no great ones over the past 15 years or so. 

I think from the outset Frost hoped the O line was fixable and by plugging in new skill guys he could turn things around quickly on the offense. 

He under estimated the need for focus and real practice in special teams.  He now will dedicate substantial time and energy into kicking and coverage. 

Frost thinks the defense will be OK with  time without major revamping.  

Controversial or not, this is good news as the diagnosis is accurate so its a matter of getting the right types of players plugged and executing better.  

14 hours ago, SFW said:

So let's bring Callahan back to coach our o-line. Supposed to be what he is known for. Throw a boat load of money at him, [again]......

GBR!!!

12 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

2 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I think we have different definitions of great. We've had a number of good running backs, but few great ones.

7 hours ago, SFW said:

Good for sure... not great fumbled a lot.  Great runs basically started 4 years.  But overall good.  

Lawrence Phillips

Ahman Green

Mike Rozier 

They were great!

Peak off season debates always come with a side of trying to qualify superlatives. It's a bit pedantic.

And that's the problem with superlatives. They mean too many things to too many different people. At the very least, Ameer is statistically one of the best Nebraska running backs of all time. He's likely a shoe-in for the Nebraska Athletic Hall of Fame. He may not be in the same echelon as LP, Green and Rozier, but few ever will be.

• Plus1 1