Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

Actually, Paul Johnson isn't an RPO offense. (though I think you fully understand that).

I'm saying 80% is obviously not realistic even with a great line but had frost ran it that much last year the results would not have been worse. (Likely not better either) However, had he ran a base formation with a focus on running more the result of that would have been a more through understanding of the base formation fundamentals. It was a young line last year. From the start frost new he'd struggle to win 7 games. Sacrifice the season to develop through repetition thereby better preparation for the this coming season. Install 30-40 plays with each having 1 or 2 audibles and perfect those plays. Perfection through Repetition.

Both of frostie's seasons here ended much better then they started, yes? Was it because the players didn't fully understand the complexities of the offense and if so, would repetition be the reason for the perceived improvement by years end? If so, then can anyone disagree that hindsight being 20/20, developing the run the ball mentality thru repetition pays dividends? There is so much truth is the wisdom of "sometimes one takes one step back to leap forward". Step back, reduce the playbook, establish depth, establish fundamental soundness via repetitive confrontation against every front. Once that foundation is established and hardened then add to it but not before.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, SFW said:

I can only remember 4 good skill players in the last 10 years and zero great players.

All you guys debating based off of this post, he said good. We've only had four good skill players in the last 10 years, zero great ones.

Ameer Abdullah

Rex Burkhead

Taylor Martinez

Adrian Martinez

Stanley Morgan

Wandale Robinson

Maurice Washington

Roy Helu Jr

Jordan Westerkamp

Brandon Reilly

Niles Paul

Quincy Enunwa

Andy Janovich

JD Spielman

Only four of these players were good. The rest weren't even good.

11 hours ago, SFW said:

Frost doesn’t get that pounding a superior talented team into submission and winning in the fourth quarter is where it’s at. 

He thinks he can out smart them and talent them.

That’s what he doesn’t get. 

You should be the coach.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Four "good" skill players in the last 10 years? Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead, Ameer Abdullah, Devine Ozigbo, Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Jordan Westerkamp, Stanley Morgan Jr., JD Spielman, Demornay Pierson-El,  Wan'dale Robinson, Cethan Carter, Andy Janovich, and yes, that highlight-reel Taylor Martinez were all "good" skill players, and some were pretty damn great. I'll leave Nebraska's all-time total offense leader off the list just to spare us that argument. 

I've also been watching Nebraska football for more than 50 years and the above players are among my all-time favorites. They would have thrived on Osborne and Devaney teams. And as mentioned repeatedly, if the Nebraska defense hadn't been giving up 28 points a game, these players would be celebrated instead of being sniffed at.

Are you suggesting that Scott Frost is so reliant on skill players that he can't recruit tough linemen at the same time? Do you really think Tom Osborne didn't seek "good" or even "great" players at the skill positions? If you are talking about generational skill players who turn a team around almost single-handedly, they are rare by definition. Not sure what Scott Frost is supposed to "get" from your advice.

I guess if players were ranked in tiers generational players are in the great tier. (Only a few skill players in our history)

Good players  tier 2 (Rex, Ameer, Helu, Jano,)

Almost good tier 3 

ect.

I agree whole heartedly that a good defense makes a huge difference.  Probably even more than a good offense.  With a good defense we have winning records and bowl games in the last 2 years.

What’s my advice for Frost?

First have great defense and special teams.  (This seems to have been an afterthought for him)

Second use your offense to obviously score but more importantly grind the clock and keep the ball away from opposing teams.  Especially those with far better talent that ours. (This has also seemed to be an afterthought for him as well)

That’s what Osborne knew. (Pelini knew it, Solich to)

Callahan and Reilly didn’t know it and at this point I’m grouping Frost with these to clowns.

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

All you guys debating based off of this post, he said good. We've only had four good skill players in the last 10 years, zero great ones.

Ameer Abdullah

Rex Burkhead

Taylor Martinez

Adrian Martinez

Stanley Morgan

Wandale Robinson

Maurice Washington

Roy Helu Jr

Jordan Westerkamp

Brandon Reilly

Niles Paul

Quincy Enunwa

Andy Janovich

JD Spielman

Discounting NFL players as less than good seems to be not based in reality.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Ameer Abdullah TIER 2

Rex Burkhead.             2

Taylor Martinez.          3

Adrian Martinez.         4

Stanley Morgan.          3

Wandale Robinson.  Too soon

Maurice Washington    Fail

Roy Helu Jr.                  2

Jordan Westerkamp.   3

Brandon Reilly.              3

Niles Paul.                      3

Quincy Enunwa.             3

Andy Janovich.               2

JD Spielman.               3 possibly could move to a 2

You should be the coach.

11 hours ago, SFW said:

Frost doesn’t get that pounding a superior talented team into submission and winning in the fourth quarter is where it’s at. 

He thinks he can out smart them and talent them.

That’s what he doesn’t get. 

Don't you have to have superior talent to pound a team into submission? You cant just line up with the top tier teams and pound them into submission. When is the last time someone has pounded Alabama, Ohio St, and Clemson into submission. I guess you could bring up how LSU throttled Clemson in the NC game, but they did that with Joe Burrow the number one draft pick and Heisman winner at QB. And if I remember correctly he set all kinds of passing records after they hired a new passing coordinator. 

We don't have superior talent to pound most teams into submission and never will unless we find other ways to win games. There is a reason everyone runs RPOs. Frost's playbook really isnt that large. He changes formations to see how the defense aligns, and then attempts to take advantage of the alignments. That is what everyone who is successful does. 

But obviously we should just line up in the I formation and run the veer, counter, and inside trap exclusively and will be the best in the west in no time at all! 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, SFW said:

What’s my advice for Frost?

First have great defense and special teams.  (This seems to have been an afterthought for him)

Second use your offense to obviously score but more importantly grind the clock and keep the ball away from opposing teams.  Especially those with far better talent that ours. (This has also seemed to be an afterthought for him as well)

That’s what Osborne knew. (Pelini knew it, Solich to)

Callahan and Reilly didn’t know it and at this point I’m grouping Frost with these to clowns.

So.....the born and raised Nebraskan, son of two UNL sports stars, option running QB of Nebraska's last national championship team, and friend of Tom Osborne who continues to seek his wise counsel, needs your advice on how Nebraska football works?

Have great defense and special teams? Use your offense to score?  My gosh, why does Scott refuse to listen to  you?

s#!tting on some of the great talent Nebraska fans have had the pleasure to watch? Well, this is the Unpopular Opinions thread.

I'll tip you off on something Osborne, Pelini, Callahan, Reilly, and every other football coach learned long ago:  you can't grind the clock when you're playing from behind. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Discounting NFL players as less than good seems to be not based in reality.

I guess great to me is reserved for the generational players.

Then they should be ranked in groups or tiers.  

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So.....the born and raised Nebraskan, son of two UNL sports stars, option running QB of Nebraska's last national championship team, and friend of Tom Osborne who continues to seek his wise counsel, needs your advice on how Nebraska football works?

Have great defense and special teams? Use your offense to score?  My gosh, why does Scott refuse to listen to  you?

s#!tting on some of the great talent Nebraska fans have had the pleasure to watch? Well, this is the Unpopular Opinions thread.

I'll tip you off on something Osborne, Pelini, Callahan, Reilly, and every other football coach learned long ago:  you can't grind the clock when you're playing from behind. 

I had high hopes for Frost and still do but he and Chinander have blown, mismanaged multiple winnable games in the last two seasons.  

Frost couldn’t manage to clock at UCF and has yet to learn how at NU.  He and Chinander, not the players or talent or culture have cost us winnable games, winning seasons, and bowl games.