Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

There is no magic formula beyond rush for about 450 yards and you win almost 100% of the time.  Pass for 450 and probably win about 65% of your games.  Assuming identical defenses etc.  

And in my observation it is a minority opinion on this Board and usually gets you hammered for even suggesting to “run the dam ball”.   Its not so much the ratio of run vs pass plays as it is YARDS gained.  Defenses stop the run first for a reason. 

So........if you run the ball and gain a lot of YARDS you will win.

Thanks for the insight, counselor. 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Its not so much the ratio of run vs pass plays as it is YARDS gained.  Defenses stop the run first for a reason. 

Chinander disagrees with you.

(see a 3 man front in a run heavy conference)

couldn't stop the run with NFL talent

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So........if you run the ball and gain a lot of YARDS you will win.

Thanks for the insight, counselor. 

I was trying to understand his comment there.  If a team is rushing for 450 yard in a game, that team is most likely dominating the line of scrimmage and not being stopped.  But, rushing for 450 yards in a game rarely happens.

12 minutes ago, SFW said:

Yeah.....no.   Frazier 2 Nattys and a 3 time MVP in national title games.

It’s close though, real close.  Turner had some bad breaks.  And our defense wasn’t half as good as Frazier’s squad.

Turner's 82 team was better than the Scoring Explosion 83 team.  82 team D was much better. 

I will add  this - if I had to pick a QB and my coaching career required that I win the NC - got to go wt Frazier just for leadership and determination alone. Turner was a better QB overall (from an purely QB skills perspective)  IMHO, Frazier perhaps a better leader - I don't mean that leadership = popular however.  His 'grit' (had to use that since it was used in one of the posts) forced other players to be better and got Tom that first NC.  His leadership won those 3 MVPs & 2 NC.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, SFW said:

Chinander disagrees with you.

(see a 3 man front in a run heavy conference)

couldn't stop the run with NFL talent

Right because Wisconsin, Alabama, and Georgia all suck against the run. I'm not saying Chinander has been good. I think he'll get it figured out, but it has not been close to good enough so far. Regardless though, the fact that we run a 3 man front isn't the issue.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Right because Wisconsin, Alabama, and Georgia all suck against the run. I'm not saying Chinander has been good. I think he'll get it figured out, but it has not been close to good enough so far. Regardless though, the fact that we run a 3 man front isn't the issue.

We will never Consistently have the D lineman like those teams above you mentioned.  

Wisconsin has the best DC in the country and his 3-4 is totally different that ours.  

Chinander and back to Diaco have been trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Turner's 82 team was better than the Scoring Explosion 83 team.  82 team D was much better. 

I will add  this - if I had to pick a QB and my coaching career required that I win the NC - got to go wt Frazier just for leadership and determination alone. Turner was a better QB overall (from an purely QB skills perspective)  IMHO, Frazier perhaps a better leader - I don't mean that leadership = popular however.  His 'grit' (had to use that since it was used in one of the posts) forced other players to be better and got Tom that first NC.  His leadership won those 3 MVPs & 2 NC.

Well said!

2 hours ago, SFW said:

We will never Consistently have the D lineman like those teams above you mentioned.  

Wisconsin has the best DC in the country and his 3-4 is totally different that ours.  

Chinander and back to Diaco have been trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Jim Leonhard is the best DC in the country? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1