Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not so much an unpopular opinion, but a what if?

If the Akron game in 2018 isn't canceled, Scott Frost squeezes into a bowl game his first season at Nebraska, and the mood lightens considerably. 

I'd throw-in if the Akron tune-up happens AND Adrian doesn't get assaulted post-play against CU. If we don't get screwed on those things we start 3-0 and make a bowl. What made the 2019 season so frustrating was that we didn't have those 2018 misfortunes and still didn't make a bowl. 

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Ganz should have been the QB all season instead of Keller.   If so, BC may have lasted another year maybe 2. 

This is an extremely popular opinion. The unpopular opinion is that Keller was quite a quality quarterback and had the starting job for a justified reason. I hold that opinion.

18 minutes ago, SFW said:

He does more with less than Venerable...so yes he’s the best.

who’s your choice?

Up until a couple of months ago, it was Dave Aranda, but if you want to talk about doing more with less, give me Morgan Scalley. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Up until a couple of months ago, it was Dave Aranda, but if you want to talk about doing more with less, give me Morgan Scalley. 

Kevin Steele has to be in this conversation too. I think I'd take him over Leonard. Leonard is a dang good DC though. 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not so much an unpopular opinion, but a what if?

If the Akron game in 2018 isn't canceled, Scott Frost squeezes into a bowl game his first season at Nebraska, and the mood lightens considerably. 

There's definitely an alternate universe version where the Akron game happens, 2AM doesn't get dinged up against CU on a cheap shot and Nebraska's kicking situation doesn't implode in 2019.  How many extra wins would those 3 things have been worth?  4?  5?  6?  Heck, even more?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Suh made 2 critical mistakes at the end of 2 important games in 2009:

VT:  He was too passive in his rush at the end of the game - giving the VT QB time to find a receiver in the end zone

Texas CCG:  SUH should not have rushed McCoy as hard as he did at the end of the game -  it forced McCoy to throw the ball out of bounds, leaving one second on the clock.

VT game:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090926030226/http://www.omaha.com:80/article/20090919/BIGRED/709199808

Carl Pelini said NU had a chance to overcome the 81-yard play by getting to Taylor on the TD pass. But after rolling left and coming back to the right, Taylor got pass-rushers to hesitate momentarily and found Roberts just as Suh started to grab Taylor's jersey.

Pelini said he wished the Huskers had been more aggressive on the scoring play. That was echoed by Bo Pelini.

“You have got to go make the sack,'' Bo Pelini said. “You have got to go get them. We didn't do it.''

Carl Pelini said the game plan wasn't just to contain Taylor but to get after him and take some shots. The Huskers did sack him four times.

But Taylor made two huge plays in what Suh said could be considered a 50-50 split between Taylor's athleticism and Husker mistakes.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

VT:  He was too passive in his rush at the end of the game - giving the VT QB time to find a receiver in the end zone

Texas CCG:  SUH should not have rushed McCoy as hard as he did at the end of the game -  it forced McCoy to throw the ball out of bounds, leaving one second on the clock.

VT game:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090926030226/http://www.omaha.com:80/article/20090919/BIGRED/709199808

I have watched that Texas game 100 times and every time think the same thing - however in the heat of the moment with an aggressive defender the result will always be the same.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I have watched that Texas game 100 times and every time think the same thing - however in the heat of the moment with an aggressive defender the result will always be the same.

Yes, you can't change the stripes on a tiger or the spots on a leopard. 

9 hours ago, SFW said:

He does more with less than Venerable...so yes he’s the best.

who’s your choice?

Is Leonard as good as Aranda was?  Not sure he is the best wiscy DC.  Venable is good.  Like how he utilized Simmons in a variety of ways.  

Gary Patterson always fields good defenses in an offensive league without a ton a nfl talent.  

Hankwitz the DC at Northwestern always field a good defense without a ton of talent.  

Iowa, narduzzi, and mich st have good statistical defenses, but some of that is aided by the style of play of their offenses.  

other than those 2 it is the chicken or the egg argument with talent and good defenses.  

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

VT game:

In the CCG against Texas, Suh provided greatest individual performance I have ever seen from a football player all night long. Of all the things that went wrong with the offense, penalties, and the final kickoff/drive, I would be hard pressed to identify anything from Suh as a critical mistake in that game. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
10 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I completely agree here.  He is one that doesnt get much recognition but constantly has good to great defenses.