Unpopular Opinions: Husker Edition

I think we'll actually be pretty good this season.  Riley the snake oil salesmen talked a lot about what he was going to do....like the top 3 in the conference in rushing comment.

Frost has been doing what needed to be done.....flip nearly the entire roster and make the offensive line a point of emphasis while still getting top notch skill players.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Decked said:

The downfall of the program was not the firing of Frankie..rather it was just a series of bad hires. 

Agreed. Had Frank been retained, I think at best he’d have essentially been Kirk Ferentz. Multiple 6, 7 and 8 win seasons. 

The downfall of the program was not letting Bill Byrne do his job, and a lack of stability and unity at the top. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

Bootle is an overrated corner but is better suited at safety than Dismuke (bad coverage player, better at tackling but needs to wrap up). I would like to see Taylor-Britt & Clark at CB 1/2 then Bootle & D Will at S. I think that optimizes turnovers as well as the best 4 in coverage if they are gonna do something in a base 3-4. Please god do not let Taylor-Britt play safety again. So much better at corner.  

I love this!

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I love frost and think he has a chance to do something special here, but for the most unpopular opinion (to some) not named Riley or Callahan is maybe Bo Pelini was a pretty good coach too.  

Good coaches are hard to find, so I'm sure he went on to be a head coaching success somewhere else. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think we'll actually be pretty good this season.  Riley the snake oil salesmen talked a lot about what he was going to do....like the top 3 in the conference in rushing comment.

Frost has been doing what needed to be done.....flip nearly the entire roster and make the offensive line a point of emphasis while still getting top notch skill players.

I'm always erring on the hopeful side, but I'm seeing mostly attrition and regression among the skill players. Who or what am I missing? 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm always erring on the hopeful side, but I'm seeing mostly attrition and regression among the skill players. Who or what am I missing? 

You're not necessarily missing anything.  Your sample size is from year 1 to year 2.  I think there's a more than reasonable chance that Frost plugged some holes pretty well.

And I think the offensive line keeps getting pretty good talent and is surprisingly well coached.

10 minutes ago, SFW said:

Chinander is garbage.  

Frost loves his offense.  It is predicated on having better skill players than your opponent.  We simply don’t have that kind of talent for his offense in the B10 and never will.

Nebraska has had some great offensive skill players over the last 10 years. If they had been backed by the 2009 Nebraska defense, we might not be fretting about our offensive identity at all. 

No, we're not very deep or consistent at the moment, but we will need better talent for any offense to succeed. 

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You're not necessarily missing anything.  Your sample size is from year 1 to year 2.  I think there's a more than reasonable chance that Frost plugged some holes pretty well.

And I think the offensive line keeps getting pretty good talent and is surprisingly well coached.

Frost's chosen running backs haven't worked out so well, our leading receiver may not be returning, and our talented QB appeared to lose his mojo in Year 2. If Frost has top notch skill players in line for Year 3, surely you can give me a few names.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska has had some great offensive skill players over the last 10 years. 

I can only remember 4 good skill players in the last 10 years and zero great players.

In my 50 years watching NU we’ve only had a few great skill players ever.

Osborne knew this and built the program on toughness at the point of attack.  Then every 10 years he got a couple of great skill players and bam something wonderful happened.  

Why Frost doesn’t get this is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Frost's chosen running backs haven't worked out so well, our leading receiver may not be returning, and our talented QB appeared to lose his mojo in Year 2. If Frost has top notch skill players in line for Year 3, surely you can give me a few names.

Robinson, Manning, Mills, Johnson, Scott, Brown.....