Real Head Coach Expectations

So, the below stats are those from a hall of fame coach. Are these acceptable at Nebraska?

If so, are you as a fan willing to have 3 below average seasons to finally acknowledge the coach is worthy of the hype?

Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°    

1–10 0–8 10th          
    5–6 2–6 T–8th          
    5–6 3–5 T–6th          
    10–1–1 6–1–1 T–1st yes top 10      
    8–3–1 5–2–1 4th yes        
    4–5–2 3–4–1 T–7th          
    8–5 3–5 7th yes        
    8–5 5–3 5th yes        
    11–1 7–1 T–1st yes top 10      
    10–2 7–1 1st yes top 10      
    9–4 4–4 T–5th yes top 25      
    5–7 3–5 T–8th          
    8–6 2–6 T–8th yes        
    7–6 4–4 T–7th yes        
    9–3 6–2 3rd yes top 20      
    10–3 5–3 T–3rd yes top 20      

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

IMO year three is critical for Frost and company,  regardless of schedule.  He has got to get this team to a bowl.

So, the HOF coach's results aren't good enough in your opinion, yes?

18 minutes ago, SFW said:

6-7

13-0

4-8

5-7

Were going to find out this year if 13-0 was an outlier or not.  

and if we go 5-6 again as the HOF coach did, is that reason for concern?

17 minutes ago, SFW said:

6-7

13-0

4-8

5-7

Were going to find out this year if 13-0 was an outlier or not.  

Of course it's an outlier, undefeated seasons are super rare. Saban has 1. Dabo has 1. Urban Meyer had one, and they didn't get a chance to play another top-tier team in the big ten championship or bowl game so could've conceivably lost still. I get your point though, and it does need to improve.

Just now, Loebarth said:

Those results in our situation are not good enough, no. That coach was taking over a team that had gone 14-42 over the last 5 years, and 6-27 over the last 3. Their best season in school history before him was 8 wins, back in the early 60s. Context around the team matters. We were bad when Frost got here, but not that bad - 19-19 in the last 3, 37-27 over the last 5.

7 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

What point are you trying to make here?

When Barry Alvarez took over Wisconsin, they had no winning tradition in the history of their program at all, including having won only one bowl game ever and not finishing a season ranked in almost 30 years. If Scott Frost turns things around and starts contending for conference championships, then of course we will be happy (or happier) but if we finish with another losing record this season of course there will be cause for concern. There is cause for concern NOW.

Comparing Frost to Alvarez or any other coach who started slow but then started winning is irrelevant...until we actually start winning.

• Plus1 1

My question (except by Husker in WI) remains yet unanswered by the other posters.

• Frost came in with amazing hype, what he learned was how depleted his department was. So much so that I believe it shocked him to the core. You can say the comparison is irrelevant or argue its relevance but program history be damned, losing creates decline, decline creates bad habits and bad habits create bad results.
8 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

My question (except by Husker in WI) remains yet unanswered by the other posters.

• Frost came in with amazing hype, what he learned was how depleted his department was. So much so that I believe it shocked him to the core. You can say the comparison is irrelevant or argue its relevance but program history be damned, losing creates decline, decline creates bad habits and bad habits create bad results.

Jury is still out on Frost.  Is it good enough....no....but he will have a fourth season know matter how bad this season is.  If the fourth is yet another loser the excuses won’t matter.

1 hour ago, SFW said:

Jury is still out on Frost.  Is it good enough....no....but he will have a fourth season know matter how bad this season is.  If the fourth is yet another loser the excuses won’t matter.

I disagree with you on a lot of things, but I can get on board with this.

I said it before he was hired, I think I said it before we hired Riley. I would rather go down with a Cornhusker as coach, like Frost, then some other coach coming here and spewing coach speak and we go down with him. I'll take losing seasons under Frost compared to mediocre at best seasons with a guy who's 68 years old and may retire any year, why? Because with Frost, any given year he could turn it around.

With that said, I think just for mental sake, Nebraska needs to win 6 games this year and go to a bowl game. Otherwise I fear the tides will begin to severely turn against Frost and many may start to be ready to move on if not for a much improved 4th season. So getting to at least 6 wins and a bowl would show improvement each year and give a positive outlook to the future. Another 4 or 5 win season and apathy may really actually be among us.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, SFW said:

The 13-0 is the outlier. Based on W-L.  What he did at UCF was nothing short of amazing.  Completely reversing a teams record in 2 years.....(0-12 2015 and 13-0 20017)  Three losing seasons in a row hurts.  Badly.  Culture, talent, buy in etc....I really have no idea.  It's not really something that is tangible and readily identifiable.  

What is definitive and tangible is some of these kids had 3 HC's......3-4 OC's, DC's, position coaches, schemes etc......That would kill any program and any type of momentum.  Frost and his staff are here for 5 more years.  We won't make the mistake of having to pay for yet another "failed" coach.  

We will know what we have in 2021.  2020, brutal schedule, new defensive line, maybe one receiver who has got more that 2 passes at NU returning, and again new OC (I know Frost is OC), new position coach, no ST to speak off.......

I think that Frost has learned a lot.  I think his pride has taken a hit and for the better IMHO.  

If he doesn't get to a bowl this year (I'll be shocked if we do) things will get rough.  For him, the team and the fans.  BUT with all the turn over we have had, Frost is the only choice and still might prove to be the best choice.  

To the OP, very good chance it will be year 4 until we see a bowl........And yes, IF Frost can get us competitive and winning bowls, the bigger wins will come......

I think Frost will get us back at some point. But the more bad seasons we have early it is going to be more and more of an uphill climb. Losing is hard to recruit and the shine of selling what was done at oregon and UCf I think is already gone. Can’t sell what you did they wanna see results of improvement now.

4 hours ago, Loebarth said:

For a fan base like Nebraska that hasn't seen a conference title since 99'  those HOF coaches results aren't good enough Imo.  Not going bowling for a third year in a row would be hard to accept,  however I do think frost gets six wins this year. GBR.

No doubt our own fanbase has been humbled, and for the better I am sure, painful painful painful as it has been. That said, I think we would be happy with that coaches record to a point, but having tasted national titles, after a long enough run of close but no cigar, there would be rumblings no doubt. I'm with Boneyard, I'd take our chances with a homegrown tough as nails Nebraska boy with a great coaching pedigree, good offensive knack, strong historic resume, and the passion to do this thing, all day long over as opposed to any other coach.  The man is making changes, I don't understand why people won't give him at least some credit. The proof is in the pudding. He came in, the program was a mess, he did things his way. Not all of those things worked well, he used the drawing board, changed things up, and took a run at it again. New glaring holes showed up, so, he again this off season has gone back to the board, changed things, added things, and is ready to make a run again. I'm not as scared of the schedule as most. Like I said, we are either a good team or we are not.  Good teams don't automatically fold wins to other good teams. Top 25 teams don't fear other Top 25 teams. So, we are either that caliber or we are not, but the team lined up across the field doesn't get to determine it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1