2020 (Spring 2021) Season Notes

On 3/17/2021 at 9:40 PM, knapplc said:

That makes complete sense. She's not going to start and would barely get minutes. If Orr is lightning in a bottle like everyone thinks, she may take the starting gig from Hames, which means Hames transfers or switches to DS - because Hames is one of the best defenders on the team.  Drewnick then can't switch to DS and hope for playing time because we will be CROWDED there this fall.

If Orr replaces Hames at setter then she really must be amazing.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooooo.....we’re ranked 4th or 5th all year and we need ip a 5 seed?   Shouldn’t we be like a 2 or 3 seed?

They did the seedings kind of odd, possibly since it is a 48-team tournament.  

We are the #5 seed overall, not a 5 seed in our "region".  Texas is the #4 overall seed and they are the highest-seeded team we'd have to beat to get to the Final Four.  We would potentially have to play Wisconsin in the semi-finals.

Bracket

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They did the seedings kind of odd, possibly since it is a 48-team tournament.  

We are the #5 seed overall, not a 5 seed in our "region".  Texas is the #4 overall seed and they are the highest-seeded team we'd have to beat to get to the Final Four.  We would potentially have to play Wisconsin in the semi-finals.

Bracket

Ahhh.... thanks for the explanation. 

still pathetic that it’s only 48 teams.  

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ahhh.... thanks for the explanation. 

still pathetic that it’s only 48 teams.  

Eh ... yes and no.  I can see the argument asking why it is different than the basketball tournaments.  The answer, to me, is pretty simple.  The field really isn't deep enough to justify bringing that many more teams to the tournament just to get swept in the first round.  In the 2019 tournament, the only one of the top 16 seeds that even lost a set was #12 Hawai'i who beat Northern Colorado 3-1.  The other 15 teams won in sweeps.  Only two of the top 16 seeds didn't win their second-round game: #6 Pittsburgh lost to Cincinnati and #14 BYU lost to Utah.  

I'm not saying that's the greatest reason.  But when you're trying to do what you can to adjust for COVID, leaving 16 teams home that are extremely likely to lose their first game anyway isn't that terrible of an option.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... yes and no.  I can see the argument asking why it is different than the basketball tournaments.  The answer, to me, is pretty simple.  The field really isn't deep enough to justify bringing that many more teams to the tournament just to get swept in the first round.  In the 2019 tournament, the only one of of the top 16 seeds that even lost a set was #12 Hawai'i who beat Northern Colorado 3-1.  The other 15 teams won in sweeps.  Only two of the top 16 seeds didn't win their second-round game: #6 Pittsburgh lost to Cincinnati and #14 BYU lost to Utah.  

I'm not saying that's the greatest reason.  But when you're trying to do what you can to adjust for COVID, leaving 16 teams home that are extremely likely to lose their first game anyway isn't that terrible of an option.

OK.

Let's hope the Big Ten has a much better showing in Volleyball than they did in Basketball.

• Haha 1