Is the Covid era showing us people's true colors?

Got an idea for this thread after seeing that dingleberry complaining about his freedoms being trampled because he wouldn't follow the rules at Costco.

You've seen some really crazy behavior from people during this whole deal. A lot of it is really sad. Maybe this thread can be a repository for examples of people doing good or bad during the pandemic.

I'll start. Sadly, I've seen several of these stories. This type of stuff is horrible.

• Thanks 2

This wasn't in the news, but a former coworker of mine's father lives in Louisville, NE.  He apparently spent his career as a band instructor and Husker football fan.  Anyway, friend of hers found a band director in the area to come help him celebrate his 75th birthday through a window.

The grandkids held "happy birthday" signs while the band director (that has no ties to this man) played "There is No Place Like Nebraska" with his trombone.

I thought that was pretty cool.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

This wasn't in the news, but a former coworker of mine's father lives in Louisville, NE.  He apparently spent his career as a band instructor and Husker football fan.  Anyway, friend of hers found a band director in the area to come help him celebrate his 75th birthday through a window.

The grandkids held "happy birthday" signs while the band director (that has no ties to this man) played "There is No Place Like Nebraska" with his trombone.

I thought that was pretty cool.

That's awesome! What a nice thing to do for him.

Likewise I saw this the other day and it warmed my heart a bit.

I’ve seen (surprisingly) a lot more good stories than bad throughout this pandemic. People and businesses going above and beyond to help out. About the only asshat things I’ve seen or heard of pertain to people of a certain political bent that want to deny science and pretend their rights are being infringed by being expected to do their minimal part in helping prevent the spread. I totally get the idea that we can’t decimate our economy by shutting things down more or longer than necessary but dang, wearing a mask, washing your hands and staying away from others as much as possible isn’t that devastating. I know many people are being financially hurt by this but isn’t the death rate already high enough? Cities are giving restaurants leeway to expand their seating into public areas and streets so they can serve a higher number of people. I think that’s great. It’s just going to take some time to get back to anything approaching normal.  All I know is, anybody that gets within 10’ of me without wearing a mask and doing their part can stick their rights up their a$$.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I think trying times like this bring out the best in people, along with the worst in people.

Regarding Costco, I saw a great point online that Costco is able to require shoppers to wear masks because their warehouse requires a membership.  So, the members have to abide by Costco's rules of membership, which can be amended at anytime.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think trying times like this bring out the best in people, along with the worst in people.

Regarding Costco, I saw a great point online that Costco is able to require shoppers to wear masks because their warehouse requires a membership.  So, the members have to abide by Costco's rules of membership, which can be amended at anytime.

Good on them using that for the benefit of everyone's safety.

I was listening to morning radio yesterday and they brought up a recent news story that showed a restaurant that was excited to open and not requiring staff to wear masks.

That's like the opposite end of the spectrum. Not that that is a horrible establishment that should be avoided forever, but it's a reflection that if they're not willing to follow THAT precaution they're probably not following others preparing your food.

Then they got into a strip club in Utah that was requiring all staff and customers to wear masks at all times (except when drinking), staff also wearing gloves, was taking personal info to do contact tracing if someone tests positive, etc.

You love to see a socially-responsible strip club. :lol:

• Plus1 2

A lady at the restaurant I work at began crying real tears because her party of 7 couldn't sit all together and had to be seated at 2 tables next to each other. Cried for a good 20 minutes about it. Generally I have seen good things but I've also seen alot of childishness 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

A lady at the restaurant I work at began crying real tears because her party of 7 couldn't sit all together and had to be seated at 2 tables next to each other. Cried for a good 20 minutes about it. Generally I have seen good things but I've also seen alot of childishness 

Like, cried like a child or whining?

I can see crying for a minute, as a reaction to just the stress and dealing with things and mental health issues/release.  

But whining for 20 minutes?  Kick her the F out.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It shouldn't be all that surprising, but the biggest negatives COVID-19 has brought out of people are childish and selfish behaviors.

• Plus1 2

I bet that if we really evaluated certain people (like the Costco example above) then we would see that this isn't the first time they've done something like that or acted in that way. It just happened to be a very publicized example of it.

The same goes for people who hoarded mountains of toilet paper, diapers, sanitizing equipment, etc., even though manufacturers and government leaders said there was no reason to do so. Those people probably display regular selfish tendencies in life without much regard or concern for others.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Like, cried like a child or whining?

I can see crying for a minute, as a reaction to just the stress and dealing with things and mental health issues/release.  

But whining for 20 minutes?  Kick her the F out.

Tears coming out of her eyes crying. It was ridiculous. But it WAS her birthday, so I guess she can cry if she wants to.  It was the grandma, I think she was turning 60 something. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It shouldn't be all that surprising, but the biggest negatives COVID-19 has brought out of people are childish and selfish behaviors.

100% 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Tears coming out of her eyes crying. It was ridiculous. But it WAS her birthday, so I guess she can cry if she wants to.  It was the grandma, I think she was turning 60 something. 

100% 

Haha...were you being funny here!  That is awesome!

It's my party and i'll cry if I want to...cry if I want to...cry if I want to...

I agree, it is ridiculous.  Maybe it is just how she copes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, teachercd said:

Haha...were you being funny here!  That is awesome!

It's my party and i'll cry if I want to...cry if I want to...cry if I want to...

I agree, it is ridiculous.  Maybe it is just how she copes. 

Truthfully I think the crying was an act to try and get what she wanted. If you've ever worked in a high end restaurant or country club, you know the type.