Is the Covid era showing us people's true colors?

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think trying times like this bring out the best in people, along with the worst in people.

Regarding Costco, I saw a great point online that Costco is able to require shoppers to wear masks because their warehouse requires a membership.  So, the members have to abide by Costco's rules of membership, which can be amended at anytime.

Is there really any difference between a store that requires a paid membership and any other store? I mean Target or Walmart or Jimmy John's or absolutely any business can require their customers to wear a mask. It's their property, they can adopt any rules they wish.

I guess I don't see how Costco or Sam's Club are any different :dunno

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Is there really any difference between a store that requires a paid membership and any other store? I mean Target or Walmart or Jimmy John's or absolutely any business can require their customers to wear a mask. It's their property, they can adopt any rules they wish.

I don't know if there is much of a difference, but I think the membership requirements of Costco or Sam's Club gives them additional legal rights to enforce masks and other rules.  I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Truthfully I think the crying was an act to try and get what she wanted. If you've ever worked in a high end restaurant or country club, you know the type. 

I worked at a Brown's Chicken, sort of like a KFC...does that count as high end?  Ha

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My non-lawyer and completely unofficial gut reaction is that virtually all businesses are private property and could enforce just about any type of dress code they wish, and/or deny service to any customer they wish (within reason, of course).

Sort of like how the Alvarado's Abelardo's near me has a sign up that says they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone because they have so many drunk people roll through at 2 a.m.

I think it just reiterates things we already knew. A segment of the population will simply say "F*ck you, no" to anything, even if benefits them. Efforts to decrease pollution from car emissions have been put in place, and yet there are people who alter their trucks so that they emit and pollute more. We all benefit from clean air, why do that? We can't agree on clean air or clean water, why would we be able to band together during a pandemic? There are people who vote against Medicare for all candidates, measures, etc, when they themselves would benefit from medicare for all. If you don't care about your own life, why would you care about anyone else's?

• Plus1 5
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My non-lawyer and completely unofficial gut reaction is that virtually all businesses are private property and could enforce just about any type of dress code they wish, and/or deny service to any customer they wish (within reason, of course).

Sort of like how the Alvarado's Abelardo's near me has a sign up that says they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone because they have so many drunk people roll through at 2 a.m.

Yeah, I’m absolutely certain privately owned businesses can do whatever they want. The “within reason” part pretty much only applies to legally protected civil rights, which dress code, wearing a mask, etc. are not. And even civil rights really only apply to employment practices, certain business segments such as housing or the ability to do business with governmental entities. Technically I could prevent Lithuanians (it’s just an example) or people with purple hair from entering my business and they have no legal rights to prevent me from doing that. It’s more a court of public opinion issue.

Ive strongly considered chatting with the customer service people at my Sam’s Club about why they don’t enforce a “no mask, no service/entry” policy. It annoys me when I go to the trouble to help protect others health and upwards of 50% of their knuckle dragging customers act like they’re above it. But I know I wouldn’t get very far with them. Their rules come out of Bentonville and Walmart/Sams seems pretty fond of their gun toting, flag waving, questionably attired customer base. I suppose the thing to do is write a letter to their headquarters but I’m sure it would be a waste of ink. So I’ll just continue to go there when I need to and make snide comments as I pass by the dipsh#ts.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It shouldn't be all that surprising, but the biggest negatives COVID-19 has brought out of people are childish and selfish behaviors.

Childish is the perfect word for that a$$ at Costco. Very childlike understanding of rules and authority, how they apply to him and how to respond.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I bet that if we really evaluated certain people (like the Costco example above) then we would see that this isn't the first time they've done something like that or acted in that way. It just happened to be a very publicized example of it.

The same goes for people who hoarded mountains of toilet paper, diapers, sanitizing equipment, etc., even though manufacturers and government leaders said there was no reason to do so. Those people probably display regular selfish tendencies in life without much regard or concern for others.

Wow it's been so many moons since  the before-fore times that I had forgotten that exposé that got done on the dude and his brother who hoarded like ~20,000 bottles of hand sanitizer and then got blocked from selling them on Amazon.

That story still boils my blood. Capitalism gone wrong.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I’m absolutely certain privately owned businesses can do whatever they want. The “within reason” part pretty much only applies to legally protected civil rights, which dress code, wearing a mask, etc. are not. And even civil rights really only apply to employment practices, certain business segments such as housing or the ability to do business with governmental entities. Technically I could prevent Lithuanians (it’s just an example) or people with purple hair from entering my business and they have no legal rights to prevent me from doing that. It’s more a court of public opinion issue.

Ive strongly considered chatting with the customer service people at my Sam’s Club about why they don’t enforce a “no mask, no service/entry” policy. It annoys me when I go to the trouble to help protect others health and upwards of 50% of their knuckle dragging customers act like they’re above it. But I know I wouldn’t get very far with them. Their rules come out of Bentonville and Walmart/Sams seems pretty fond of their gun toting, flag waving, questionably attired customer base. I suppose the thing to do is write a letter to their headquarters but I’m sure it would be a waste of ink. So I’ll just continue to go there when I need to and make snide comments as I pass by the dipsh#ts.

Yeah I hear you. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that restrictions and public health initiatives are only going to get looser, not stronger. I'm doing what I can for myself and those close to me but that feels about like the only control I have.

• Plus1 1

Beyond being upset about restrictions, this has definitely brought the tin foil hats out. And the ignorance. Im getting pretty worn down by all of the people who think we just need to get back to our lives. Im about ready to say have at it and just keeping to myself about all of this. I just keep asking myself at what point do people start taking this seriously? How many deaths will it take before people realize maybe we didn't need to get back to it so quickly? It seems to me by the time everyone starts to get on the same page about how big of a threat this is it will be far too late. Its already too late. I'm disheartened to say the least 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:29 AM, Nebfanatic said:

A lady at the restaurant I work at began crying real tears because her party of 7 couldn't sit all together and had to be seated at 2 tables next to each other. Cried for a good 20 minutes about it. Generally I have seen good things but I've also seen alot of childishness 

OK, I have a family of 5.  My daughters both have boyfriends and we have all spent a ton of time together.  We were all just in Lincoln over the weekend helping the daughters move.  So.....we can't all go eat together?  No, it wouldn't make me cry.  But, there has to be some reasonableness to this.  If we haven't spread the virus amongst us by now, it's not going to be.  

• Plus1 1