Big XII Media Day

GSG

One of

the steps in his progression is not taking sacks.

And when you look at sacks the overall consensus

is your line is not doing well when you take a sack.

But sacks are the extension of everybody that

plays on offense. It has to do with the timing of the

quarterbacks, the timing of the receivers to get

open, and that's critical. If they're not on time, then

they're going to disrupt the rhythm of the attack.

comments on this? Does anyone disagree in thinking that the average time it took the receivers to get open was more than adequate...and that the offensive line was to blame last year? Or is Callahan right in saying it's all a perfectly timed dance in that one mistake by someone can bring the whole offense down and the opposing team rushing their asses off towards the QB?

granted I don't think the OL meant to let Taylor get hit so much, but I felt they really needed to step it up more. Taylor shouldn't HAVE to be the one keeping his cool and throwing the ball off fast. He should have all the time in the world to get those receivers down field.

Zac took the blame way to often last year, hopefully the O-line, and I think they will, will turn the corner before the beginning of the year and gel before the USC game

the only time I blamed Zac was when he threw crappy passes. Everything else was just a protection problem in my opinion.

I'm optimistic about this year though...extremely optimistic. I think with the experience everyone has learned from last year we'll definitely bring out A game to each matchup.

There were so many sacks last yr (I heard or read 37 somewhere), there was plenty of blame to go around. Sometimes I felt Zac held on the ball too long. Also some times you could point at play calling. Also felt our receivers ran some funky routes at times. We also had problems with blitzes at times especially on the overload blitzes which are so pop with teams these days. Left tackle was a inconsistant spot all season as well.

Its pretty plain we have a lot of work to do in this phase of the game to improve this situation.

Slausen is going to be a stud this year, Murtha will come of age and start showing what he is capable of, Patrick can play guard or tackle, Austin is a seasoned player with a heart of a lion, and Mann is the ancor. with all of the newcomers that show promise Zac will be protected alot better this year

Slausen is going to be a stud this year, Murtha will come of age and start showing what he is capable of, Patrick can play guard or tackle, Austin is a seasoned player with a heart of a lion, and Mann is the ancor. with all of the newcomers that show promise Zac will be protected alot better this year

I agree. I think the line will be a much better line than last year. Tylor will get hit and sacked less, allowing for more yards in the air, and a better running game.

If the line can open up holes for the running game, then the defense won't be able to focus on disrupting the pass. That should give Taylor some more time. From what I've read about Slausburger and what I've seen of Murtha (he's on my Facebook), the tackle play should be MUCH improved. Not to mention the much more experienced and thicker interior with Mann, Austin, and Christensen.

I agree. The long ball will definitely help especially since our receivers are getting better everyday. Not to mention the new, bigger receivers coming in that go up for that jump ball. I think some drag routes or some simple outs could also spread the defense across the width of the field too.