Bo Pelini Unfiltered

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It was the combination of his ego and big-mouth combined with his inability to do any better that doomed Pelini. If he'd won a conference title or more, he'd have been given a longer leash. 

Yes...

I think if he had 5-6 more wins during his time here...he is still here.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:14 AM, teachercd said:

He literally had the same record all the time, regardless who was on his team.  

He also recruited RG and LD.  Compton too, right?  Burkhead?  Ameer?  VV?  Collins?  Those guys are all in the NFL or were in the NFL.

He didn't regress, he stayed the same.  That is what pissed off fans.

As far as switching conferences, that was a huge mistake.  

Records don't say much about how good a team is. 

Going from playing all games close, playing championship games close, playing in championship games regularly, and finishing in the top 25 to the opposite of all those things is a regression. 

But yeah, he was in the same place after year 6 that he was in year 1 - same distance away from competing for a championship. And coaches don't just become championship caliber after year 6.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:42 PM, Mavric said:

People were so convinced that a drunk monkey could win nine games each year that they have to go to extraordinary lengths to not give Pelini any credit whatsoever.

I'm all for firing Frost and hiring this monkey. I'll even buy him a case of whatever his drink of choice is. 

• Haha 1
On 5/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, teachercd said:

He literally had the same record all the time, regardless who was on his team.  

He also recruited RG and LD.  Compton too, right?  Burkhead?  Ameer?  VV?  Collins?  Those guys are all in the NFL or were in the NFL.

He didn't regress, he stayed the same.  That is what pissed off fans.

As far as switching conferences, that was a huge mistake.  

I disgree 1000%. The Big Ten is light years ahead of the Big Twelve in terms of cohesion, respect and output. Also, it was an absolute no-brainer at the time the decision was made, not only from an AD standpoint, but from a University standpoint as well. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Records don't say much about how good a team is. 

Going from playing all games close, playing championship games close, playing in championship games regularly, and finishing in the top 25 to the opposite of all those things is a regression. 

But yeah, he was in the same place after year 6 that he was in year 1 - same distance away from competing for a championship. And coaches don't just become championship caliber after year 6.

I am one of those odd people that sort of think records say a lot about how good a team is...

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I disgree 1000%. The Big Ten is light years ahead of the Big Twelve in terms of cohesion, respect and output. Also, it was an absolute no-brainer at the time the decision was made, not only from an AD standpoint, but from a University standpoint as well. 

Sort of...but remember everyone was like "Oh my gosh all the conferences are going to explode and the Big 12 will be gone" but that didn't happen, not even close.  

Respect?  I mean, maybe?  But the Big 12 seems to make the playoffs each year too.  I guess I don't know how you measure that for sure.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am one of those odd people that sort of think records say a lot about how good a team is...

It does say a lot. But there's room inside record for a wide range of specifics about how good a team is compared to another team with the same record.

That's why some teams can go 10-4 and be ranked #10 at the end of the season and others, like us, can go 10-4 and end ranked #25.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Sort of...but remember everyone was like "Oh my gosh all the conferences are going to explode and the Big 12 will be gone" but that didn't happen, not even close.  

Respect?  I mean, maybe?  But the Big 12 seems to make the playoffs each year too.  I guess I don't know how you measure that for sure.

Hindsight is also 20/20. No one, other than maybe the ADs at OU and UT had any idea how much life was still in the Big 12 at the time, and had they gone to the Pac 12 (as was thisclose to happening: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-was-within-30-minutes-of-leaving-for-the-pac-10-in-2010/), then Nebraska would have been stuck holding the bag in what essentially would have been a Group of 5 conference with no money, little academic prestige and no chance at making what would become the playoff. 

7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It does say a lot. But there's room inside record for a wide range of specifics about how good a team is compared to another team with the same record.

That's why some teams can go 10-4 and be ranked #10 at the end of the season and others, like us, can go 10-4 and end ranked #25.

Sure...how about we make this easy though...

If your team wins 10 games...are you a 10 win team?

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Hindsight is also 20/20. No one, other than maybe the ADs at OU and UT had any idea how much life was still in the Big 12 at the time, and had they gone to the Pac 12 (as was thisclose to happening: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-was-within-30-minutes-of-leaving-for-the-pac-10-in-2010/), then Nebraska would have been stuck holding the bag in what essentially would have been a Group of 5 conference with no money, little academic prestige and no chance at making what would become the playoff. 

I get it and I remember all that too but do you really think that NU was going to be left without a conference?  

I get it is more money (but that doesn't directly impact me so I don't care)

academic prestige?  I mean...there is a reason I don't watch Ivy League games.

45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get it and I remember all that too but do you really think that NU was going to be left without a conference? 

That chance was real enough that Osborne and Perlman acted on the opportunity to move. They were in the know at the time, and even if you don't trust Perlman, most people believe that Osborne truly has the University's best interests at heart. 

47 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get it is more money (but that doesn't directly impact me so I don't care)

academic prestige?  I mean...there is a reason I don't watch Ivy League games.

Well, some of us (and this isn't meant to put words in your mouth) care about the actual university, too.