2nd year player who will breakthrough

They have Ty Robinson as the breakthrough guy in 2020...

https://cfbsaturdays.com/around-the-big-ten-west-2nd-year-players-who-will-breakthrough-in-2020/

I would go with him (Wandale probably doesn't count) or maybe Benhart if someone underperforms.

What do you guys think?

• Plus1 2

I think there will be several who break through.  Redshirting the majority of the class was a very wise decision for the physical and mental maturity of the players.

I like Ty Robinson on defense.

On offense, my pick would be Rahmir Johnson.  Fantastic burst.....

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

On offense, my pick would be Rahmir Johnson.  Fantastic burst.....

I like this.  Legit track speed.  Should bring the Lightning to Mills' Thunder.

If Vokolek counts as a second year player, I'll got with him as well.  Plus Benhart on offense.

On defense, I really hope Ty Robinson makes a splash.  That would be huge.  Nelson got some good run last year but I think he has more impact plays this year.  And Javin Wright is my darkhorse.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I like this.  Legit track speed.  Should bring the Lightning to Mills' Thunder.

If Vokolek counts as a second year player, I'll got with him as well.  Plus Benhart on offense.

On defense, I really hope Ty Robinson makes a splash.  That would be huge.  Nelson got some good run last year but I think he has more impact plays this year.  And Javin Wright is my darkhorse.

Agreed about Wright on defense.  I believe he's the one the staff has been complimenting for his instincts and football intelligence 

Again, I think we might be surprised how beneficial redshirting the majority of the freshmen was for their maturity.

Maybe some think wandale already arrived but I expect a huge jump this year so it could be perceived as a breakout. He had a nice freshman year but I think he could have a rondale Moore type year since I think they have enough running backs they can now use wandale in his duck r position 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, GIHusker said:

They have Ty Robinson as the breakthrough guy in 2020...

https://cfbsaturdays.com/around-the-big-ten-west-2nd-year-players-who-will-breakthrough-in-2020/

I would go with him (Wandale probably doesn't count) or maybe Benhart if someone underperforms.

What do you guys think?

If things go according to plan Benhart will be starting RT and Farniok will move to guard.  I'd lean toward RG so Benhart has somebody right there that knows everything.

With our losses on D-line we desperately need a couple youngsters to step-up. Robinson and Keem Green are probably our best candidates to do that.

Looking forward to seeing what Vokolek and Rahmir can do on O. Vokolek had transfer offers from programs proven to put TE's in the NFL and Rahmir looked good in his limited action last season.

• Fire 1

I think Noa Pola-Gates has the potential to breakout in the secondary. There is a fair amount of depth and experience there, but he just seems like a kid with the work ethic and talent to explore there. I agree with Robinson on the DL too. Seems like a LB could be a breakout candidate maybe Heinrich or Hannah.

• Plus1 1

Not sure which of our youngsters will but there is room for several WRs and a TE to step forward and make lots of receiving plays.  

Hopefully one young RB really shines and can be the #2 behind Mills.  Mills - if he stayed in shape - should be a leader.  Experience wont keep a newbie from being a rising star by game 4.  

34 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Seems like a LB could be a breakout candidate maybe Heinrich or Hannah

While I think Robinson is an obvious candidate, our great need is for one or both of the 2 Hs to breakout.   If Robinson, Heinrich and Hannah can breakout then I think I will be pleasantly surprised by our D.  And if the other H brother breaks out -  Will Honas - then I'll be really pleased.  He has yet to live up to the JR College hype.  I think our secondary will carry their own weight well  - if the front 7 can produce game changers then we might have a D worthy of the offense. 

• Plus1 1

I think this will be the year we see younger guys pushing older guys out of their roles, instead of just filling in as rotational guys. I could see both Farmer and Newsome starting by the end of the year, and guys like NPG and Wright could definitely step in as well. Looking for Henrich to take one of the ILB spots, and I think Nelson will take a big leap. I like Rahmir too - I think the incoming guys are more complete backs, but Rahmir has home run speed and a head start on the playbook and S&C.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think this will be the year we see younger guys pushing older guys out of their roles, instead of just filling in as rotational guys. I could see both Farmer and Newsome starting by the end of the year, and guys like NPG and Wright could definitely step in as well. Looking for Henrich to take one of the ILB spots, and I think Nelson will take a big leap. I like Rahmir too - I think the incoming guys are more complete backs, but Rahmir has home run speed and a head start on the playbook and S&C.

I think you're right, but if that happens I don't expect us to see a huge jump in the win column this year but next year will be huge. Frost's first recruiting class was done in such a short period of time, it's hard to believe that the overall quality of those recruits are as high as his last two classes have been. If that's the case, then we are still a year or two of development away before true potential begins to be met