1st Year Players to Breakout

1st Year Breakout Candidate  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have the other thread discussing breakout 2nd year players.  My question is Who will be our breakout 1st year player.  Last year it was Wan'Dale.

This year it will be :dunno

The poll has 2 questions - multiple choice for offense and multiple choice for defense.  There is an 'other' in case I missed someone or someone has

a candidate in mind that will come out of the blue and will be a big surprise.

By Breakout  - I'm not saying they have to have a season like Wan'Dale did last year.  This is esp true on Defense where it is more difficult for a first

year player to make a huge contribution - thus I listed fewer players there. 

• Plus1 1

I think Gunnerson will hit the ground running, he's built like a prototypical pass-rushing 3-4 OLB already. And I think Morrison or Scott contributes significantly, not sure which. Manning is an easy pick as a highly rated Juco player at our biggest position of need. I don't know about a major impact from Greene this year, he's pretty slight. But super excited for him in the future.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I think Gunnerson will hit the ground running, he's built like a prototypical pass-rushing 3-4 OLB already. And I think Morrison or Scott contributes significantly, not sure which. Manning is an easy pick as a highly rated Juco player at our biggest position of need. I don't know about a major impact from Greene this year, he's pretty slight. But super excited for him in the future.

I’d venture to say if anything Gunnerson is a big run stopper. Didn’t have a lot of sack production (granted he was injured & has now since been corrected) 

It sounds more and more all the time like he's going to grow into a DE.

• Fire 1

I said Gunnerson on D.  I am really excited about his potential. 

On offense: Morrison.  Living in the Tulsa area, I saw what he could do.  While I think Manning needs to be and will be a big contributor, I see Morrison as getting more actual touches and I think he will make the most of it. 

If Manning & Vokalek can open up the lanes by drawing defenders to them, then Wan'Dale, Morrison and I really hope JD

will reap the benefits.  Having a bonafide  (what movie??) long ball threat & a big target TE will open the run and pass game for WD, Morrison and JD, not to mention the other RBs.

• Plus1 1

My sleeper pick would be Jordan Riley. We need depth at nose, and I think Tuioti mentioned they got him up to ~330 when he came in around 305, so he's definitely a nose. He apparently showed some good flashes as a freshman at UNC too.

Think the thing here is he's got excellent size and some D1 experience. If he's able to step in and provide some good reps, we won't have to rely on Daniels' conditioning. Which I hope is much improved. Also allow Robinson to play more DE.

• Plus1 1

I don't think these 2 will be THE breakout 1st year players, but I expect Fleming & Hutmacher to play bigger roles than most anticipate.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Scott have an Ameer type impact as a Fre.  He carried a mediocre team against elite competition in Central FL.  Put him on one of the better teams & I can't imagine how good he would have looked.

3 hours ago, floridacorn said:

I don't think these 2 will be THE breakout 1st year players, but I expect Fleming & Hutmacher to play bigger roles than most anticipate.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Scott have an Ameer type impact as a Fre.  He carried a mediocre team against elite competition in Central FL.  Put him on one of the better teams & I can't imagine how good he would have looked.

Scott was another one I was thinking of all.    Hope he has an Ameer type impact - that would be a pleasant surprise.   As I look as these play makers, I can start seeing what Frost wants to do. Hopefully wt improved QB and OL play, we can take advantage of the skill sets coming in.