*** Husker FB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

In the spirit of '78, I was rooting for a tOSU/UM rematch.

I simply root for new champions.  No one wants to see repeat champs or dynasties outside of that team's fanbase.  New teams and good games make for better TV. I wouldn't even bother watching Bama-Clemson part 5, that's boring.

• Plus1 2

I honestly want TCU to win the championship. I do not want Georgia to repeat. This way, when people say a new coach cannot succeed in one year, I will keep using Sonny Dykes and TCU as a counter argument. If you are a good coach, you are a good coach. Everything else is an excuse. 

I hope TCU embarrasses Georgia. If there is a conference I hate, it is the SEC. And they suck this bowl season.

37 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I honestly want TCU to win the championship. I do not want Georgia to repeat. This way, when people say a new coach cannot succeed in one year, I will keep using Sonny Dykes and TCU as a counter argument. If you are a good coach, you are a good coach. Everything else is an excuse. 

I hope TCU embarrasses Georgia. If there is a conference I hate, it is the SEC. And they suck this bowl season.

Yes, Sonny Dykes having this success does show an immediate turnaround CAN happen, but that is probably one of the biggest outliers in college football history. I don’t think it’s a good idea to use outliers and exceptions for arguments of probability. 

Another outlier for TCU this year is their record in close games. TCU is now 6-1 in games within 1 score (8 points or less) with another 2 wins by 10 points.  Yes, TCU is making the plays to win those games, but that 6-1 record in close games is another example of an outlier. TCU is fortunate to be 13-1 this year. With the amount of close games it has played, their more realistic outcome of their season would have been 8-5 to 10-3, which is still great, but far from the 2nd best team in the country. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Sonny Dykes having this success does show an immediate turnaround CAN happen, but that is probably one of the biggest outliers in college football history. I don’t think it’s a good idea to use outliers and exceptions for arguments of probability. 

Much like how you had a guy win the Heisman as a freshman, and now some people expect all players to be polished and perfected as freshmen, or else they're a total bust. :bang

Trust me, I am not delusional at all. I have no expectations of us making a run for the playoffs in Rhule’s first year, but I really hope that this team at least makes a bowl game in his first year. We are the ONLY power 5 football team not to make a bowl game in six years. My point is that it should not take 4 years. We gave Frost way more time than needed even though the product on the field was atrocious. We kept making excuses for him. I just hope we do not keep doing the same convincing ourselves a good coach needs three to four years to turn things around. Bret had a quick impact on the Illini and so did several new coaches who showed a very quick impact on the teams they joined. I hope we can get into a bowl in year 1 and hopefully compete for a division title in year 2. These are reasonable benchmarks.

23 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do you think schools in Nebraska’s bordering states want NU to get better? No, they don’t. They want NU to keep sucking so they can come in and recruits the Nebraska high school players for their own schools. I sure as heck am not rooting for any of those schools on Saturdays. 

Rooting for your conference rivals are what losing teams do to “prop up” themselves because their own team sucks so bad. 

It’s what good teams do, so that losses look like “good losses” and they can still get into the playoffs. 

• TBH 1

There is much to be done.  More than since the early 1960s.  Can it be done?  Yes. Quickly?  No.  Winning 6 games ?  Yes, but that is not the same as turning the program around (the true goal imo).  A season may be played one game at a time and that should the team’s immediate focus.  But the HC needs to also keep the bigger goal of the program focused on sustaining excellence.  Forest vs the trees in a way. 

Most of the recruiting emphasis has been aimed at the weakest areas of the current roster which can provide some short term benefit but still is laying the foundation for the future.  Most of the transfer portal guys are backup level players in many ways.  A few can make a big difference but suddenly becoming a title contender will have as much to do with opponents’ regression as NU progression, imo.  

A bowl game in Rhule's first season? Why not? 

We're not exactly swinging for the fences here. At this point Nebraska is merely aspiring to be Purdue. Or even Maryland. 

As bad as Nebraska played last year, they were two games from bowl eligibility. I'd sure like to think a marginally better coach could turn any two of the close losses to Northwestern, Georgia Southern, Purdue, Minnesota, or Wisconsin into wins

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1