*** Husker FB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

36 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

Do you understand how the world works?

I’m just curious what type of “returns” you would expect as a donor? Yes, if I were a big donor, I would be frustrated with the lack of winning over the past 20 years. But, that’s the risk you take in donating to a college athletic program. The big donors do get perks from the athletic department in terms of tickets, sky boxes, Champions Club passes/tailgate spots, etc. Honestly, if I were a big donor, I would struggle giving big $ to a NIL fund just to pay the players. I think players should be compensated for their NIL, but these NIL funds are outside the original intent of the program. I do think the success of NU’s NIL funds have been getting a big quantity of mid-sized donations. But even then, I personally would struggle making that donation every year. 

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m just curious what type of “returns” you would expect as a donor? Yes, if I were a big donor, I would be frustrated with the lack of winning over the past 20 years. But, that’s the risk you take in donating to a college athletic program. The big donors do get perks from the athletic department in terms of tickets, sky boxes, Champions Club passes/tailgate spots, etc. Honestly, if I were a big donor, I would struggle giving big $ to a NIL fund just to pay the players. I think players should be compensated for their NIL, but these NIL funds are outside the original intent of the program. 

And if that happened I think in today's society Nebraska wouldn't be able to attract a Arik Gilbert type of player.  That 5 star talent you need for your program to compete to win games to elevate the program where it hasn't been in years and yes I do think that Arik Gilbert contributes to the team this year.

32 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And if that happened I think in today's society Nebraska wouldn't be able to attract a Arik Gilbert type of player.  That 5 star talent you need for your program to compete to win games to elevate the program where it hasn't been in years and yes I do think that Arik Gilbert contributes to the team this year.

I understand NIL is part of college football right now, and now it’s important for NU. I think it has some good aspects to it, but I think it has negative aspects to it. I am just saying I would have a hard time donating a lot of $ to a NIL fund. Of course, it’s not even an issue for me, and if I had millions or billions of $ to able to be a “big donor” maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal to make the annual donation.   However, wealthy people don’t get wealthy by throwing away their money. If these donors were giving their money away without improvement in the product, I could see those donors think about stopping their donations. 

42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand NIL is part of college football right now, and now it’s important for NU. I think it has some good aspects to it, but I think it has negative aspects to it. I am just saying I would have a hard time donating a lot of $ to a NIL fund. Of course, it’s not even an issue for me, and if I had millions or billions of $ to able to be a “big donor” maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal to make the annual donation.   However, wealthy people don’t get wealthy by throwing away their money. If these donors were giving their money away without improvement in the product, I could see those donors think about stopping their donations. 

Which is totally understandable but it definitely would be hard to compete to get kids to come to your school or not leave and join another team that is willing to pay that's all.  When I think of Nebraska I think of the Dallas Cowboys.  The owner Jerry Jones is willing to spend on the stadium and players and Nebraska donors are like the owner willing to spend but in the end both have failed.  But point is both are willing to spend to achieve the goal of winning.

19 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Which is totally understandable but it definitely would be hard to compete to get kids to come to your school or not leave and join another team that is willing to pay that's all.  When I think of Nebraska I think of the Dallas Cowboys.  The owner Jerry Jones is willing to spend on the stadium and players and Nebraska donors are like the owner willing to spend but in the end both have failed.  But point is both are willing to spend to achieve the goal of winning.

But Jerry Jones makes $ operating the Dallas Cowboys every year and sees the worth of the Cowboys increase every year. Jerry’s initial $150 million investment is now worth an estimated $8 billion.  Meanwhile the Cowboys haven’t been to the NFC championship in 27 seasons.  You say his goal is to win, as a Cowboys fan myself, he has failed miserably for nearly 3 decades.

You may treat big NU donors as “owners” but they don’t get a return on investment, other than what’s been stated in previous posts. They are making a donation, while Jerry Jones is running a business. Jerry Jones is a very successful businessman, but he’s a terrible sports owner when it comes to winning. 

19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But Jerry Jones makes $ operating the Dallas Cowboys every year and sees the worth of the Cowboys increase every year. Jerry’s initial $150 million investment is now worth an estimated $8 billion.  Meanwhile the Cowboys haven’t been to the NFC championship in 27 seasons.  You say his goal is to win, as a Cowboys fan myself, he has failed miserably for nearly 3 decades.

You may treat big NU donors as “owners” but they don’t get a return on investment, other than what’s been stated in previous posts. They are making a donation, while Jerry Jones is running a business. Jerry Jones is a very successful businessman, but he’s a terrible sports owner when it comes to winning. 

That's true.  The only real investment for any donor to get a return is if the program wins and also gets exposure from that.  My whole point in all of this is that I understand that if Nebraska wasn't winning and you donated to the University that's understandable to stop.  Nebraska couldn't compete with other universities if that were to happen if they were to have say a Haasan Reddick player on the team.  Not highly recruited but when developed teams realized what type of player he is and could offer him more stability.  Not saying that's every situation but feel like in today's college football coaches have to re-recruit players which never was the case before.  If Nebraska donor's stopped donating then Nebraska would be further down the rabbit hole and it be alot harder to climb out if ever.

Good review of the books by  written by Paul Koch, who was a member of the strength of the conditioning staff from 1987 to 1995. Paul assembled around 890,000 words of interviews from players, coaches, and staff that included basically everyone not named Tommy. Paul published these books together in 2013. I don’t believe most husker fans are aware of Paul’s books, otherwise we would have more conversations about The Pit. No one I know has it ever mentioned The Girthing, nor does anyone talk about how Charlie McBride used to carry a board with two nail sticking out of it that he would whack players with when they screwed up. Explanations for all of these are included in Paul’s book, along with recollections of events that were key in moving Nebraska football from good to great to legendary. Links to Paul's Books: There is No Place Like Nebraska - Anatomy of An Era Vol 1: https://amzn.to/3kNPjnh There is No Place Like Nebraska - Anatomy of An Era Vol 2: https://amzn.to/3WMhRLl