The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The incident and officer who sparked this aside. I never had any idea that there was this much anger brewing in Minneapolis. Sure I've heard about large immigrant population and would have expected some tensions related to that, but nothing like this.

I'm fine with the protests, the anger, and to an extent the riots. The looting though... I don't get it. It makes the community look aweful and it hurts people who had nothing to do with the incident.

Trump should have absolutely never tweeted what he did. He is inciting the violence (and from what I gather using a racist tactic from the Miami police chief during the civil Rights era). That being said, I'd be lying if I didn't have the same thought... But I quickly switch to how to you arrest these people since more violence is not the answer. This can't become LA's Korea Town in the 90s.

Philando Castile wasn’t that long ago. I’d imagine there is still a lot of “rightful” pent up hostility over that senseless tragedy.

The city would be wise to arrest the officer(s) today.  Let the legal system sort it out.  But they need to do something or this will get really, really ugly.

Looting might be the most idiotic/senseless reaction to injustice imaginable. How many of these people do you think actually care about George Floyd? And how many do you think just want free s#!t, and like to destroy things? Yeah.

It's also another good reason every (small) business should be armed. 

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Looting might be the most idiotic/senseless reaction to injustice imaginable. How many of these people do you think actually care about George Floyd? And how many do you think just want free s#!t, and like to destroy things? Yeah.

If I had to guess...the ones that really care about Floyd are not even doing the rioting.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Read: "when the looting starts, the shooting starts." Thanks for jumping in the thread, Donald. Any thoughts on systemic racism, campaigning on police brutality to the the applause of uniformed officers, torturing and murdering unarmed black men, not arresting murderers, arresting the press reporting, etc.? Or is it just the looting?

51 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The incident and officer who sparked this aside. I never had any idea that there was this much anger brewing in Minneapolis. Sure I've heard about large immigrant population and would have expected some tensions related to that, but nothing like this.

I'm fine with the protests, the anger, and to an extent the riots. The looting though... I don't get it. It makes the community look aweful and it hurts people who had nothing to do with the incident.

Trump should have absolutely never tweeted what he did. He is inciting the violence (and from what I gather using a racist tactic from the Miami police chief during the civil Rights era). That being said, I'd be lying if I didn't have the same thought... But I quickly switch to how to you arrest these people since more violence is not the answer. This can't become LA's Korea Town in the 90s.

I fully support protests and understand the anger.  I don't understand looting and burning of buildings.  Those actions actually harm the cause they are trying to support.  

I also am a firm believer that there is an eliminate in our society that looks at these opportunities as a chance to cause MORE unrest.  They really don't care about the cause the protest is supporting.  They only want anarchy and unrest as much as possible.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fully support protests and understand the anger.  I don't understand looting and burning of buildings.  Those actions actually harm the cause they are trying to support.  

I also am a firm believer that there is an eliminate in our society that looks at these opportunities as a chance to cause MORE unrest.  They really don't care about the cause the protest is supporting.  They only want anarchy and unrest as much as possible.

Yeah, I agree with all of this.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You last paragraph has a fair amount of truth to it. It's the reason you find ANTIFA near so many protests, it's the same reason gun nuts show up at COVID protests. On the flip side, at a certain point anger boils over when nothing changes from peaceful protests and this will always be the result. When we don't take these incidents seriously as a country this is where it will always end up.

I just want to say that I'm extremely encourage by @BIGREDIOWAN you are one of the many good guys in law enforcement. There are too many bad apples giving guys like you a bad image. Even if there are systemic issues, there are still good people behind the badge who will do what's right.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Philando Castile wasn’t that long ago. I’d imagine there is still a lot of “rightful” pent up hostility over that senseless tragedy.

The city would be wise to arrest the officer(s) today.  Let the legal system sort it out.  But they need to do something or this will get really, really ugly.

Justine Diamond wasn't long ago either...I don't recall burning down neighborhood businesses and a police station after that one.

This whole situation is a tragedy, from the death of a suspect right on through to the response of the angry mob and the completely inappropriate comments from Trump. The ensuing fiasco will set that City back decades....

5 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Those comments by this POS President are only going to add fuel to an already raging inferno and it'll result in people getting hurt or killed. He needs to STFU right now! :steam

I have the fear that some wacko militia group (that follow everything Trump says) is going to go to Minneapolis with their ARs thinking they are going to "keep the peace" only to find themselves in one hell of a gun fight with a lot of people getting killed.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I imagine some of it has to do with not being heard through the alternatives. An electoral majority of this country elected an open racist. John Roberts' Court denied discrimination and gutted the Voting Rights Act. Colin Kaepernick silently protests this exact thing and he is ran out of the the NFL and a punching bag for Fox News, POTUS, et al that relish in his plight. I don't understand throwing $1.7M worth of perfectly good tea into a harbor, but it proved effective. 

• Plus1 4

does anyone remember when trump told the police to not be so nice when arresting thugs?   to rough them up a little?    or when gun nuts stormed the michigan state house (or was it governer mansion?  if forget)_ and trump told the governor to meet with those very fine people and work something out?   maybe the black protesters would be very fine people also if they all had AR-15's?  apparently the guns are what make you a very fine mob.

• Plus1 3