The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

To give a much more succinct and poignant context to what I was trying to get at and failing in way more words, this was the point:

I would really recommend Propaganda as a twitter follow. Passionate, radically real hip hop/spoken word artist who offers a consistent and unique insight on race. 

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I don't think all police officers are bad. Not even close. I know a decent handful of cops, all good at their jobs and good citizens.

But I don't know how you can disagree with a conclusion that policing practices and training need a fundamental reform. We've seen too much needless and tragic death by cop to ignore it. It's not just rogue bad apples, the system of law enforcement has turned into its own entity with its own emergent qualities which at the very least allows for a reality where someone unfit for the work can be in the job, do something like this, and too often escape with impunity. 

Also I don't like the rioting and looting, but I understand it. Entire generations of communities being silenced, harassed, abused, told that we're past all that, and ignored will only stay silent, take it in the teeth and take the high road for so long.

I never said that I don't agree that some things need to be changed so I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Simply put............................THEY DO! There's obviously other threads that have been created for that discussion so I'm trying to keep my thoughts pointed towards the riots and what occurred in Minnesota. 

The other officers in this situation need to be charged as well, they were involved in this death on some level either by their actions or inaction's and need to be held accountable. It's OUR job to protect and serve...........those officers DID NOT protect and serve in this instance. They stood by while a bully crushed the life out of a man for no damn reason at all! That's not what I am as a police officer and I won't stand for any officer(s) that would stand by and let something like this occur! F-ing cowards............the lot of them! *Sorry I'm just REALLY upset with what I witnessed on that video* 

On the flip side of things Minneapolis had a golden opportunity here to be the possible turning point in American History on this hot button topic. They had the entire nation going "OH MY GOD! WHAT DID I JUST SEE?! THIS ISN'T OKAY!" They could've gotten something together more organized and progressive than this and they still might in the end and had the whole country to back them with what they were doing! Instead they decided to burn their city to the ground, burn businesses to the ground, and hurt innocent people in the process that had nothing to do with this terrible situation. That makes their ideals, complaints, and movement lose some of it's "luster" for lack of a better word. We ALL have got to do better than this as a society. We're all humans and this is terribly tragic on so many levels. 

Side note not directed at Landlord:

I wanted to be a police officer since I was 4 years old, my dad was one and served honorably, he was my hero so I HAD to be just like him. I've got twin boys that think the sun rises and sets in me, just like most dads, but one wants to be a police officer SOOOO badly, just like I did. I have to explain to that little boy, why he witnessed a police officer..............a "hero" in uniform crush the life out of a restrained black man for no justifiable or explainable reason. I can't even explain how incredibly difficult that is as a father who happens to be a police officer. Thanks A LOT for sucking and your jobs up there guys! 

• Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I never said that I don't agree that some things need to be changed so I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Simply put............................THEY DO! There's obviously other threads that have been created for that discussion so I'm trying to keep my thoughts pointed towards the riots and what occurred in Minnesota. 

Sorry, when I said "you" I didn't mean you specifically I was talking rhetorically about all of us. I think you and I are on the same page with most all of this.

10 hours ago, QMany said:

Read: "when the looting starts, the shooting starts." Thanks for jumping in the thread, Donald. Any thoughts on systemic racism, campaigning on police brutality to the the applause of uniformed officers, torturing and murdering unarmed black men, not arresting murderers, arresting the press reporting, etc.? Or is it just the looting?

Such a stupid post.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

People claim they've ID'd this guy but there isn't nearly enough evidence.

That said... who TF is this guy?

People are trying to piece it together from the various videos, but I'd be extremely cautious of anyone claiming they've ID'd this guy.

10 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Target here on the northeast side of Des Moines is boarding up tonight and preparing for a riot. Des Moines is on the list of places that is allegedly going to go crazy tonight I guess. 

One Target closed early here in Omaha...Because of some threats about looting.