The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

28 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I can’t even imagine how bad one of those would hurt.  My understanding is It’s basically just a rubber 40 cal bullet. I assume packed with a much lighter load but still, that things gonna leave a large bruise for a long time.

They can still kill you, and if they don't they'll mess you up pretty bad. Just snagging this from wiki

They are expected to produce contusions, abrasions, and hematomas. However, they may cause bone fractures, injuries to internal organs, or death. In a study of injuries in 90 patients injured by rubber bullets, 2 died, 18 suffered permanent disabilities or deformities and 44 required hospital treatment after being fired upon with rubber bullets.[6]

35 minutes ago, GSG said:

You mean this white dude that drew a (medieval) weapon on people?

I suppose getting beat up should be enough but it kinda adds to the point of the protests

Uh... that's attempted murder. Dude should be in jail.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

They're talking about a gunshot wound now... 10th and Harney.

Maybe they'll add us to the map now :(

I don't know whose map that was but the stuff I saw in the live link you posted of Omaha was right on par with most everything I've seen from across the country.

The thing is, at this point, I have no idea what possibly can be done quickly enough that would assuage the people. Maybe increasing the charges on that cop to 2nd degree murder? But I don't see anything that can happen quickly enough so I wonder how long this will go on.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't know whose map that was but the stuff I saw in the live link you posted of Omaha was right on par with most everything I've seen from across the country.

The thing is, at this point, I have no idea what possibly can be done quickly enough that would assuage the people. Maybe increasing the charges on that cop to 2nd degree murder? But I don't see anything that can happen quickly enough so I wonder how long this will go on.

I don't know because this isn't about 1 incident. That (and maybe a little bit the virus) were the straw that broke the camel's back.

I looked up Eric Garner again and that was 6 years ago and the police officer who had the choke hold on him didn't get fired until 2019 and there were never any charges. I understand thinking peaceful protest isn't gonna work. Although there are definitely a lot of other people who are just opportunists.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think this is less like the LA Riots and more like The Long Hot Summer of 1967. This could be a long one...

57 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know because this isn't about 1 incident. That (and maybe a little bit the virus) were the straw that broke the camel's back.

I looked up Eric Garner again and that was 6 years ago and the police officer who had the choke hold on him didn't get fired until 2019 and there were never any charges. I understand thinking peaceful protest isn't gonna work. Although there are definitely a lot of other people who are just opportunists.

Yeah, understanding how we got here isn’t terribly hard. This pretty much explains it...

FM045_-_Kennedy_Quote.jpg

As much as I hate the rioting, looting and destruction, it’s just what is bound to happen after enough of these incidents when nothing has fundamentally been changed. People who are treated unfairly or who have been wronged will fight back with increasing intensity. Sure some are opportunists out to exploit the situation but the key will be addressing the base problem of police brutality. And the vast majority of police seem to agree with that. It’s a handful of bad apples causing problems for the whole batch. There needs to be systemic changes that reduce these incidents and make it easier to get the bad apples removed.

I would say a good first step would be to prevent police unions from questioning, disputing or defending officers charged with malfeasance, along with changing the culture in some of these departments. I also see a need to probably severely limit each officers contact with the public and perps. I imagine many of them get fed up from daily dealing with the worst elements in society. That constant BS has to play into it and the only way around that would seem to be much less contact with it. Of course that means many more officers to spread out the load. I know I wouldn’t be suited for it. I’d probably shoot about the 3rd belligerent dhead I had to deal with.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, understanding how we got here isn’t terribly hard. This pretty much explains it...

FM045_-_Kennedy_Quote.jpg

As much as I hate the rioting, looting and destruction, it’s just what is bound to happen after enough of these incidents when nothing has fundamentally been changed. People who are treated unfairly or who have been wronged will fight back with increasing intensity. Sure some are opportunists out to exploit the situation but the key will be addressing the base problem of police brutality. And the vast majority of police seem to agree with that. It’s a handful of bad apples causing problems for the whole batch. There needs to be systemic changes that reduce these incidents and make it easier to get the bad apples removed.

I would say a good first step would be to prevent police unions from questioning, disputing or defending officers charged with malfeasance, along with changing the culture in some of these departments. I also see a need to probably severely limit each officers contact with the public and perps. I imagine many of them get fed up from daily dealing with the worst elements in society. That constant BS has to play into it and the only way around that would seem to be much less contact with it. Of course that means many more officers to spread out the load. I know I wouldn’t be suited for it. I’d probably shoot about the 3rd belligerent dhead I had to deal with.

Good stuff, JJ. Hit the nail on the head here.

Being a cop is a tough job. I'm sure they put up with a lot of s#!t on a daily basis.

But our society's culture re: police is sick and and to change. It pains me because the vast majority of them like @BIGREDIOWAN do a great job and take care to do things the right way and want to hold their own accountable.

But there are still too many Derek Chauvins out there. And I get the sense far too many cops across the nation don't want to see Derek Chauvin face a serious reckoning for his actions because that means dealing with all the other Derek Chauvins out there. Too many don't want things to change because that means change for them too and they could be the next Derek Chauvin. 

Seeing reports of cops turning off body cams and seriously troubling misconduct from them dealing with the insanity tonight. I get they're out their in the thick of things with a bunch of crazies, but it's horrifying seeing they way some of them are engaging peaceful members of the press and protesters.

And of course our crazy a$$ president encourages this sh#t. 

I'm kind of rambling now so sorry. But the thrust of what I"m trying to say is the deeply entrenched system that dictates interactions between police & the rest of us in society is a sickness that badly needs reform for the benefit of both sides. 

• Plus1 1