The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Obama established something similar to this, but Trump got rid of it. 

https://www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/lc-sessions-justice-police-reforms-trump-doj-milwaukee.html

Ya, I posted about it somewhere else to. We need to get rid of Trump as well. He likes to pardon murderers in the military so I'm guessing he has the same attitude with the police.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Do you understand the imbalance of power and responsibility between the two groups? 

The obvious would be "don't let racists ****bags be police officers", but that's beyond the scope of my influence. At the base level, in regards to the systemic problems of police brutality? Police officers should be required to go through much, much, much more de-escalation training than what they currently do. Start there, and let's get serious about race as a society. 

Do they have some physical sign on their bodies...? How does one know, during the hiring process, that an applicant is a racist prick? How much do you think they currently receive regarding training

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Reporters aren't attacking police officers. But police officers are attacking reporters. And random people. And there's video of it from multiple cities. This is egregious.

Just sift through this thread.

I don’t know about any of these other examples but the reporter pictured in that first video is the guy I’ve been referring to as “Whiner Guy”. His version of events and claims of police wrongdoings should not be believed. I was watching that news telecast live. That crowd had been told they were violating curfew and asked to disperse multiple times. When they repeatedly failed to do so, then yes, the police strategically split the crowd in two and THEN fired teargas and rubber bullets to split and disperse the crowd. How many times do they need to be told before this yahoo would consider it “announced” and “without provocation”? Whiner guy gets gassed and takes a rubber bullet to the knee and from that point forward all he does is disparage the police on national TV. Of course all of this occurred at least 30 minutes after the curfew time everyone was told would be enforced. His version of events is completely out of context and heavily influenced because he happened to get caught in a bad position with the aggressive and non-compliant crowd (who were throwing items at police). I don’t think it helps anything to share false and suspect claims.

16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t know about any of these other examples but the reporter pictured in that first video is the guy I’ve been referring to as “Whiner Guy”. His version of events and claims of police wrongdoings should not be believed. I was watching that news telecast live. That crowd had been told they were violating curfew and asked to disperse multiple times. When they repeatedly failed to do so, then yes, the police strategically split the crowd in two and THEN fired teargas and rubber bullets to split and disperse the crowd. How many times do they need to be told before this yahoo would consider it “announced” and “without provocation”? Whiner guy gets gassed and takes a rubber bullet to the knee and from that point forward all he does is disparage the police on national TV. Of course all of this occurred at least 30 minutes after the curfew time everyone was told would be enforced. His version of events is completely out of context and heavily influenced because he happened to get caught in a bad position with the aggressive and non-compliant crowd (who were throwing items at police). I don’t think it helps anything to share false and suspect claims.

The police are capable of not shooting people while using tear gas. This isn't strictly a binary choice of opening fire or not.

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wonder how many of America's Founding Fathers would have been referred to as "whiner guy" for their protests.

Good response. I try to provide context and truth and you employ hyperbole and rhetoric, apparently seeking to inflame a bad situation for all. Thanks?

And you are mistakenly (maybe?) referring to this news reporter as protester. I know it’s hard to tell since the actual protesters retreated while whiner guy remained at the front of the line against the police. Is it so difficult to figure out why he got gassed and hit (allegedly) with a rubber bullet? It strikes me as a lot less about reporting on the situation and more about trying to become the story.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The police are capable of not shooting people while using tear gas. This isn't strictly a binary choice of opening fire or not.

So after letting the protesters go completely uncontested the previous night, after what 4 consecutive nights of increasingly aggressive rioting, looting and property damage, your solution is to allow the mob to continue to dictate the mayhem and cause further damage for innocent business and property owners. I happen to feel enough of that behavior has already been allowed.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Good response. I try to provide context and truth and you employ hyperbole and rhetoric, apparently seeking to inflame a bad situation for all. Thanks?

That was a real response. Please stop trying to turn every word I say into a flame. People can disagree with your stance on something without you turning it into a flame war.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So after letting the protesters go completely uncontested the previous night, after what 4 consecutive nights of increasingly aggressive rioting, looting and property damage, your solution is to allow the mob to continue to dictate the mayhem and cause further damage for innocent business and property owners. I happen to feel enough of that behavior has already been allowed.

Were the people in THAT group aggressively rioting, looting and causing property damage?  Because I don't think every one of them was, so shooting into a crowd indiscriminately isn't really a great reaction.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You're doing it again. There's more actions and solutions possible than either doing nothing or tear gas and rubber bullets.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Were the people in THAT group aggressively rioting, looting and causing property damage?  Because I don't think every one of them was, so shooting into a crowd indiscriminately isn't really a great reaction.

I don’t think we can glean a lot of great reactions from either side in these situations. At some point the police need to regain control. Nobody is going to be happy when that point is reached. We can’t let it continue yet we can’t stop it to everyone’s satisfaction. I kind of chalk up to inevitable.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're doing it again. There's more actions and solutions possible than either doing nothing or tear gas and rubber bullets.

Short of fixing the base problem of too many cases of police brutality, what else could they have done last night in the midst of a riot? At some point enough is enough. Isn’t it?