The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Short of fixing the base problem of too many cases of police brutality, what else could they have done last night in the midst of a riot? At some point enough is enough. Isn’t it?

A few examples that don't involve teargas and other projectiles.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I guess my point is that cities don't intentionally go out and hire racist pricks now...so how in the world does it get changed and still function. No one wants the damn job as it is

If the police departments continue to not punish their own, racists and sadists will continue thinking it's an ideal job. They are asking to keep getting these a$$h@!es in their ranks.

And it's debatable whether some departments don't intentionally do this; if there are other like-minded people in positions of leadership, then they very well might. Look up Bob Kroll, the head of the Minneapolis police union. 7 months ago while wearing a "Cops for Trump" tshirt at a Trump rally, he praised Trump for lessening the restrictions put on the police by the Obama administration. Previous to that in 2007 he was accused in a lawsuit by Black police officers of wearing a white supremacist badge.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

The police are capable of not shooting people while using tear gas. This isn't strictly a binary choice of opening fire or not.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

So after letting the protesters go completely uncontested the previous night, after what 4 consecutive nights of increasingly aggressive rioting, looting and property damage, your solution is to allow the mob to continue to dictate the mayhem and cause further damage for innocent business and property owners. I happen to feel enough of that behavior has already been allowed.

53 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're doing it again. There's more actions and solutions possible than either doing nothing or tear gas and rubber bullets.

46 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Short of fixing the base problem of too many cases of police brutality, what else could they have done last night in the midst of a riot? At some point enough is enough. Isn’t it?

I would really appreciate an answer to this question, or at least your plan of how to manage this/these situations while also preventing the looting and property damage. Seriously, maybe there are some better solutions that haven’t occurred to me.

39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

A few examples that don't involve teargas and other projectiles.

Thank you @knapplc. Those are very good examples of possibly better ways to handle these situations. Sounds like they’re working in some areas. I just have my doubts how viable that approach would be in Minneapolis at this time. I guess I’d like to see them try that approach. Hopefully too much water hasn’t passed under that bridge.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I would really appreciate an answer to this question, or at least your plan of how to manage this/these situations while also preventing the looting and property damage. Seriously, maybe there are some better solutions that haven’t occurred to me.

knapplc gave some, but if the police needed to enforce a curfew or get people to disperse, they could try talking to the protesters and let them know they don't want to arrest them, but that they will. Then slow and meaningful escalation like start with tear gas without hitting people with the canisters. Make some arrests if people get belligerent. Save the rubber/pepper bullets as more of a last resort.

Instead, the police are actively making things worse in a lot of places. There's a couple dozens different videos of this happening in this video. In particular watch the police knock down the elderly man with the cane (13:05 mark), the police car that opens the car door to hit a protester on the way by (6:20 mark), or confiscating/destroying water and medical supplies of protesters (8:43 mark), those acts serve no purpose other than to instigate more violence in retaliation and there are many more:

Protestors in Downtown Des Moines asked officers to take a knee with them for 2 minutes and they'd then leave and abide by the 9pm curfew that was enacted today. Officers agreed and it was 2 minutes of unity between the groups and then the protestors left like they said they would peacefully. :thumbs

Unfortunately there are several other protesting groups throughout the metro that aren't as friendly. :(

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Protestors in Downtown Des Moines asked officers to take a knee with them for 2 minutes and they'd then leave and abide by the 9pm curfew that was enacted today. Officers agreed and it was 2 minutes of unity between the groups and then the protestors left like they said they would peacefully. :thumbs

Unfortunately there are several other protesting groups throughout the metro that aren't as friendly. :(

Fantastic job.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

knapplc gave some, but if the police needed to enforce a curfew or get people to disperse, they could try talking to the protesters and let them know they don't want to arrest them, but that they will. Then slow and meaningful escalation like start with tear gas without hitting people with the canisters. Make some arrests if people get belligerent. Save the rubber/pepper bullets as more of a last resort.

Instead, the police are actively making things worse in a lot of places. There's a couple dozens different videos of this happening in this video. In particular watch the police knock down the elderly man with the cane (13:05 mark), the police car that opens the car door to hit a protester on the way by (6:20 mark), or confiscating/destroying water and medical supplies of protesters (8:43 mark), those acts serve no purpose other than to instigate more violence in retaliation and there are many more:

Well, I liked the examples knapp gave a whole lot more than your video which obviously was pushing an anti-police anti-Trump agenda. Sure some of those interactions appeared a little more aggressive or unnecessary than any of us are comfortable with. But how many were taken out of context? How many didn’t show the mobs actions that led up to the moment force was used? The one thing they all did appear to have in common is large numbers of people who weren’t following lawful orders to move, leave certain areas or disperse. There is a very easy way to NOT have an altercation with police....do what you’re asked or told to do. Maybe even abide by legally issued curfews. Or, you can get in their face, push back and ignore their orders and you’ll get a result that guy can edit down and make another hit piece video out of. I’d feel pretty safe saying all of those people had numerous prior chances but they chose to press their luck.

I’m not claiming all cops are saints. That is obvious from incidents like the George Floyd deal or numerous others. The surest way to not garner almost unanimous agreement against the real problem is to conflate it with angry mobs not doing what reasonable law abiding citizens should do in those situations.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Bravo, man.