The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

after the events of the previous two nights and the shooting death of someone Saturday night.

Speaking of, has Omaha PD explained why the the white guy on video murdering a black guy on the street isn't in custody or been charged? 

1 minute ago, QMany said:

Speaking of, has Omaha PD explained why the the white guy on video murdering a black guy on the street isn't in custody or been charged? 

Are you talking about the young man that was shot and killed downtown near The Hive bar Saturday night? The alleged shooter was the bar's owner and he's been in custody since yesterday.

No official charges have been filed yet though, and the last update I heard from the county attorney was late last night saying 'no charges were going to be announced today [Sunday].'

The only video I saw of the incident was unclear as to who shot who - it was just a video from nearby and it had a large crowd. Is there a more conclusive video making the rounds?

Thanks, I hadn't seen that updated article. The last I read I thought he was questioned and released.

Before the incident, he posted on Facebook about BLM being a terrorist organization and would be pulling "48 hours of military firewatch." 

11 minutes ago, QMany said:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that updated article. The last I read I thought he was questioned and released.

Before the incident, he posted on Facebook about BLM being a terrorist organization and would be pulling "48 hours of military firewatch." 

Someone who claims to be a witness to the shooting said that the bar owner was shouting " 'n-word' lover" to people at the time of the shooting, too.

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

I guess there are rumors of mass killings in DC. Everything went offline and black. Phones were jammed and natl guard had suppressors at the end of their guns. People that know some of the protestors have not heard from them since lst night, etc. Who knows how true these rumors are but I wouldnt doubt it since Trump apparently went into a bunker. Plus his rhetoric over the last few days. 

Edit: Anonymous is on the case and has found it to be a nothing burger. 

I wanted to repost so everyone could see the edit.

This guy compiled a HUGE list (WAY more than 10 - I think it's in the 90s now) of suspect behavior from police. Interesting to peruse if you've got the time. They range the gamut from "I don't think that's really what that shows" to straight-up police brutality and unnecessary escalation. 

Enhance stated this well - there's right and wrong on both sides going around. But I personally hold the police to a higher standard. I expect a lot of protesters to be knuckleheads: many are extremely emotionally charged right now and of course there's separately people who are just out to break as much s#!t as possible and loot. 

Our police are human beings too and probably have emotions running high right now too, but they should remain professionalism under pressure or find a new career. A lot of unprofessionalism in this thread. 

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This guy compiled a HUGE list (WAY more than 10 - I think it's in the 90s now) of suspect behavior from police. Interesting to peruse if you've got the time. They range the gamut from "I don't think that's really what that shows" to straight-up police brutality and unnecessary escalation. 

Enhance stated this well - there's right and wrong on both sides going around. But I personally hold the police to a higher standard. I expect a lot of protesters to be knuckleheads: many are extremely emotionally charged right now and of course there's separately people who are just out to break as much s#!t as possible and loot. 

Our police are human beings too and probably have emotions running high right now too, but they should remain professionalism under pressure or find a new career. A lot of unprofessionalism in this thread. 

I condemn violence by anyone and everyone involved, but one side has a lot more power than the other. The police need to be held to a MUCH higher standard since they're the ones with tear gas, pepper bullets, riot gear, armored vehicles, guns, etc.

I know we're focused on the ****ty aspects of this, but I find it equally important to highlight the positives, as in the above. 

BTW, for those active on Twitter, Rex Chapman is a surprisingly great follow. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a weird video. Protesters and Police are hanging out, no issues, and this person starts hammering at the sidewalk to break it into throwable chunks. The other protesters then tackle this person and deliver them to police.

You have to ask yourself why otherwise good people are turning to riots over and over in various cities. I think a lot of it is just dumbassery, but some of it is outside parties intending to turn peaceful protests into riots.

• Thanks 1

JFC. MAGA Klansman, come get your man. 

EDIT: Scalia was the deciding vote in Texas v. Johnson's 5-4 opinion. Trump is openly admitting that he has packed the Court packed to accomplish his wishes only.

• Plus1 1