The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yep, and the lockdowns ended pretty quickly after the actual peaceful protests 

No they actually didn't. I live in Michigan. The stay at home order has been extended almost every week for the last 2 monts. It now ends June 12th. Some restrictions we're relaxed, but that was the plan all along. To reopen in phases as certain criteria were met. The idiotic protests did nothing to change the plan. You still can't get a hair cut, you still can't gather in groups of 10 or larger, still can't eat in a restaurant except up North where things have been relaxed more because they are better off than in the metros.

It's pretty ignorant to try to compare a brand new never before event to one that has literally been brewing for decades, and if we're completely honest probably over a century now. Let's lock this country down for 6 more months and then see how peaceful the gun nuts are. I literally hear people saying the governor of Michigan needs to fear for her life if things don't open up by October. 

You want peaceful protests, but MLK was murdered. Ali was put in Jail. Rodney King was beat. Countless black men have been killed, jailed, and beaten since. White men and women too! You want peaceful protests, but when an NFL QB peacefully takes a knee we are outrage and don't want to listen. It's ruining our Sunday tradition. You want peaceful protests, but you don't want to have to pay attention to them. You don't want to have to care. You don't want to change.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Uhh, Trump is currently pouring kerosene all over this. Hearkens back to his campaign rhetoric from 2016.

Everyone knows he's a fake tough guy, but people are going to hear these words and it's going to have real-world effects that are bad.

He may as well just say he'll pardon them.

6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Uhh, Trump is currently pouring kerosene all over this. Hearkens back to his campaign rhetoric from 2016.

Everyone knows he's a fake tough guy, but people are going to hear these words and it's going to have real-world effects that are bad.

He's finished. The only way he wins reelection is through voter suppression and gerrymandering.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

He's finished. The only way he wins reelection is through voter suppression and gerrymandering.

Oh, he gets someone to pull a Tienanmen Square incident here on American soil and he is definitely done!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Oh, he gets someone to pull a Tienanmen Square incident here on American soil and he is definitely done!

If the military is turned on the American people... It's over. It violates the law, and everything this country was founded on.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Can anyone read this and condone what he is saying!?! They are protesting police brutality, and his solution is more excessive force, "RETRIBUTION!" He's losing it!

• Plus1 2

I condone longer jail sentences.  I think if you crush a guys skull with a skateboard that you should do more than a week in jail.  I am assuming you agree with that.

For the looting, I think I look at it like shoplifting.  If you didn't break the doors down but just went in afterwards and grabbed a TV, I sort of see that as just shoplifting.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

No idea what Trump would possibly say to the country in attempt to calm things down. Because there's no way he's going to say anything whatsoever that even hints at change or police reform.

He doesn't want calm. He wants the country to burn so he can institute martial law, suspend elections, and hold on to power.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

We're experiencing hundreds of thousands interactions between police and protester/rioters because of this ordeal. And we're up to what, about 90 cases of claimed malfeasance by the police. I'd venture a guess that some of those were more justified than the claims and video snippets would suggest. I'd also guess that most of them are exactly what they appear like and highly uncalled for. But wouldn't it only be fair to also track and mention and complain about the bad actions of the protesters. Why is nobody making a big deal over those? If you think those occurances only number around 90, I've got some beachfront property in western Nebraska you might be interested in. Hundreds of thousands of cell phones focused solely on capturing the police stepping over the line, while they are being pelted, taunted and assaulted nightly. Yet no outcry over the behavior of the crowds who have burned cars and buildings, vandalized everything within reach, broken into and looted numerous stores. Seems some would be well served to employ a more balanced approach to this whole sh#t sandwich. These are protests turned to riots. Maybe some of you should look up the word riot so you better understand all it means.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

It would help if we had a calming voice and some reasonable leadership. But in place of that we have an orange ape who insists on making matters worse. If the people (us) start choosing sides and we don't provide that reasonable voice and context, God help us.

• Plus1 2

I saw this on Twitter, so it must be true.  Insurance companies usually pay for riot damage to businesses, but an act of war or terror isn't covered by insurance.  With the president labeling ANTIFA as a terrorist organization, insurance companies can now claim the damage done by the riots and looting were caused by terrorism, and not vandalism.  This would take insurance companies off the hook for billions of $ of claims and payments.

If anyone has any better knowledge on the insurance industry, who can agree or refute with this information, that would be great.