The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I saw this on Twitter, so it must be true.  Insurance companies usually pay for riot damage to businesses, but an act of war or terror isn't covered by insurance.  With the president labeling ANTIFA as a terrorist organization, insurance companies can now claim the damage done by the riots and looting were caused by terrorism, and not vandalism.  This would take insurance companies off the hook for billions of $ of claims and payments.

If anyone has any better knowledge on the insurance industry, who can agree or refute with this information, that would be great.

Well, yes, "Riot and Civil Unrest" is usually a covered peril under most business and homeowners policies, and there are specific exclusions for terrorism and acts of war. Sometimes that is in the fine print, sometimes that gets its own page. 

When I was selling insurance and describing the different perils that we covered, sometimes we would joke about the weirdness/unlikeliness of some of the perils, but after Ferguson, MO happened, I actually mentioned to some business owners and homeowners that you just don't know what sort of crazy $h!t might happen.

I don't know much about the terrorism exclusions, because it never ever came up in any of the policies that I ever worked with. But I would imagine that a rogue president labeling a nebulous organization as a terrorist group, and then blaming damage on this group without evidence attaching it to them, would not fly. I would tend to think that, amid obvious rioting (which is covered), it would take extraordinary evidence to show that the damage was caused by bona fide terrorism. Trump's hot air does not define the legal or actuarial definitions of anything.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

No they actually didn't. I live in Michigan. The stay at home order has been extended almost every week for the last 2 monts. It now ends June 12th. Some restrictions we're relaxed, but that was the plan all along. To reopen in phases as certain criteria were met. The idiotic protests did nothing to change the plan. You still can't get a hair cut, you still can't gather in groups of 10 or larger, still can't eat in a restaurant except up North where things have been relaxed more because they are better off than in the metros.

It's pretty ignorant to try to compare a brand new never before event to one that has literally been brewing for decades, and if we're completely honest probably over a century now. Let's lock this country down for 6 more months and then see how peaceful the gun nuts are. I literally hear people saying the governor of Michigan needs to fear for her life if things don't open up by October. 

You want peaceful protests, but MLK was murdered. Ali was put in Jail. Rodney King was beat. Countless black men have been killed, jailed, and beaten since. White men and women too! You want peaceful protests, but when an NFL QB peacefully takes a knee we are outrage and don't want to listen. It's ruining our Sunday tradition. You want peaceful protests, but you don't want to have to pay attention to them. You don't want to have to care. You don't want to change.

A little louder for those in the back, please.

• Plus1 1

I'm only speaking from a cops perspective, I know there are other perspectives so to each their own and I appreciate those perspectives.

I don't think some of you have a clue how hard it is as an officer to deal with rioting, violence, having rocks and bricks thrown at you, being spit on, being told you're a POS, night, after night, after night all because you wear a uniform. Having to prepare your house for attack just in case your address got out on some list out there on the interwebs. We love the communities we serve and it's breaking our hearts to see them being destroyed. 

I get the anger behind all of this, but we're human too and we aren't machines. That stuff wears on you and sure there are bad cops out there, but people are going to cherry pick the videos they want that show cops in a bad light an edit it down to look even worse just to incite more violence and anger. And yes there are officers reacting in a very poor way during this protests, riots, etc and they need to stop NOW! The riots need to stop NOW! Peaceful protests, sure, do your thing, let your voice be heard, but the violent people, you're disgusting, you're selfish, and you're only doing this to justify your B.S. criminal activity! 

Our officers here kneeled in front of their headquarters in Des Moines with protestors......and it worked there and was a sight to see! On the NW side of the metro our officers did the same thing and all the protestors did was berate them and scream at them and refused to kneel with them. That group later destroyed that area of town and were gassed until they scattered. The side of town I grew up on, the southside, was destroyed last night as well. Rioters attempted to light the police academy on fire! 

Keep this perspective in mind when you're looking at things and reading everything out there. I'm only one officer and I know for a fact there are hundreds of thousands of my fellow officers that feel the same way! 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
3 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'm only speaking from a cops perspective, I know there are other perspectives so to each their own and I appreciate those perspectives.

I don't think some of you have a clue how hard it is as an officer to deal with rioting, violence, having rocks and bricks thrown at you, being spit on, being told you're a POS, night, after night, after night all because you wear a uniform. Having to prepare your house for attack just in case your address got out on some list out there on the interwebs. We love the communities we serve and it's breaking our hearts to see them being destroyed. 

I get the anger behind all of this, but we're human too and we aren't machines. That stuff wears on you and sure there are bad cops out there, but people are going to cherry pick the videos they want that show cops in a bad light an edit it down to look even worse just to incite more violence and anger. And yes there are officers reacting in a very poor way during this protests, riots, etc and they need to stop NOW! The riots need to stop NOW! Peaceful protests, sure, do your thing, let your voice be heard, but the violent people, you're disgusting, you're selfish, and you're only doing this to justify your B.S. criminal activity! 

Our officers here kneeled in front of their headquarters in Des Moines with protestors......and it worked there and was a sight to see! On the NW side of the metro our officers did the same thing and all the protestors did was berate them and scream at them and refused to kneel with them. That group later destroyed that area of town and were gassed until they scattered. The side of town I grew up on, the southside, was destroyed last night as well. Rioters attempted to light the police academy on fire! 

Keep this perspective in mind when you're looking at things and reading everything out there. I'm only one officer and I know for a fact there are hundreds of thousands of my fellow officers that feel the same way! 

Soooooo true!

Look, I deal with big groups of annoying kids at lunch, or in the morning or after school or at assemblies and s#!t like that...and THAT can be annoying and difficult and stress you the f#&% out.  There have been times where I had to raise my voice or give the "eye" or pull a kid aside and rip them...Those situations are not even in the same zip code as what cops are going through.

I could not IMAGINE what it would be like in a riot, looting, screaming, yelling, swearing, threatening situation.

I know some of the posters seem to think that it is easy as saying "just deescalate"  and "talk to them"...that sounds so nice...but again, it takes two.  Both sides have to be doing that.

A lot of posters have no clue what it is like.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I wish I could give you more than a trophy +1 for this. Thank you for what you do and please stay safe. Know that many of us have your back and appreciate what you’re having to deal with.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, QMany said:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that updated article. The last I read I thought he was questioned and released.

Before the incident, he posted on Facebook about BLM being a terrorist organization and would be pulling "48 hours of military firewatch." 

Hearing (word of mouth, unconfirmed) that the bar owner is not going to be charged but there's a press conference coming up this afternoon from the county attorney.

If true, I don't expect the reaction to this will be positive in a lot of pockets of Omaha. Granted, it wasn't a law enforcement officer that killed him, but a lot of people will view this as an injustice regardless of the reasons why.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Hearing (word of mouth, unconfirmed) that the bar owner is not going to be charged but there's a press conference coming up this afternoon from the county attorney.

If true, I don't expect the reaction to this will be positive in a lot of pockets of Omaha. Granted, it was a law enforcement officer that killed him, but a lot of people will view this as an injustice regardless of the reasons why.

I think this was a typo, just wanted to point that out. 

Jake Gardner wasn't a law enforcement officer. He was a former marine, loves Trump, had multiple gun problems before, called BLM a terrorist organization, and posted that he was going on a "military firewatch" just before this (premeditation?). 

I hope OPD releases some kind of factual explanation. I don't believe you can use lethal force to defend property, and self-defense can be raised once charged. 

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

If true, I don't expect the reaction to this will be positive in a lot of pockets of Omaha. Granted, it wasn't a law enforcement officer that killed him, but a lot of people will view this as an injustice regardless of the reasons why.

It was f'd from the beginning. The bar owner is a known dirtbag who went to instigate trouble. At the same time the guys in the video do look like the converge on him. Absolute no win situation that will end up causing much more mayhem in Omaha over the coming days.

1 minute ago, QMany said:

I think this was a typo, just wanted to point that out. 

Jake Gardner wasn't a law enforcement officer. He was a former marine, loves Trump, had multiple gun problems before, called BLM a terrorist organization, and posted that he was going on a "military firewatch" just before this (premeditation?). 

I hope OPD releases some kind of factual explanation. I don't believe you can use lethal force to defend property, and self-defense can be raised once charged. 

Yes fixed it as you were quoting :).

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It was f'd from the beginning. The bar owner is a known dirtbag who went to instigate trouble. At the same time the guys in the video do look like the converge on him. Absolute no win situation that will end up causing much more mayhem in Omaha over the coming days.

100% agree.

IMO Don Klein is a good dude so I don't think he would make this decision lightly and is well aware of how it may be received.

35 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

On the NW side of the metro our officers did the same thing and all the protestors did was berate them and scream at them and refused to kneel with them. That group later destroyed that area of town and were gassed until they scattered.

Is this like the Beaverdale area?

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I saw this on Twitter, so it must be true.  Insurance companies usually pay for riot damage to businesses, but an act of war or terror isn't covered by insurance.  With the president labeling ANTIFA as a terrorist organization, insurance companies can now claim the damage done by the riots and looting were caused by terrorism, and not vandalism.  This would take insurance companies off the hook for billions of $ of claims and payments.

If anyone has any better knowledge on the insurance industry, who can agree or refute with this information, that would be great.

I purchase commercial insurance and have it explained to me yearly (and I slept at a Holiday Inn more than once).

Riots and civil unrest are covered perils on my policy, and on most I believe.  Coverage for terrorism requires a special rider. I used to exclude it because the chances were so slim but it is very cheap to add it so now I do. I don’t believe Trump blaming ANTIFA or labeling them a terrorist organization quite qualifies for these being deemed a terrorist event. I believe it would take an official proclamation of some sort for these riots to become uncovered events. His wild rantings on twitter etc. shouldn’t qualify it as terrorism.

But at the end of the day it is going to cost somebody who it shouldn’t. Whether it’s directly the property owners or the insurance companies who will then increase premiums on specific policies and/or across the board, it still ends up costing society unnecessarily.

• Plus1 3