The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think you're right to some degree. I also think there's a measure of frustration and exhaustion (mental/physical) on behalf of law enforcement.

To be clear, I don't consider that an excuse for some of what we're seeing. If anything, we're seeing the exact kind of stuff that people are protesting about.

But I can't imagine it's easy being an officer during these times when people are targeting you with projectiles, screaming at you, and demanding things from you. And then on top of all that you might be on day four of 12's.

They signed up for this life. They have to be better. Most cops are walking around doing the right things during these troubling times so now is as good an opportunity as any to weed out the people that have no business being in law enforcement.

I couldn’t agree more. This would be an excellent time to weed out the bad eggs. But the ability to accomplish that is more of the problem than the bad officers themselves. The system is messed up and it is designed to foster and support the bad behavior and to defend it at virtually all costs. That is why the protests are necessary and why we’re still having these problems. If it were as easy as identifying the bad ones and firing them.....well it would be really easy.

I think a good start would be some legislation that prohibits police unions from fighting charges against accused officers. I’m not a fan of unions but they are probably somewhat of a necessity for that profession but I see no reason why their involvement has to include automatic defense of the scumbags who commit these atrocities. Maybe their role could be limited to negotiating contracts and working conditions only. But the automatic full faith and support of these organizations needs to be limited. Really, IMO it’s the major problem with all unions. Subpar bad employees are virtually impossible to get rid of.

• Plus1 2

Not sure if this has been followed up and shared yet here, but the Denver officer who posted the 'Let's start a riot' Instagram photo was fired Tuesday.

Obviously a major issue overall, but this also may be an example of the problem with social media gratification and over-sharing. Literally 30 seconds of actual, meaningful thought may have helped him here.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'm starting to get really, really pissed off.

I'm a veteran.  I served during war.  I fought for this country.  I didn't fight for freedoms so cops could come and piss all over them.

I have been thinking the protestors are wrong for breaking curfew...I will now be going to out break it with them.  I'll be encouraging every single person I know, young and old, to come out in force to do it.

I hope it's not too late to take America back to democracy from the brink of fascism....but if you don't think we're almost there based on these police videos, you aren't very intelligent or just don't care.

I'm with you.

• Plus1 1