The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh man, I heard about that but didn't think it was legit.  That is nuts.

I think those protest/riot crowds are composed of people of many motivations.

People tired of police abuse.

People who want justice for George Floyd and other victims.

People who see the inequalities in our system.

These groups are legit and primarily comprised of peaceful and possibly angry people.

Then you have;

Looters who want free sh#t.

Vandals who want to cause mayhem.

Groups that want to cause mayhem for various ulterior motives.

People that are fed up with quarantine or bored and want to party.

Slaves of social media who want to say they were there and share the proof.

When the latter group starts to get out of hand it incites the angiest in the former group to join in. Then likely the most deserving peaceful protesters leave for safety and because their message has been co-opted. And then the racist aholes who don't recognize there are real issues blame the wrong people and nothing changes until things get way too bad.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The jail records disagree. Still waiting for Ramsey County to release theirs, but Hennepin County shows the vast majority of those arrested the last two days were from Minnesota. All of the destruction yesterday was in Hennepin County so I doubt St Paul police was out there foiling these out-of-staters at a 100% success rate. 

I think state leadership is propping up a false story in hopes of making the crowds smaller tonight so that they can finally get control of the situation. The Minneapolis chief of police ran with this story too and said anyone in proximity of the destruction will be considered to be complicit.

The demonstrations have clearly been hijacked, but I'm not convinced that it's been taken by out-of-state anarchist groups looking to tear down society. It might just be the general public letting out pent up rage, and then seeing how easily they can overwhelm the police in numbers so they keep doing it.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

At any rate, I'm concerned that if the destruction isn't checked tonight that they may actually deploy the military. The Minnesota National Guard has been fully activated for the first time in the state's history. If that doesn't settle things then what else would be the next step? Shut down the city like Boston or Baltimore have seen in recent years?

Were there really a brand new pile of bricks that all of a sudden just appeared on a street corner in a riot/looting hot spot?  With no construction sites around at all?  I just saw that tweeted by someone running for Congress that I have never heard of, it had video and everything.  Angela Stanton King.

^^^ That's funny.

Denver is planning to enforce an 8pm curfew tonight. 3rd night of protests and the crowd as of now is the biggest yet. $999 fine and 300 days in jail...

One guy already transported to the hospital.....hit in the eye with a pepper ball.  Ouch!

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

^^^ That's funny.

Denver is planning to enforce an 8pm curfew tonight. 3rd night of protests and the crowd as of now is the biggest yet. $999 fine and 300 days in jail...

One guy already transported to the hospital.....hit in the eye with a pepper ball.  Ouch!

We (at least the Omahans) got an alert on our phones to not drive near 72nd and Dodge. That was an hour or 2 ago.

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

^^^ That's funny.

I have hit someone in the eye with a nut...they didn't have to go to the hospital but...we don't talk anymore. 

Just now, Moiraine said:

We (at least the Omahans) got an alert on our phones to not drive near 72nd and Dodge. That was an hour or 2 ago.

We did?  I did not get that!