The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t believe Trump blaming ANTIFA or labeling them a terrorist organization quite qualifies for these being deemed a terrorist event. I believe it would take an official proclamation of some sort for these riots to become uncovered events. His wild rantings on twitter etc. shouldn’t qualify it as terrorism.

Insurance companies will insurance company... they'll probably at least try it.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

A little louder for those in the back, please.

Who are those “in the back”? Who doesn’t understand this?

I would posit everyone who has posted in this thread gets it. And for the people that don’t get it, they aren’t going to. We understand the need for the protests. We understand that it can’t be totally lawful and peaceful or it will once again get ignored. But dang, we sure don’t have to like or accept some of the destruction and it’s okay to want to see it limited.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

We're experiencing hundreds of thousands interactions between police and protester/rioters because of this ordeal. And we're up to what, about 90 cases of claimed malfeasance by the police. I'd venture a guess that some of those were more justified than the claims and video snippets would suggest. I'd also guess that most of them are exactly what they appear like and highly uncalled for. But wouldn't it only be fair to also track and mention and complain about the bad actions of the protesters. Why is nobody making a big deal over those? If you think those occurances only number around 90, I've got some beachfront property in western Nebraska you might be interested in. Hundreds of thousands of cell phones focused solely on capturing the police stepping over the line, while they are being pelted, taunted and assaulted nightly. Yet no outcry over the behavior of the crowds who have burned cars and buildings, vandalized everything within reach, broken into and looted numerous stores. Seems some would be well served to employ a more balanced approach to this whole sh#t sandwich. These are protests turned to riots. Maybe some of you should look up the word riot so you better understand all it means.

Everything you've said is true. What's also true is that law enforcement and businesses are many multiple times more powerful than individual citizens. Tracking and mentioning and complaining about bad actions on both 'sides' the exact same amount is not fair, but is unfairly/disproportionately focused on the citizenry.

One person breaks a window. Bad action by a bad actor. What's the damage? A broken window covered by insurance, maybe some stolen property covered by insurance. Decent chance they'll get prosecuted and punished if caught on camera.

A cop hits a non-violent kid in the eye with a rubber bullet. What's the damage? The kid is blind in one eye for the rest of their life, maybe in crippling debt, and that cop will never face any accountability for it. 

Edit: All of that still has nothing to say about understanding but not condoning the pent up anger of decades worth of no progress in justice, and also nothing to say about the amount of citizens looting/rioting being different than those actually protesting and standing for something. I don't want to see my city burn. Especially Atlanta of all places. But I know most of the people doing the burning are provocateurs of chaos who do not reflect or represent anyone but themselves.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Who are those “in the back”? Who doesn’t understand this?

I would posit everyone who has posted in this thread gets it. And for the people that don’t get it, they aren’t going to. We understand the need for the protests. We understand that it can’t be totally lawful and peaceful or it will once again get ignored. But dang, we sure don’t have to like or accept some of the destruction and it’s okay to want to see it limited.

All I'm going to say on the matter is that I disagree with you and this assertion. 

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Everything you've said is true. What's also true is that law enforcement and businesses are many multiple times more powerful than individual citizens. Tracking and mentioning and complaining about bad actions on both 'sides' the exact same amount is not fair, but is unfairly/disproportionately focused on the citizenry.

One person breaks a window. Bad action by a bad actor. What's the damage? A broken window covered by insurance, maybe some stolen property covered by insurance. Decent chance they'll get prosecuted and punished if caught on camera.

A cop hits a non-violent kid in the eye with a rubber bullet. What's the damage? The kid is blind in one eye for the rest of their life, maybe in crippling debt, and that cop will never face any accountability for it. 

Edit: All of that still has nothing to say about understanding but not condoning the pent up anger of decades worth of no progress in justice, and also nothing to say about the amount of citizens looting/rioting being different than those actually protesting and standing for something.

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's a terrible tragedy when an innocent person gets harmed in one of these deals. But also, people need to be aware these are not safe places to be when teargas and rubber bullets are being used. It might be time to go and come back another day to peacefully protest when that crap begins.

And I like how you poo pop the destruction as covered by insurance. Like that cost is not born by anyone except filthy rich corporations. Here's a bit of knowledge, insurance companies don't pay for anything without collecting those funds from their policyholders. When their expenses increase so do premiums. It's not a victimless situation.

• Plus1 1

I know it's MSNBC but these videos of cops shooting at press and non-violent people on empty streets are pretty damn confusing: 

"Get out of here"

"OK where do I go? I'm press here's my ID card"

"hmmm better arrest him"

"I'm press! I'm press!"

"I don't care, get down"

"OK"

*pepper spray in the face*

trigger warning - blood

Spoiler

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

All I'm going to say is that I disagree with this. 

Well everyone was a pretty strong word. But I would say the vast majority get it. And the point is, shouting it louder for those in the back probably won't change their mind. It may have the opposite effect of hardening them to a message we should all agree on.