The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Man, I am willing to bet not one of you b!^@hing about cops has had a bad experience with them.  Yet there you are up your cross attacking a dude you don't know who has been nothing but helpful with his replies.

Some of you are acting like dorks.  

You're going to have to be more specific. 

16 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Hearing that 14 Minneapolis officers quit today and another 46 are filing for early retirement. That's ALOT of officers to lose in one day folks and that's what's probably going to start happening across the country. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it society! :(

If they're good police, then yea, that's going to hurt. 

If they're the type of police that has continually allowed to abuse their position of power, then good riddance. 

10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Your post is exactly what's been going on in this thread...you've been taking things super personally.  YOU do not equal ALL POLICE.  When we're talking about cops being bad...we're talking about s#!tty bad cops.  Don't lump yourself in with them just because they wear the uniform.

As for quitting your job, some things should mean more than money.  You're not there in that journey I guess.  To each their own.

There's plenty of evidence in this thread (and out there in the world) of people choosing not to make this discrepancy when they talk about police, so it's unfair to paint BRI as if he's making it personal all by his own conviction. He's not.

I do something similar when people go after "the media." Usually they'll backtrack and say 'well, I'm not talk about ALL media, I'm talking about this specific subset that fits the argument I'm trying to make.' While that may be true, that's not what's being said when criticizing "the media."

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok...I support the peaceful protests and forcing change. But, this is just stupidity. 

Agreed, there has to be a middle ground, and the ground this group is standing on is stupid. I don't mind the talk of de-funding certain parts of the police but this talk of abolishing is just plain stupid and will never get them anywhere. All it will do is make people not listen to them at all and go back to thinking they're crazy terrorists.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Do you prove every day that you're a good cop to yourself?  Then you'll have no problem with this because the proof will be evident.

I'm talking about the bad cops...the ones who do and say nothing when they see their brethren in blue break the law, piss on rights, and perpetrate unneeded violence...and the ones breaking that law, pissing on rights, and perpetrating violence. 

If you don't do the above and you don't sit idly by while your coworkers do, then you've nothing to prove to me or yourself.  You're a good cop.

Your post is exactly what's been going on in this thread...you've been taking things super personally.  YOU do not equal ALL POLICE.  When we're talking about cops being bad...we're talking about s#!tty bad cops.  Don't lump yourself in with them just because they wear the uniform.

As for quitting your job, some things should mean more than money.  You're not there in that journey I guess.  To each their own.

In this life I don't need to prove anything to anyone but myself...... I'm done conversing with you about this. 

I've seen a lot of this 'get rid of police' nonsense over the last two weeks and it's hard to take seriously. It's more or less extremism for fairly obvious reasons. A world without law enforcement is a world thrown into chaos, but I would be genuinely interested in what honest alternatives people have.

(As a side note, the little chirp birds who don't want to wear masks... where are they on seatbelt laws? If they're consistent then power to 'em I guess.)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

http://www.theruralbadge.com/2019/12/decide-what-you-want.html?m=1

If you're interested in a read that isn't Twitter, or Facebook, or a post from every Tom, d!(k and Harry who has an account and an opinion that they're pushing as the #truth 

Every officer needs to be an empathetic, well-spoken, SEAL-trained ninja, with double majors in psychology and social work, who considers the job a calling, and has no bills to pay, no nerves to fray, and enforces the law completely objectively while also using discretion at all times, unless it's going to result in arresting--or not arresting--the wrong person at the wrong time, for the wrong thing, in the opinion of every member of the public.

This whole writing is a straw man argument, because people aren't asking for the above. They're asking to not be beaten or murdered, and for police who do these things to face consequences for their actions a lot more often than they currently do. That isn't asking for even close to what this writing is claiming people are asking for.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This whole writing is a straw man argument, because people aren't asking for the above. They're asking to not be beaten or murdered, and for police who do these things to face consequences for their actions a lot more often than they currently do. That isn't asking for even close to what this writing is claiming people are asking for.

That's EXACTLY how every police officer in America feels right now though. And that was created in December before any of this. We deal with EVERYTHING that society wants fixed and that's wayyyyy more than just drug issues. So people expect us to be all those things. My perspective is different than yours on this article. 

How come everything has a counter argument from folks in here when it's posted? Read it for what it is. 

• Plus1 1

One thing that has entered my mind with some of what has gone on in the past 10 days is, if the U.S. were to ever become authoritarian, there isn't anyone else in the world to condemn our government or help us. No one is going to be willing to do that because they need to trade with us. We would be completely on our own.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1