The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

8 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

That's EXACTLY how every police officer in America feels right now though. And that was created in December before any of this. We deal with EVERYTHING that society wants fixed and that's wayyyyy more than just drug issues. So people expect us to be all those things. My perspective is different than yours on this article. 

How come everything has a counter argument from folks in here when it's posted? Read it for what it is. 

You're posting it here, in this thread, so I took the writing as an argument by you to what people are posting here. Not as a post to random people during normal times. People in this topic and people who are protesting and people who want police reform aren't asking for police to be 100% perfect, or really any of what is claimed in what you posted. And even if it was written in December, it's still very likely it was a reaction to calls for the police to be held accountable when an incident like this occurs, because there have been a lot of incidents in the news where someone is killed where people talk about police reform. I would assume that this writing is a reaction to those incidents. 

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You're posting it here, in this thread, so I took the writing as an argument by you to what people are posting here. Not as a post to random people during normal times. People in this topic and people who are protesting and people who want police reform aren't asking for police to be 100% perfect, or really any of what is claimed in what you posted. And even if it was written in December, it's still very likely it was a reaction to calls for the police to be held accountable when an incident like this occurs, because there have been a lot of incidents in the news where someone is killed where people talk about police reform. I would assume that this writing is a reaction to those incidents. 

I guess I should've clarified I was posting it more as an opinion piece that had some good opinions in it. 

15 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I say things you don't agree with and instead of conversing like an adult, you'd rather just dismiss it so you don't have to have your beliefs challenged. 

I don't agree that it's a good way of dealing with things, but you're entitled to remain ignorant of other points of view. 

Dude you've done nothing but tell me I need to prove to you I'm a good police officer and I'm the one that's ignorant?! Give me a break...... you've made up your mind on your side and obviously refuse to see my side of things so why should I keep trying to talk with you about it?! So who's really being the adult here by walking away and saying "It's cool, I'm done" 

• Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I guess I should've clarified I was posting it more as an opinion piece that had some good opinions in it. 

Gotcha. I assumed it was an argument against what people are saying here.

I think people are making some crazy statements and wouldn't be happy if the police weren't available to help them. Also... I had a small bit of empathy for people holding up certain inflammatory signs in the few days following what happened due to the sheer anger in the moment, but that needs to stop if they really want changes to be made. People aren't going to empathize with them anymore if they're carrying FTP signs and saying to abolish the police. I cringe whenever I see those signs.

• Fire 1

@BlitzFirst, just stop. I'm not sure why you're trying to make this personal with BRI, but it's ridiculous. Plus you're not making sense and contradicting yourself. Here's just one example:

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I didn't try to say you needed to prove anything. 

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Do you prove every day that you're a good cop to yourself?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Lol prove to yourself is not the same as prove to everyone else...BRI is trying to say that I want him to prove he's a good cop to ME.

That's false.

Also, I'm not making it personal at all...seriously.  I haven't been accusatory to BRI.  I haven't labeled him...I've said not listening to both sides of something is ignorant, but that's about it.  No one in this thread has taken anything personally except BRI.

You're asking him if he proves it every day. You're asking him to answer to you by asking him that question. 

And it's a bit silly to say "no one in this thread has taken anything personally except BRI." The topic is for the most part about police officers. He has a lot more excuse to take things personally than the rest of us right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

@BlitzFirst, just stop. I'm not sure why you're trying to make this personal with BRI, but it's ridiculous. Plus you're not making sense and contradicting yourself. Here's just one example:

Agree.  @BlitzFirst, you're making it personal when you shouldn't be.  @BIGREDIOWAN has made it very clear on here, even before your little tift here, that he is very upset about how police have handled themselves.  If you can't see from his posts that he conducts himself as an officer the way we would want all of the too, then that's on you, not him.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Proving to oneself that one is good INTERNALLY is not the same as someone demanding EXTERNAL proof of goodness.  Semantics aren't very fun to get into in a discussion...but that's what this is.

I haven't taken a single thing he's said personally yet.  He's taken multiple things I have.

You asked him if he proves it every day. If it's a rhetorical question you don't want an answer to, then don't ask it. He doesn't need to answer the question.

You're not getting it. This isn't a topic about your field. I think you said you work in health care. If we had a 40 page topic about how s#!tty health care workers are, the health care workers who participated in the discussion would be more likely to take things personally and should have a bit more leeway to do so.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Agreed on BRI, disagree on me.  This isn't personal for me at all...when I say things about police and EVERYONE knows it's about bad cops (we've been constantly telling BRI that we're talking about bad cops...he's seemed to get it with everyone except me), why does that mean I'm talking personally about BRI?  That's where it's been made personal.

Why is me talking about bad cops and reform in police depts mean I'm anti-cop?  That's an assumption made by BRI and it has colored every response he's made.

Almost everyone on here has discussed and made comments about bad cops and how upset we are at what they are doing.  

Now.....yours are, for some reason getting this response not just from BRI, but others too.  Maybe you need to reevaluate how your posts are coming across.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I'm not in healthcare...that's someone else. 

And I am getting it...his feelings are hurt.  I understand.  But this isn't personal...this is what is happening in society today...if people don't like my opinion, they're welcome to ignore it.  BRI is welcome to participate or not...he can walk away.  As I've said numerous times to him...this is larger than him and his local PD.  This is systemic across the US.  If he chooses to take it personally, that's on him...because I'm not making things about him.

Gotcha. Still, the point stands. BRI taking things personally and other people not doing so is not a fair comparison at all.

And I don’t think anyone was accusing you of taking things personally. They were accusing you of making things personal, which imo you were doing by some of the questions you asked BRI.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The Floyd case is really key to the good cop/bad cop debate. We can clearly see at least one of the cops getting really nervous about how Floyd is being treated, timidly trying to intervene, but afraid to countermand the senior officer. Had one of those cops stepped up and pulled Chauvin off Floyd and saved Floyd's life, we wouldn't know that he saved Floyd's life, just that he had challenged and embarrassed a senior officer during a routine arrest.  BRI can correct me, but a move like that might not mark the young officer as a hero. His life in the department could get very awkward from there. 

It just depends on the department culture and if that's something that's okay in that environment. Unfortunately not all law enforcement agencies are created equally so what's okay in one department may not be okay in another. It SHOULD be okay everywhere for an officer to step in if another officer is doing something wrong, there's no question about that! 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Why shouldnt BRI be on the defensiveis his way of life is being attacked.  Wouldnt you feel like your back was against the wall if what you did for a living was under attack.  I need to re affirm that im not a crook on a daily basis when someone asks me to fix there car.  I need to defend my position because people before me try to cheat others out of money.  

• Fire 1