The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

41 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Why shouldnt BRI be on the defensiveis his way of life is being attacked.  Wouldnt you feel like your back was against the wall if what you did for a living was under attack.  I need to re affirm that im not a crook on a daily basis when someone asks me to fix there car.  I need to defend my position because people before me try to cheat others out of money.  

Yep...

Similar boat here...EVERYONE knows how to teach better...everyone's kid is the smartest kid in the class...

36 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minneapolis-council-majority-backs-disbanding-233744273.html

These people have no idea what they're doing and they don't have a plan in place for the aftermath for this decision either. :facepalm: I'd move if I lived in Minneapolis! 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Absolute idiocy. 

Just wanted to add, they're going to replace it with something. The trouble is they aren't talking about the replacement, which makes the idea sound crazier. And we don't know if what they're going to come up with sounds smart. They need to talk about their plans and probably should have figured that out at the same time as voting on this and announcing it.

One idea I've thought of is to have a different name for people who would come out to inspect a counterfeit bill or someone selling cigarettes illegally. Things that are non violent offenses could be dealt with by people in a different uniform and a different name.

A more complete remaking of the department is likely to unfold in coming months.

Disbanding an entire department has happened before. In 2012, with crime rampant in Camden, New Jersey, the city disbanded its police department and replaced it with a new force that covered Camden County. Compton, California, took the same step in 2000, shifting its policing to Los Angeles County.

13 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think a good thing to start with is to require police to have more training.  Normally, you pass the LEE, go to the police academy and you're in (graduate of high school obviously).  This gives you a grand total of just about 2 months of training to do what they do.

I think that people who wield that much power, with a gun, called on to make decisions of infractions, breaking the law, and crimes being committed should have much more of a law or criminal justice background.

I think requiring a 2 year associates in one of those fields with specified training on rights violations (1st, 2nd, 4th amendments specifically) would go a long way in helping police to have a better positive image, interact with the public better, and to have less cases thrown out by the AD.

So if they do replace the force with something...best to have folks who are required to have more educational training on what is/isn't a crime and specific training on the rights afforded by the constitution.

There's little to no data on whether or not disbanding the police and forming something new will or won't work...so all eyes will be on Minneapolis I guess.

The average academy is 16-20 weeks. Field training is another 16-20 weeks...LPD is actually 22 weeks...so a minimum of 32 weeks, or 8 months before a rookie is on their own. This Field Training schedule of course is probably not true in 3-4 man departments in the sticks...but I doubt that is where the problems are

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Just wanted to add, they're going to replace it with something. The trouble is they aren't talking about the replacement, which makes the idea sound crazier. And we don't know if what they're going to come up with sounds smart. They need to talk about their plans and probably should have figured that out at the same time as voting on this and announcing it.

One idea I've thought of is to have a different name for people who would come out to inspect a counterfeit bill or someone selling cigarettes illegally. Things that are non violent offenses could be dealt with by people in a different uniform and a different name.

Not a bad idea, but that still leaves cops like Chauvin roaming the streets. It comes down to better training and a zero tolerance policy on racial discrimination or overstepping their power. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not a bad idea, but that still leaves cops like Chauvin roaming the streets. It comes down to better training and a zero tolerance policy on racial discrimination or overstepping their power. 

Ya, they really need to fix the image they have, which is probably deserved, that way too many get away with it.

It’ll be a combination of a lot of different things and I hope the lady yelling about abolishing the police is a small, crazy minority. Especially the way they treated the mayor. You can’t get anything from protests if you refuse to compromise.

10 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minneapolis-council-majority-backs-disbanding-233744273.html

These people have no idea what they're doing and they don't have a plan in place for the aftermath for this decision either. :facepalm: I'd move if I lived in Minneapolis! 

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Absolute idiocy. 

You realize that they're not just going to nuke the whole thing tomorrow and not have any police at all, right?  :facepalm: There's a process to things.

• Fire 1