The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

3 hours ago, Toe said:

You realize that they're not just going to nuke the whole thing tomorrow and not have any police at all, right?  :facepalm: There's a process to things.

Yep, sure do. :facepalm: It's still a dumb idea to disband a force of that size or even vote on it when all that hasn't been even talked about yet. What happens when 800 officers say "**** it, I'm out!" next week because of this? What's the plan then? 

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Yep, sure do. :facepalm: It's still a dumb idea to disband a force of that size or even vote on it when all that hasn't been even talked about yet. What happens when 800 officers say "**** it, I'm out!" next week because of this? What's the plan then? 

Yeah, nothing should happen overnight. Nothing this big when we're right in the middle of it and emotionally jacked up. 

There is a segment agitating to disband the police. They will get a lot of attention but that's not going anywhere. It's not the same as defunding the police, which also sounds really bad but at least has a plan behind it. I was new to the concept and I'm still looking into it, but it appears based on funding priorities -- not banishment -- and could shift some of the police duties to other public services better equipped to handle it. I grabbed this USA Today article, figuring it wouldn't be politically charged:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/08/what-does-defund-police-mean-george-floyd-black-lives-matter/5317240002/

However the future might work, I don't think allotting the police budget to the purchase of military equipment, gear and technique is the answer. It fuels the sense of the police waging war against its own people. I'm sure there are good cops underneath that armor, but right now they look like Imperial Storm Troopers. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, I can see why people are on about "defund the police."  If we can't recognize that this is a massive problem, and that previous efforts to fix it haven't fixed anything, then we are living in different realities. 

It doesn't have to be this way. Other countries don't live this way.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I mean, I can see why people are on about "defund the police."  If we can't recognize that this is a massive problem, and that previous efforts to fix it haven't fixed anything, then we are living in different realities. 

It doesn't have to be this way. Other countries don't live this way.

I assume this is highly related to another topic people like to twist logic about, which is guns. Both in the hands of police and civilians.

• Plus1 2

https://www.justsecurity.org/70507/white-supremacist-infiltration-of-us-police-forces-fact-checking-national-security-advisor-obrien/

I know that this has probably been discussed here before, but in the context of what is happening now, I think it has become all too clear that this is reality. 

From the article, which is a summation of multiple reports: 

An FBI intelligence assessment—titled “White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement” and published in 2006 during the administration of President George W. Bush—raised alarm over white supremacist groups’ interest in “infiltrating law enforcement communities or recruiting law enforcement personnel.” The report, based on FBI investigations and open sources, warned, for example, that skinhead groups were actively encouraging their members to become “ghost skins” within law enforcement agencies, a term the report said white supremacists use to describe members who “avoid overt displays of their beliefs to blend into society and covertly advance white supremacist causes.”

The article goes on with more studies and reports backing up this claim. This in no way means that all cops are White Supremists. It just goes to show that there has been an active campaign to get people with those beliefs into law enforcement positions. It also helps to explain some of the abject anger and brutality some of the above videos have shown. 

• Thanks 1

These cops acting like jackasses are making s#!t worse.  They are making the protestors even more passionate about the cause.  My wife works with a women whose husband had to go to the ER after being shot by rubber bullets in Omaha.  He was back out the next night with a car full of friends.   He’s a white guy that only went the first night to “check it out”.  Now he’s a full-on protestor and brought 4 other pissed of men.

They need to be pulled from service simply for the safety of the many good officers.  Some random guy with a suicide wish isn’t going to take the time to discern between the two groups.  It probably more likely an undeserving officer winds up hurt.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I have to think part of the behavior we're seeing on video is because the officers think Trump will pardon them.

He can't pardon state crimes (and Barr won't charge them in the first place). 

The President ... shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of impeachment.

U.S. Const. art. II, § 2, cl. 1 (emphasis added)

Does the President have authority to grant clemency for a state conviction?

No.  The President’s clemency power is conferred by Article II, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Constitution of the United States, which provides:  “The President . . . shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.”  Thus, the President’s authority to grant clemency is limited to federal offenses and offenses prosecuted by the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia in the name of the United States in the D.C. Superior Court.  An offense that violates a state law is not an offense against the United States.  A person who wishes to seek a pardon or a commutation of sentence for a state offense should contact the authorities of the state in which the conviction occurred.  Such state authorities are typically the Governor or a state board of pardons and/or paroles, if the state government has created such a board.

US Department of Justice, Office of the Pardon Attorney - Frequently Asked Questions

• Plus1 1