The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but the military should NOT remove an elected leader. It's one thing to refuse his orders if they are unconstitutional, but the military taking control of the state is a TERRIBLE idea.

Just tongue in check and a rouge thought.  I agree with your sentiments - if it came to the military doing something like that, it means we are already that 3rd world country.     I'll edit my post to make that clearer. 

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I agree and really, where do you draw the line as a "bad guy"

Is JFK bad because he cheated his way through college, came from a family of bootleggers, loved coke and cheating on his wife?

I'll draw the line at starting a civil war over the right to own slaves. I don't think the topic is over who's a bad guy or not a good guy. It's over who was so terrible their statues should be torn down. JFK definitely didn't do anything nearly bad enough to have that happen.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'll draw the line at starting a civil war over the right to own slaves. I don't think the topic is over who's a bad guy or not a good guy. It's over who was so terrible their statues should be torn down. JFK definitely didn't do anything nearly bad enough to have that happen.

Works for me!

So Christopher Columbus statues should stay up.  I agree.

Honest question. Prior to Trump's tweet/the latest riots; who here knew that Ft. Bragg and the like we're named after Confederate officers? I'd consider myself a decent military buff when I was younger, and never even knew or cared who they were named after.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Utterly tone deff.

Even if that's really how he feels your an idiot to send it out. I don't know how many emails I've just turned into calls at work because some things just shouldn't be documented either because of legality or because it's not a good work topic.

17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Honest question. Prior to Trump's tweet/the latest riots; who here knew that Ft. Bragg and the like we're named after Confederate officers? I'd consider myself a decent military buff when I was younger, and never even knew or cared who they were named after.

I had no clue.  But, now that I know....change them.

20 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I had no idea, but then I didn't think the military would be stupid enough to allow those names on those forts, considering they were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

25 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I teach history and didn't know.

No one knew or cared.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Welcome to why nobody knew.

Sorry....couldn't resist.

It's the curriculum, not the front-line teachers (which I know you know). The same curricula that glosses over Columbus' atrocities, or doesn't teach kids about the Tulsa Race Riot, or the true horrors of the Jim Crow south.

American history is horribly white-washed. Maybe President Biden will correct that.  /s

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I had no idea. I was just talking to a buddy of mine who spent seven years in the military (including time at Fort Hood) and he didn't know, either. Such a strange situation.

IMO there's nothing wrong with studying and/or acknowledging the prowess of confederate military leaders. Many of them were brilliant tacticians. But, immortalizing them in this fashion is odd/wrong. It seems like another example of the strange ways pockets of America idolize the confederacy.