The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Just now, Enhance said:

I had no idea. I was just talking to a buddy of mine who spent seven years in the military (including time at Fort Hood) and he didn't know, either. Such a strange situation.

IMO there's nothing wrong with studying and/or acknowledging the prowess of confederate military leaders. Many of them were brilliant tacticians. But, immortalizing them in this fashion just feels... odd. On the surface, it seems like another example of the strange ways pockets of America idolize the confederacy.

It'd be like naming an American military base after Rommel or Yamamoto.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Only difference is, both were accomplished field officers.

Most of the Confederate generals with statues were terrible, and got a lot of their men needlessly killed.

20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Tulsa Race Riot

This term has been changed in Tulsa to the Tulsa Race Massacre - a truer description now that the facts are out.  Basically a bunch of white thugs given full reign to burn what was known then  as "Black Wall Street".  Well over 300 African Americans died but no one knows the exact count.  100s of homes and businesses burned down.  All because a white female elevator operator said a young black man/boy molested her in the elevator - which was never proven.  Some said it was a set up so that the racists could vent their anger at the success the "Negro" was having on the other side of the tracks.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I was actually wondering about this as I typed my post.

I wonder how a place like Germany treats some of its military leaders from the early part of the 20th century? I did a quick Google search and came across a few articles I'd like to read about it all, but this one from the Philadelphia Inquirer was interesting. It's from 2017.

The United States is not alone in confronting this dilemma. Countries across the globe routinely grapple with how to handle reminders of unsavory chapters in their history. Recently, the issue has made headlines from Ukraine to Taiwan.

But nowhere have the questions about the physical markers of unwanted pasts — first Nazi, then Communist and, lately, colonial — played out as long as they have in Germany. Over the last 70 years, the country has accepted a simple truth: Out of sight hardly means out of mind. The removal of the relics of a hateful social order is not in itself cause for celebration. It is the aftermath that matters.

Things I never learned about in school:

• Tulsa Massacre

• Jim Crow

• Redlining

• The U.S. shipping Jews back to axis-europe

• Churchill's pretty disgusting racism

• Christopher Columbus slaughtering indigenous people

• The G.I. Bill, Homesteaders Act, etc.

But my 3rd grade teacher did talk about attending a "fascinating" Ku Klux Klan rally in NC in the 90's

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Things I never learned about in school:

• Tulsa Massacre

• Jim Crow

• Redlining

• The U.S. shipping Jews back to axis-europe

• Churchill's pretty disgusting racism

• Christopher Columbus slaughtering indigenous people

• The G.I. Bill, Homesteaders Act, etc.

But my 3rd grade teacher did talk about attending a "fascinating" Ku Klux Klan rally in NC in the 90's

While I remember being taught about stuff like Jim Crow and and the Trail of Tears as a kid I wonder if stuff like that should be taught again in HS. On another note I grew up like an hour drive from 2 different reservations. Would’ve been really cool and a great learning experience to take a field trip there and watch a pow wow or something. Maybe kids can’t really appreciate the culture behind it but I thought NA culture (specifically pacific NW) was really cool when I was younger. 

As far as Columbus goes its weird how much misinformation is spread about him. Things like that he was sailing to India which is why the indigenous people got the name ‘indians’. He was actually sailing to Japan. He was arrested and jailed for his mistreatment of Spanish colonists and the native Taino people he became governor of in the encomiendo system. The Spanish crown sent an investigator over and the report of his savage tyranny was found in 2006. Bartolome de Las Casas was a priest who transcribed Columbus’ diary which is where most of our information on him comes from. Las Casas ended up forfeiting his own encomienda and advocated for the rights of the native people. He documented most accounts of the atrocities that took place as the Spanish colonized the Americas. Although, in his fight for rights for the natives he proposed they bring in African slaves. It’s debated whether he had any affect on the creation of the trans Atlantic slave trade or not.

Sorry I went so off topic.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

While I remember being taught about stuff like Jim Crow and and the Trail of Tears as a kid I wonder if stuff like that should be taught again in HS. On another note I grew up like an hour drive from 2 different reservations. Would’ve been really cool and a great learning experience to take a field trip there and watch a pow wow or something. Maybe kids can’t really appreciate the culture behind it but I thought NA culture (specifically pacific NW) was really cool when I was younger. 

As far as Columbus goes its weird how much misinformation is spread about him. Things like that he was sailing to India which is why the indigenous people got the name ‘indians’. He was actually sailing to Japan. He was arrested and jailed for his mistreatment of Spanish colonists and the native Taino people he became governor of in the encomiendo system. The Spanish crown sent an investigator over and the report of his savage tyranny was found in 2006. Bartolome de Las Casas was a priest who transcribed Columbus’ diary which is where most of our information on him comes from. Las Casas ended up forfeiting his own encomienda and advocated for the rights of the native people. He documented most accounts of the atrocities that took place as the Spanish colonized the Americas. Although, in his fight for rights for the natives he proposed they bring in African slaves. It’s debated whether he had any affect on the creation of the trans Atlantic slave trade or not.

Sorry I went so off topic.

I felt like I learned the same history crap over and over from about 2nd grade to 12th grade.

I think if Harriet had a choice in this matter, she'd prefer that President Biden and not President Trump honor her with her image on the $20 bill to replace Pres Jackson - one of trump's favorite presidents.

By the way, if you haven't seen the movie "Harriet", by all means do so.  My wife and I were very touched by it, amazed at her courage and inspired by her passion.   It is a very well done movie and taught us things we didn't know about her. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/politics/treasury-department-harriet-tubman-bill.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur

The Trump administration has no plans to unveil a new $20 bill this year bearing the image of Harriet Tubman — a former slave, abolitionist and “conductor” on the Underground Railroad — despite nationwide calls to correct longstanding racial injustices that have fueled protests in recent weeks.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Thursday that a new $20 bill would not be released until 2030 and that a future secretary would make the decision about whether Andrew Jackson would be replaced as the face of the note.

Mr. Mnuchin called it a “myth” that he was delaying the change, despite the fact that the Obama administration had initiated a timeline that would have had the Treasury Department unveil a design of the bill in 2020, the centennial of the 19th Amendment establishing women’s suffrage.

In a news briefing, the Treasury secretary said that redesigning the currency required developing complicated anticounterfeiting technology and a new printing process, which takes many years.

“This is something that is in the distant future,” Mr. Mnuchin said.

Asked if the process should be accelerated in response to recent unrest, Mr. Mnuchin said that the currency timelines were set by career officials in an extensive interagency process. The $10 bill is next to be redesigned and released in 2026, and Mr. Mnuchin indicated that he had no intention of replacing Alexander Hamilton, the first Treasury secretary, on that bill.

A Treasury Department spokesperson noted that the 2030 timeline was set before 2015 by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the Federal Reserve Board and the Secret Service. They decided to redesign the $10 and the $50 first because the $20 is the standard A.T.M. note. Because it has the highest volume of the three, it requires robust security features and sufficient time to make those security changes.

“It says everything you need to know about President Trump’s values that he can’t even do the lightest of lifts to honor Harriet Tubman,” Mr. Schumer said in a statement. “He’s refusing to put her portrait on the $20 bill, but he’s continuing to honor Confederate generals who fought to preserve slavery.”

Although the Obama administration had announced the plans for a Tubman note with great fanfare and said that the design would be unveiled in 2020, the Treasury Department has maintained that such a plan was never realistic.

“We have always had a policy of not releasing images until six months or so prior to the bill coming out,” Mr. Mnuchin said on Thursday. “We have not changed any of this.”

More on the $20 Bill