The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Redlining no, Columbus yes.

Gotcha. I think you might be a few years younger than me (maybe things changed in that time span), and Landlord grew up in a town of like 7 people. It probably depends a lot on the district. I understand your point on the taxes but I'm 99.9% sure I never heard anything negative about Columbus in school.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Gotcha. I think you might be a few years younger than me (maybe things changed in that time span), and Landlord grew up in a town of like 7 people. It probably depends a lot on the district. I understand your point on the taxes but I'm 99.9% sure I never heard anything negative about Columbus in school.

I remember us talking about being the same age.  Maybe I'm just good at remembering weird random stuff.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I remember us talking about being the same age.  Maybe I'm just good at remembering weird random stuff.

and I'm not that good at it... so maybe I'm remembering all of this wrong :P . For some reason I thought you were ~5 years younger than me.

I will say we definitely learned about things like Native Americans being given infected blankets.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm more sophisticated and mature than I let on.  I promise!

Haha. I didn't mean because you are super immature but because I thought that's what you had said at some point.

Uh, weird topic to talk about this but does anyone else ever wonder if we're gonna be posting here in 40 years?

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I mean to be fair I grew up in Columbus and the mascot is the Discoverers, so I don't think it behooved the culture to shoot straight about Columbus' deeds lol

Now the truth comes out. And Columbus is bigger than my hometown... for some reason I thought you grew up in a really rural town. Apparently my Huskerboarder trivia game is really bad.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Haha. I didn't mean because you are super immature but because I thought that's what you had said at some point.

Uh, weird topic to talk about this but does anyone else ever wonder if we're gonna be posting here in 40 years?

Now the truth comes out

I don't want to post here now but I'm addicted and my trolling techniques are too subtle to warrant a ban apparently. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

What was dumb about it, exactly? I could see someone picking up on a little toxic masculinity, but dumb? I said it'd go differently in other parts of the country....and it certainly would.:dunno

Not saying I want it to happen, but the thought experiment of just 100 people “invading” my hometown makes me laugh.   The one cop on duty would s#!t his pants!  

I can’t imagine anyone i grew up with shooting someone for stealing Doritos from the local gas station...

the guys i went to school with that talk the biggest game were turds in HS. They were scared of the school secretary,

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

for some reason I thought you grew up in a really rural town. Apparently my Huskerboarder trivia game is really bad.

I went to middle/high school in Rising City, population ~450 

12 kids in my graduating class

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

I went to middle/high school in Rising City, population ~450 

12 kids in my graduating class

Ok, so to the original point, you went to a tiny school. I'm guessing those schools would be less likely to teach about something like that. But mine was the same way.