The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That's a good link, and the interactive map is interesting. Thanks Red.

When clicking on the city tabs, just remember that there are different views as to what is "proper" and "peaceful"...both in action and response.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is getting stupid. These protesters are just tearing down any statue without even knowing who they are. 

lol. 

I’ve been okay with the others being torn down... although ideally they should go in museums. But good job making a lot of other people look stupid with your dumb a$$ act. 

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’ve been okay with the most others being torn down...

There's been a few others that just don't make sense.  I've mostly supported the protests.  But, there are things going on that just shouldn't be supported and actually go against their cause.  

I understand the pent up anger by a lot of people.  But, it seems like others are just taking the opportunity to destroy anything.

And...yes, I wish these were being taken down and put in a museum that tells the story of the person so people can learn about the history.  Both good and bad.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'd be wary of who is actually leading the charge to pull these statues down. They're infiltrating agitators into these protests to incite violence, and sometimes wrong-headed violence. The goal is to make the protesters look bad.

I agree. I've thought about this when I've seen video of a bunch of white guys tearing down a statue. Yes....white people are supporting the protests appropriately.  But, knowing they have been infiltrated by agitators, it makes me wonder.

At this point, even the Minneapolis Police Chief is calling it murder:

"Chauvin knew what he was doing," Arradondo said in a statement. "The officers knew what was happening -- one intentionally caused it and the others failed to prevent it. This was murder."

Thing is, it looks like he's doing this mainly as a CYA measure to protect himself and the rest of the police department. He's talking up how Chauvin and the rest of the PD had received training to prevent asphyxiation. He knows trying to save Chauvin & co is a lost cause at this point, so he's trying to distance himself and the rest of the PD to shield them from more lawsuits.
  • Thanks 1

IMO any statue that needs to be removed should be torn down by the appropriate folks and, in many cases, preserved. I think it's important to be able to go to a museum and see some of these things as opposed to just reading about them in text book. Those visual, intimate experiences always stick with people more than what a textbook can provide, and forgetting history means we're just doomed to repeat it.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO any statue that needs to be removed should be torn down by the appropriate folks and, in many cases, preserved. I think it's important to be able to go to a museum and see some of these things as opposed to just reading about them in text book. Those visual, intimate experiences always stick with people more than what a textbook can provide, and forgetting history means we're just doomed to repeat it.

I somewhat agree, but we also don't need every statue in order to remember the past.

• Plus1 1