The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Just now, DevoHusker said:

looks like this, a Karambit blade

image.png.bb045f3176b28210ca071279087fbb4e.png

It does. The thing is, the police said he had a knife in his car, not on him. If that's the knife in the video frame @Enhance posted, maybe they didn't know he was carrying it, because it looks like his body was shielding that object from their view? Hard to say.

It could also be any number of dangly-things that people attach to their key rings, or it could be the key fob for his car - I have two that are huge, and would easily be seen in a video frame like this. Lord knows why they make them so large.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It does. The thing is, the police said he had a knife in his car, not on him. If that's the knife in the video frame @Enhance posted, maybe they didn't know he was carrying it, because it looks like his body was shielding that object from their view? Hard to say.

It could also be any number of dangly-things that people attach to their key rings, or it could be the key fob for his car - I have two that are huge, and would easily be seen in a video frame like this. Lord knows why they make them so large.

I agree on the bolded, from when the still shot was lifted. But, I still want to know what transpired in the 15-20 seconds PRIOR to the video starting. It sure appears that they were coming up off the ground at the passenger side rear, maybe a scuffle there?

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree on the bolded, from when the still shot was lifted. But, I still want to know what transpired in the 15-20 seconds PRIOR to the video starting. It sure appears that they were coming up off the ground at the passenger side rear, maybe a scuffle there?

YES. That's really weird to me. It appears they were getting up, so they had him on the ground at one point? And then he just gets up and walks away from the cops, at least one of whom has his gun on the guy, and he still walks away. It's really weird.

Do Kenosha cops have body cams?  That's going to be the evidence we need, barring some new video showing a better angle and a clearer view.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Yep, I think that piece of missing info would be pretty important. We are missing so much context.

Just now, knapplc said:

Do Kenosha cops have body cams?  That's going to be the evidence we need, barring some new video showing a better angle and a clearer view.

I thought I read somewhere that they did not have bodycams, but they were earmarked for the 2022 budget. Welp...

7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I thought I read somewhere that they did not have bodycams, but they were earmarked for the 2022 budget. Welp...

I have read several sources that this is correct...couldn't afford them but had managed to get the funding for end of 2021 or in 2022

13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But, I still want to know what transpired in the 15-20 seconds PRIOR to the video starting. It sure appears that they were coming up off the ground at the passenger side rear, maybe a scuffle there?

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

YES. That's really weird to me. It appears they were getting up, so they had him on the ground at one point? And then he just gets up and walks away from the cops, at least one of whom has his gun on the guy, and he still walks away. It's really weird.

There is a second angle of the shooting from the front right side of the car (about 40-50 feet in front of it). Quality/camera work is poor, but the video doesn't really tell us much more or less than what we see from the video across the street. There does appear to be some sort of scuffle on the ground next to the car when all of a sudden Blake can be seen walking away from the scuffle and around to the other side of his car.

This was the quickest clip I could find on YouTube:

Spoiler

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

There is a second angle of the shooting from the front right side of the car (about 40-50 feet in front of it). Quality/camera work is poor, but the video doesn't really tell us much more or less than what we see from the video across the street. There does appear to be some sort of scuffle on the ground next to the car when all of a sudden Blake can be seen walking away from the scuffle and around to the other side of his car.

This was the quickest clip I could find on YouTube:

Reveal hidden contents

Although a lot of details are sketchy at best, one thing we know for sure is that there is some $h!tty police work going on in Kenosha all the way around.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Although a lot of details are sketchy at best, one thing we know for sure is that there is some $h!tty police work going on in Kenosha all the way around.

Agreed. The situation raises way more questions than what feels necessary, even for a short video that doesn't provide much context.

I usually try to give all parties the benefits of the doubt in these situations and not rush to judgement, but it's near impossible to do so in this situation because of just how weird the whole thing is. The people trying to make excuses (like Blake having a warrant out for his arrest and probably not being the most model member of society) are not technically wrong, but they sure as hell come off as tone deaf and ignorant.

• Plus1 1