The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Just now, DevoHusker said:

If 13 percent commit over 50 percent of violent crime, they have 4 times more chance to negatively interact with police than their representative number. It has everything to do with the discussion, and you are using deflection rather than say that there is a factual correlation because it doesn't fit your narrative.

UNARMED is the key word you're missing, apparently. That 36% of people killed WHILE UNARMED are not committing violent crime.

George Floyd - unarmed. Killed by police. Not committing violent crime when killed.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

UNARMED is the key word you're missing, apparently. That 36% of people killed WHILE UNARMED are not committing violent crime.

George Floyd - unarmed. Killed by police. Not committing violent crime when killed.

Unarmed is one portion of the graph. 

And, if you think that violent crime doesn't occur unless you are armed, you are mistaken.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Not necessarily so.  Michael Brown killed.  Was initially unarmed until he attacked a police office and tried to take his weapon.  Cop exonerated by Obama FBI.  Each instance has to be taken in a case by case basis. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I'm not seeing anything in the article that refutes what Knapp said...

From the article: "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Edit:  It's easy to find a lot of quotes where Kap says he's protesting to bring attention to victims like Sandra Bland.  But I also found an article where he says the specific shooting that caused him to kneel was a Bay Area man who was suspected in a stabbing and was shot 20 times because he refused to drop his knife.  I think we should all be able to agree that violent criminals are most likely met with violence and it's most often justified. But that doesn't make it okay to respond to non-violent "criminals" with violence even if it's only once in a while.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Not necessarily so.  Michael Brown killed.  Was initially unarmed until he attacked a police office and tried to take his weapon.  Cop exonerated by Obama FBI.  Each instance has to be taken in a case by case basis. 

"It's complicated, so we should just ignore the whole thing"

• Plus1 3
50 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm not seeing anything in the article that refutes what Knapp said...

From the article: "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Edit:  It's easy to find a lot of quotes where Kap says he's protesting to bring attention to victims like Sandra Bland.  But I also found an article where he says the specific shooting that caused him to kneel was a Bay Area man who was suspected in a stabbing and was shot 20 times because he refused to drop his knife.  I think we should all be able to agree that violent criminals are most likely met with violence and it's most often justified. But that doesn't make it okay to respond to non-violent "criminals" with violence even if it's only once in a while.

Thanks for your comments. I too think even once in a while is too much, but do think that a narrative that those acts are perpetrated based solely on race is not accurate.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

a narrative that those acts are perpetrated based solely on race is not accurate.

Open your eyes.

13% of Americans are Black.

36% of UNARMED people killed by cops are Black.

Or don't open your eyes. Fine. Those who don't want to see don't have to.

But don't be expected to be taken seriously with comments like this.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

That's extremely sad.

Meth and fentanyl are bad.

And they're really deadly if you don't put your full weight through your knee on someone's neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds.  That's the best way to revive someone.  Then by all means don't check for a pulse.  That's a really deadly combination. 

• Plus1 1