The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Warning, this is a bit graphic.

The officer who shot Wright can clearly be heard yelling that she's going to tase him, then shouting "TASER! TASER! TASER!" before she fires. When she realizes it was her sidearm, she says, "s#!t" and tells the other officers what happened.

This is a tragic, but perfect example of why the delusion that some 2A devotees have that the best way to keep Americans safe from gun violence is more guns. Even a trained police officer makes mistakes in high-stress situations. 

More guns are not the solution to America's gun problem. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

As an active-duty member of the military in good standing, he's authorized to concealed carry per the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act

Okay, thanks!

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The officer who shot Wright can clearly be heard yelling that she's going to tase him, then shouting "TASER! TASER! TASER!" before she fires. When she realizes it was her sidearm, she says, "s#!t" and tells the other officers what happened.

This is a tragic, but perfect example of why the delusion that some 2A devotees have that the best way to keep Americans safe from gun violence is more guns. Even a trained police officer makes mistakes in high-stress situations. 

Tragic situation 

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So she goes down for manslaughter then, right?

• Plus1 1

This is just awful. I feel for the Wright family and that mistake by the office is unacceptable. 

My dad teaches police in this area for a living. I havent chatted with him, but there is a chance he trained this officer or for sure knew her(he worked in a neighboring town).

High stress is part of the job and not knowing the difference between a gun and a taser is high incompetence. 

A man died because of it. Accident or not, she should be fired and probably face some sort of charges. 

My other concern is the act of force. So they pulled him over for I believe a warrant? but I dont fully understand going right to a taser there. 

Brooklyn Center is a very diverse city in the northwest suburbs of the Twins Cities. 

My stomach is sick. Reminds me a bit of the officer who killed the Australian woman because he got scared. 

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I wonder what the guy thought was going to be the end result when he broke free and tried to evade police?  

it’s not a death sentence type crime, but it’s a crime that often results in a longer sentence at best and someone’s death at worst. 

Who knows?  Have they said what the warrant was for?  I mean if it's over outstanding parking tickets I don't see why he'd run.  But if he was looking at something big, it might begin to explain the desperation...

13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Who knows?  Have they said what the warrant was for?  I mean if it's over outstanding parking tickets I don't see why he'd run.  But if he was looking at something big, it might begin to explain the desperation...

That’s true...unfortunately his choice had a bad outcome for himself.  He turned whatever sentence he was gonna get into a death sentence.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

not knowing the difference between a gun and a taser is high incompetence

I'm no expert on handguns or tasers, but every police officer I have ever met has their gun and their tasers or any other equipment on completely different parts of their uniforms. Tasers and guns don't look the same, and I imagine they don't feel the same, either. I simply can't fathom not being able to tell the difference, especially for a trained officer.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, funhusker said:

Not that it matters, but I'm curious what his warrant was for.  We know that it going to be a point people make in trying to defend the police in this.

The old "only commit one crime at a time".

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

This is f#&%ed up... People make mistakes, but goddamn, it cost a man his life.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That’s true...unfortunately his choice had a bad outcome for himself.  He turned whatever sentence he was gonna get into a death sentence.  

He did not. The officer's incompetence turned it into a death sentence.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The old "only commit one crime at a time".

This is f#&%ed up... People make mistakes, but goddamn, it cost a man his life.

He did not. The officer's incompetence turned it into a death sentence.

I half Agree with your officer take which was part of the equation , however, he also bears responsibility for taking off when under arrest.  He’s most likely alive today if he gets cuffed and put into the squad car. 

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Ulty said:

I'm no expert on handguns or tasers, but every police officer I have ever met has their gun and their tasers or any other equipment on completely different parts of their uniforms. Tasers and guns don't look the same, and I imagine they don't feel the same, either. I simply can't fathom not being able to tell the difference, especially for a trained officer.

Correct.

The taser is usually on the non dominate side but facing in a way that you reach across your body to access it.

It is a completely different movement.

This Officer had 26 years of experience. There is no excuse to her using the wrong one.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

What in the world does this unfortunate police encounter have anything to do with a gun debate like some are trying to make it into?   Unless someone is trying to make a case for legislation that citizens shouldn’t carry a taser and handgun at the same time 

In which Archy pretends not to understand how a 26 year veteran of the police force accidentally shooting and killing a person has no implications on how everyday people would use a gun.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

In which Archy pretends not to understand how a 26 year veteran of the police force accidentally shooting and killing a person has no implications on how everyday people would use a gun.

Not sure I follow? Archy made a valid point. This was a horrible mistake by a member of law enforcement.

This had absolutely nothing to do with "gun reform" for the average gun owner, who cannot/do not own tasers and are not trying to apprehend criminals. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1