The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

People suck at empathizing. They wouldn’t tell him why he had to get out of the car and he’s seen Black men in handcuffs get killed by police. He had a reason to panic just like the police officer did. 

When they told him he had a warrant, he fought them, broke free, and jumped back into his car to flee.

• Plus1 1

That is a tough one.  If I am a cop and I see the dude has a warrant (I am assuming the warrant explains what happened?), I am not so sure I am going to be like "Pardon me, sir, we have this warrant issued, for you, because you choked a female and held a gun to her head, could you step out of the car"

I feel like I would just try and get them out of the car first.   I have no clue if there is a protocol for it or not but it seems like you would want them out of the car, first, if possible. 

Or maybe in that situation you keep him in the car and call for backup, like 3 other cop cars, to box him in???

I don't know.  Clearly you don't try and break free and clearly you don't use your real gun as a stun gun.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

That is a tough one.  If I am a cop and I see the dude has a warrant (I am assuming the warrant explains what happened?), I am not so sure I am going to be like "Pardon me, sir, we have this warrant issued, for you, because you choked a female and held a gun to her head, could you step out of the car"

I feel like I would just try and get them out of the car first.   I have no clue if there is a protocol for it or not but it seems like you would want them out of the car, first, if possible. 

Or maybe in that situation you keep him in the car and call for backup, like 3 other cop cars, to box him in???

I don't know.  Clearly you don't try and break free and clearly you don't use your real gun as a stun gun.

Ya good point. He shouldn't have run, I just get tired of hearing that for literally every incident, as an excuse to try to make it ok that the person got shot.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya good point. He shouldn't have run, I just get tired of hearing that for literally every incident, as an excuse to try to make it ok that the person got shot.

Yeah, and it was a totally different type of running because he was sort of in custody.  Like, had he got out of the car and just started running before they were even close, that is different.  The proximity of everyone really changed the situation.  

Still, using a gun when you think it is a taser is just bad.  

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Too many cops feel they are judge, jury and executioner. There are many cops that deescalate, these are the ones that do amazing work. But for some reason we have many running around that want to escalate situations. Too many people try and justify the shootings with "well, he was a criminal" - yeah duh, that doesn't mean it's a cop's job to decide guilt and punish. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...